Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

S class owner...

Old 01-28-2018, 10:11 AM
ah2216
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S class owner...

Hi guys, I'm a current drive 2015 S class 550 sedan and have been driving Mercedes for the past decade. My current lease is coming up in the next 8 weeks and looking at the 2018 S class and it is essentially the same car i have now with MINOR cosmetic changes. Essentially if i was to get one i'd feel like i have the same car. That being said, i'm testing the market to see what's out there and i'm shocked at how few options in vehicles there are to pick from, at least for my liking...just nothing really has me excited.

So i decided to go to Porsche, never been to a dealership, let alone drove one and I wanted to check out the new Panamera. I drove a base model with the premium plus package and i was really surprised, talk about an upgrade on the interior and the overall look was a great improvement to prior versions. I'm considering leasing one, but as you know they don't lease well at all so i'm trying to trim down on the options.

Any one made a change from an S class to Panamera? There is nothing like an S class when it comes to comfort and space, but it's lost it's excitement to drive.

They have one that i want, but does not have the premium plus package, it has the premium package. I guess the "plus" adds the adaptive lights and soft-close doors and maybe a few other items. Any one familiar with the packages share with me if i'm missing much by just options for the premium package or do you feel going with the plus is my better bet and waiting it out for more inventory to hit the ground.

Not familiar with this line at all, so i'm learning how niche of a line Porsche is the cult like following it has!

Also torn between carrara white and Volcano grey...tough decision!
Old 01-28-2018, 04:20 PM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome.
I recently helped my dad get into a Panamera coming from decades of S classes. He sure loves it. It is a big change though.
I think you need the Prem Plus, in order to bring it closer to s class standard features, but course your preference. We don’t have PASM or Assitance package but would’ve been nice, I hear PDLS+ is nice to have. These seem hard to find with existing models at dealers and we would’ve ordered one but didn’t have time to wait 4 months as our lease was up. We were picky, we wanted specific colors, and nice wheels, not standard ones. Ended up finding an ‘18 launch car with black/saddle and 21” turbo design wheels. Fell in total love with how the car looks. It does have 4 zone climate and Sport Chrono, both of which weren’t necessities for us though.
Good luck with your search. Let us know what you end up doing.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:49 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

The Porsche drives more sporty rather than a bus. Both quiet, luxury but the Porsche rides low and sits low kinda like the 911s. If you cannot handle that I do not recommend. Other than that the Porsche drives way better. You feel the racing Porsche DNA when spiritly driven.

If it rides higher, sits higher with a higher roofline to accommodate the higher seating for ease entry exit the S class can not compete against it. Due to the compromise for sport on the Porsche, the s class still has an appeal for the ultimate luxury car.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:50 PM
Shouston3
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

The sporty driving experience is what brought me to Porsche. Luxury feel, not quite the smooth limo-like drive of the S-class, but still a pleasure. I just leased a MY18 Panamera 4S in Volcano Grey with black/Bordeaux red interior. Premium package plus with Sport Package. 21 inch wheels make it look that much nicer. The options that I found made a huge film difference for performance was PASM, Sport Chrono, and rear axle steering. Interior, the Bose sound system is a must. Soft close doors, PDLS+ are nice but not necessary. Porsche has a really good lease loyalty program you should check out. Basically gets you 3 year pricing and mileage with option to turn in after 2 years.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:47 PM
ah2216
4th Gear

Beautiful car. Can you tell me what the maintenance is like on the VG color..i'm back and forth between this and carrara white, and not sure which one to go with. Is it just as bad as having a black car as far as marks,swirls and showing dirt?

The carrara white is nice, but i'm use to Mercedes diamond white and it the carrara is a bit too flat white looking imo
Old 01-29-2018, 10:21 PM
Shouston3
AutoX

Thanks! I had a black Macan GTS prior and it was the worst regarding dirt. The VG is much much better. Keeping my fingers crossed on the swirls and scratches....🤞🏻

I almost pulled the trigger on a Carrera white, but fell in love with the VG when I saw it in person, especially with the VG painted 21” wheels.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:35 AM
PP4EH
Track Day

Are those rims the painted in body color IE volcano grey ones`?
They look great, im ordering a black car and the dealer says its impossible to get them painted in the body color unless its a color other than black
If its black you have to opt for the ones with the silver lip which im not to fond of, or you will have to go with the satin grey ones but they have a mat finish which i don¨t like..

First world problems
Old 01-30-2018, 09:06 AM
Shouston3
AutoX

Yes, they are painted in the exterior body color, VG. Absolutely love them. When spec’ING the build, I had the same thoughts regarding the black rims with the silver lining. Wasn’t sure how the VG painted ones would turn out, but when I saw them in person, I knew I made the right decision.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:54 AM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Although, I have not gone from S-Class to Panamera, my uncle has the new S-class S560. I've driven his car and for what it's worth, I think they are both excellent cars for different reasons. Also, I think that it's hard to make a "apples" to "apples" comparison. For me, the new Panamera that I've been recently driving is much improved over the 2014 Gen II that was my first Panamera. It has a much better ride and improved interior quality than previous generations. Now, if you were considering the new S560 vs. Panamera, I would consider looking at a 4S in terms of slightly comparable HS, although the S-class has more torque:-). Also, I would definitely go with the Premium Package Plus. However, keep in mind, that the S-class offers the magic control body-function, which I don't believe exists an option with the Panamera. Bottom line, I feel that if you're looking for a more sporty look and nice quality ride, the Panamera 4S is a nice option. Trust me, the HS is there if you need it at anytime. If you want the traditional sedan look and more luxurious feel, then go with the Mercedes:-) I hope this helps.........
Old 01-30-2018, 10:55 AM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Shouston3, that is a beautiful color combo. I would have never thought to put those colors together. Nice!
Old 01-30-2018, 11:31 AM
PP4EH
Track Day

Pisses me off that i can't get them with a black car.
and I thought porsche was all about giving the customer what they wanted.

there must be a way.. I really feel the rims with the silver lip looks one size smaller.

anyone got a clue if there is a way or is the dealer right about this ?
Old 01-31-2018, 03:10 PM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ccpecot
Although, I have not gone from S-Class to Panamera, my uncle has the new S-class S560. I've driven his car and for what it's worth, I think they are both excellent cars for different reasons. Also, I think that it's hard to make a "apples" to "apples" comparison. For me, the new Panamera that I've been recently driving is much improved over the 2014 Gen II that was my first Panamera. It has a much better ride and improved interior quality than previous generations. Now, if you were considering the new S560 vs. Panamera, I would consider looking at a 4S in terms of slightly comparable HS, although the S-class has more torque:-). Also, I would definitely go with the Premium Package Plus. However, keep in mind, that the S-class offers the magic control body-function, which I don't believe exists an option with the Panamera. Bottom line, I feel that if you're looking for a more sporty look and nice quality ride, the Panamera 4S is a nice option. Trust me, the HS is there if you need it at anytime. If you want the traditional sedan look and more luxurious feel, then go with the Mercedes:-) I hope this helps.........

Yup - this ^
They are completely different cars. Both luxurious in their own way, and it's made that one can easily opt for riding on pillows or choose a much more fun driving experience. The options to get a Panamera like an S are $$$ (like safety features, and soft close doors for instance), but the build quality and sheer looks are just so amazing on the Panamera. Agreed that a 4S would be a nice step up from the regular 4; however the regular 4 does have adequate power for normal driving.

VG and Red is a beautiful combo btw.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:03 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I recently got out of my S63, and picked up a Panamera Turbo.

Both are great cars, but there's no question that the Porsche is the more sporty of the two. The Mercedes is better at simply eating up the miles, but the Porsche is more involving to drive. Build quality is similar, and you couldn't fault someone for choosing one over the other.

Regarding options; I am of the opinion that you should order exactly what you want, or expand your search nationwide to get your must have options.
Volcano grey is a beautiful color. You can't go wrong with that.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:24 AM
ah2216
4th Gear

Thanks for the all the replies. Well i went ahead and pulled the trigger. 2018 Volcano Grey with Chalk/Black interior, premium plus package and 21 inch 911 turbo wheels. This is exactly what i wanted, while the 4s would of been nice, it was honestly not necessary and obviously more expensive and this is by far more enough for me, especially coming from an S class. This is hands down my favorite car purchase..i'm in love with it and the color combo...VG is gorgeous!

I now need to tint the car and have read about the issues with the Tint, so i have a reputable company that is authorized by the Porsche dealership. The question is how dark should i go, i have historically gone ceramic 15% on all windows and 50-70% on front windshield. This has always been on white cars with beige interior.

Any recommendations? Considering going with the same, just don't want it to look too dark with against the VG exterior and it look like a funeral home car lol.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-05-2018, 08:21 AM
Shouston3
AutoX

I had mine done through my Porsche dealership. It was ceramic 20%. Blue tint on front windshield. I wouldn’t go any darker.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S class owner...