Panamera 2010-Current

971 4 vs 4S - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 11:26 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
Yes that is correct. But the acceleration of the E-Hybrid has been clocked on numerous reviews at 4 seconds flat zero to sixty even though Porsche officially says 4.4 seconds. I think the Panamera 4 comes in around 5 seconds so that is quite a difference. Also I guess the extra 22 HP versus the 4S essentially makes up most of the difference in acceleration and there is no turbo lag which I did experience when test driving the 4S. Some reviews have indicated the extra weight of the batteries actually helps with the handling although I am somewhat skeptical about that. Regardless, to me the E-Hybrid makes a lot of sense given the IRS tax credit and the ability to drive on electric alone. Not really overly excited about the increased gas mileage, but that is also a nice feature. To each his own and that is what makes the Panamera so interesting.
I agree with you on both of the points (highlighted from your post). Cornering, and braking are definitely affected by extra weight, even though the batteries lower the center of gravity of the car. As far as Porsche pricing is concerned, the 4 E-Hybrid is the screaming bargain of the Panamera line-up. To me, it should be priced higher than the 4S, given the batteries, and all the extra technology.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:27 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
I agree with you on both of the points (highlighted from your post). Cornering, and braking are definitely affected by extra weight, even though the batteries lower the center of gravity of the car. As far as Porsche pricing is concerned, the 4 E-Hybrid is the screaming bargain of the Panamera line-up. To me, it should be priced higher than the 4S, given the batteries, and all the extra technology.
As you mentioned the batteries actually do lower the center of gravity and also the E-Hybrid has bigger brakes front and rear than the 4S. Because I've been waiting for almost a year for my car (put my deposit down and my order was submitted last March) I have watched every single You Tube video review on the E-Hybrid and also read every written review I could find on the internet and in various magazines. Porsche's stated zero to sixty times are 4.2 seconds for the 4S and 4.4 for the E-Hybrid. Both are conservative I'm certain and as I mentioned I have seen video reviews in which the E-Hybrid performed at or below 4 seconds. In any case, I don't intend to drag race the car but anything around 4 seconds is plenty fast enough for me. As for handling, the only way to really get that answer is to wait for the "official" reviews by Car and Driver or Road and Track and compare their times for each of the cars on a track environment.
I've reviewed the specs Porsche has published and I'm still wondering what the differences are between the two 2.9 liter engines in the 4S and the E-Hybrid?? I'm wondering if it will be possible to bump up the gas engine in the E-Hybrid to match the 440HP of the 4S? If so, that would make the E-Hybrid competitive with the Turbo (550HP vs. 572HP). Not something I would want to do, but curious if it could be done??
Old 02-15-2018, 08:35 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
I'm wondering if it will be possible to bump up the gas engine in the E-Hybrid to match the 440HP of the 4S? If so, that would make the E-Hybrid competitive with the Turbo (550HP vs. 572HP). Not something I would want to do, but curious if it could be done??
Yeh, when I hit up my service manager about this very same question, he told me I wasn't the first person to ask. Probably a little too soon to tell, but I'm sure the aftermarket people are chomping at the bit to answer that question.

Quick Reply: 971 4 vs 4S - Help!