Panamera 2010-Current

New ‘features’ 2018 Panamera

Old 01-24-2018, 10:45 PM
pawnstar
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New ‘features’ 2018 Panamera

Car is barely two weeks old, discovered the following ‘features’:

1. Garage door opener refuses to program. Period.
Worked without an issue with 4 previous Porsche, and countless other cars. Not this car. Unacceptable for a Porsche not to get little things ironed out. Makes one wonder what else was poorly implemented. (Note: if your customers have to do hours of research to figure out how to program a garage door opener, you’re doing it wrong).

2. Start/stop resets to default with ignition restart. Annoying to have to press PCM ‘button’ each time I start up. I want less stuff to remember to do, not more.

3. My iPhone has CarPlay disabled in iOS,, but when plugged into the USB port inside arm rest triggers ‘CarPlay Disconnected’ message on PCM screen which I need to cancel out of. Then PCM goes into ‘ipod’ mode, no smartphone connected’ message pops up. But, iPod mode will not play any music not stored on iPhone, i. e. Podcast app, Soundcloud or YouTube will not play through PCM. Only through Bluetooth. iPod isn’t even one of the options to select under ‘Media’ or ‘Source’. Weird implementation, considering ‘smartphone’ worked flawlessly through PCM with CarPlay disabled in my 2017 991.2.

3.1. No info about proper use of USB ports is published in either hard drive or paper manual, so I suspect there’s only one way, plug in and hold on.

4. Climate system is unnecessarily complex and doesn’t work intuitively. I still can’t seem to get the car properly defogged and/or ventilated, despite spending over an hour playing with various settings. Whoever thought it was a good idea to over complicate things with new PCM implementation does not understand Porsche clientele. Not to sound presumptuous, but I suspect most Porsche buyers prefer to spend their time driving not waste it on trying to figure how to make the car work.

5. PDK is fussy, at times confused, in normal driving will be in 7th gear before reaching 35 mph.

6. The driving experience, once PDK makes up its mind, is sublime.

Last edited by pawnstar; 01-24-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:20 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd contact your dealer and ask if you can go back for a teach-in session. They should spend the time talking you through the tech and its nuances.

PDK improves with miles - for whatever reason it's now 100%
Old 01-26-2018, 02:30 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove the new Panamera for a test drive. The PDK was clunky and awful. I have PDK on my Carrera and it is great. The SA told me that it takes time for the PDK to "settle in" after which it is fine. I agree on the complicated electronics interface - using the PCM to adjust the middle air vents is ridiculous. I remember reviews of the old Panamera and the current Cayenne how there were just too many buttons on the console. I think perhaps the buttons are a good thing.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:54 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Buttons

Originally Posted by porscherex
I drove the new Panamera for a test drive. The PDK was clunky and awful. I have PDK on my Carrera and it is great. The SA told me that it takes time for the PDK to "settle in" after which it is fine. I agree on the complicated electronics interface - using the PCM to adjust the middle air vents is ridiculous. I remember reviews of the old Panamera and the current Cayenne how there were just too many buttons on the console. I think perhaps the buttons are a good thing.
I had a 2010 P4S and a 2013 GTS Panamera. I loved all the buttons. Whatever you want to do, there's a button right there to do it. I don't like the new style where everything is in the computer, including the air vents????? That's plain silly!!! But I've waited for the Sport Turismo from the very day the prototype was introduced, so I guess I'll have to learn to live with the new system.

DMoore
'15 GT3
'16 RS7
'18 Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo, sitting on the dock since 12/7, waiting for CARB clearance.
'18 911 GTS, presently at V210
Old 02-11-2018, 03:32 PM
pawnstar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ajriches01
I'd contact your dealer and ask if you can go back for a teach-in session. They should spend the time talking you through the tech and its nuances.

PDK improves with miles - for whatever reason it's now 100%
1 month ownership update:

I contacted the dealer, turns out I knew more than they did. Had to walk them through Link/Data Device Manager functions. They admitted the car ‘too new, we’re learning ourselves...’ ‘opened ticket’

a month after delivery, still no Homelink, CarPlay is hokey pokey, turns itself on/off when it feels like it, and can’t be disabled like in previous PCM versions.

Getting used to PDK quirks, works best in Sport mode, less shifting/hunting.

Start/Stop is still annoying.

Semi-Figured out climate controls, less misting now.

Drives, turns and stops like a Porsche. Love that.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts

Would you recommend the Panamera, knowing what you know now?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:06 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Lack of knowledge is not acceptable - I get the impression that the UK dealers are much more professional generally than the US. I have nothing but good things to say about London dealer.

Make sure you get the software updates for the PCM - maybe fix some of the annoying issues.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:47 AM
OmbryAmbry
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

> 5. PDK is fussy, at times confused, in normal driving will be in 7th gear before reaching 35 mph.

I think this is largely expected use when in comfort mode or not sport/sport +. I had this same problem in my C63 and in my Panamera S Hybrid with Tiptronic+. 7th/8th gear at 40mph when driving leisurely through town. The MB transmission eventually got more aggressive as it learned my habits and sport+ had it hold gears better. Panamera not so much.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:00 PM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ours gets fussy as well on low gears. But from reading other posts, seems to fade away after a few thousand miles. Only have 1500 so far, and 1 month ownership.

Another annoying tidbit, the memory system fails to work. Seat settings, and sometimes even software settings reset. I thought it was a key issue where it remembers what key you have and seat memory, but nope. I hope software updates fix several issues.

On that note, our car still hasn’t been connected to the Porsche connect yet. That dealer code you get when taking delivery so you can connect your car to your phone and apps, etc, still does not work. It’s been in and out of the shop. Porsche Germany apparently is working on it, 3 weeks later, no results. Quite annoying really as I want the convenience features as well as the safety features most importantly, activated.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:14 PM
Rcb
5th Gear

Default garagr door

Porsche finally replaced the Homelink module after 6 months. Works fine now. Rcb
Old 02-19-2018, 09:52 PM
Donfenn
AutoX

Does anybody else with a new generation Panamera (base powertrain) hear a subtle whirring or ticking noise from behind instrument cluster at about 1800-2500 rpms... I have this issue and the dealer says it is related to the the fuel delivery and injection system.

I agree that some of the PCM and electronics are wonky... There seems to be conflict between the CarPlay, Porsche Connect and Bluetooth functions.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:59 AM
pawnstar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
Would you recommend the Panamera, knowing what you know now?
That depends. If it’s a ‘younger’ driver, in good physical shape with no back issues, and someone willing and able to mess with its new annoying interface, yes. Car drives well. Older driver - emphatic no. Entry and exit not very comfortable due to narrow door frame, combine that with maddening interface, it would be too frustrating of an experience for someone like my dad. I’d get him into an S class.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:44 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Make sure you have all the software updates - I think there have been 2 or 3 now (mine is missing the latest).

What you are describing does not sound right - not quirks of the system but a failure of it. Alternatively, they have not given you the information to enable you to use the system properly - a failure of a different kind. I attended a Porsche feedback session and one point to emerge was that they should start a kind of Apple genius bar or at least invite people in to learn the functionality of their cars properly.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:30 AM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Donfenn
Does anybody else with a new generation Panamera (base powertrain) hear a subtle whirring or ticking noise from behind instrument cluster at about 1800-2500 rpms... I have this issue and the dealer says it is related to the the fuel delivery and injection system.
Donfenn, I have a 4S, so different engine than the one in your car, but I have also heard, on occasion, a faint ticking noise when accelerating from slow speeds. It is very faint, sounds very mechanical, and it is very regular and steady. Even before reading your post, I had thought that it was probably the fuel injectors doing their thing. These direct injection engines use higher pressures compared to previous designs in order to inject the fuel directly into the combustion chamber, the injectors work more like diesel injectors, if you will, and they make a characteristic ticking noise. Your dealer is probably correct.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:15 PM
Donfenn
AutoX

Originally Posted by pawnstar

That depends. If it’s a ‘younger’ driver, in good physical shape with no back issues, and someone willing and able to mess with its new annoying interface, yes. Car drives well. Older driver - emphatic no. Entry and exit not very comfortable due to narrow door frame, combine that with maddening interface, it would be too frustrating of an experience for someone like my dad. I’d get him into an S class.

I cannot agree with this "younger driver" thought regarding Panamera entry-exit ergonomics, but the interface can be a bit maddening.. I also think that features such as the center vent on AC are more complex than needed..

I think the car is comfortable and relatively easy to get in and out of-- and I am a 6'3" grandfather.. Hardly a young driver. I had Jaguar XJR and a family member has a BMW 650 Gran Coupe which were harder to get in and out of. If you want the sports sedan experience that a Panamera offers you would not want to sit up higher and have taller doors.. I much prefer this to an S class.

However, I am very unhappy with the fuel system noises that I described earlier in this thread... I know that some cars have this more than others, and Porsche cannot explain why. They need to find a fix for mine. I find this aggravating and it is the antithesis of what an owner of an otherwise fine car at this price point should have to endure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New ‘features’ 2018 Panamera