Panamera 2010-Current

Rear spoiler in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 10:41 AM
RAASpeedster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear spoiler in the winter

I have a question for the forum. Is it a good idea to keep the spoiler up all the time in the winter? I worry that snow and ice could prevent it from raising and lowering easily. On the other hand could the mechanism be damaged if road salt can now get into the area under the spoiler if left up all the time. It is not practical to wash the car constantly when it is so cold. The car is in the garage at night but as a DD it is outside when it is snowing during the work day. What are your thoughts and experiences.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2018, 10:38 PM
Fulwild
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other alternative might be to disconnect the spoiler. If its freezing out you may not be driving fast enough to need the spoiler. Don't know if this creates a fault condition.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:55 AM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't live where it's cold enough for snow, occasional overnights in freezing range though....I simply leave it up for the fact that if it's in the down position and comes up, the middle section is fairly clean looking and the outside portions look like they've been exposed to the various elements (GTS 3 part spoiler). So for nothing other than similarity of appearance across the spoiler, I leave it up.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:32 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Why would the spoiler ever be up apart from when speed dictates it?..just trying to understand. I have a Sport Turismo Turbo which I will pick up next week. and I expect I will never manually raise it. Is there some advantage that I have missed?
Old 01-28-2018, 01:14 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I'm pretty sure this is well vetted by Porsche, and their extensive cold weather testing and test mules.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:11 PM
legbuh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, mine sleeps for 4 months in cold storage with my old VWs. I have a "winter beater" ('16 Nissan Frontier) and if need be, I'll drive the Golf R, but I even try to keep that out of the nasty salt here in MN.. even though being AWD it's a blast in the snow!
Old 02-19-2018, 06:00 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I'm pretty sure this is well vetted by Porsche, and their extensive cold weather testing and test mules.
ssssoooo got one of these now ? wadda jerk off
Old 02-19-2018, 06:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by extanker
ssssoooo got one of these now ? wadda jerk off
I see you are still trolling after your vacation. You are a s l o w learner.
The following users liked this post:
ManoTexas (12-23-2020)
Old 02-19-2018, 06:10 PM
LexVan
Banned

Thank you mods.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:04 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually thought about posting a similar valid concern as the OP a few weeks back. I was wondering if there was a way to turn off the spoiler, beside probably the obvious of pulling a fuse, during winter weather. Apparently the button on the console only raises/lowers it. (I would have designed the button to turn the spoiler off by a quick push - much like the adjacent engine Autostop button, and raising/lowering only by holding the button down). In any event I am having "spoiler failure" issues since the spoiler deployed under icy conditions.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:51 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

I just leave mine in the Auto position so it moves as needed, and after completing my recent 2-week, 3000 mile journey in mostly sub-zero conditions and lots of road grime, snow, etc. I can report that it worked flawlessly the entire time. When is snowed at night it was retracted and as soon as I got up to speed the next day it deployed as expected w/ no issues. No concerns here about the spoiler in winter conditions.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:39 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJS_04_996
I actually thought about posting a similar valid concern as the OP a few weeks back. I was wondering if there was a way to turn off the spoiler, beside probably the obvious of pulling a fuse, during winter weather. Apparently the button on the console only raises/lowers it. (I would have designed the button to turn the spoiler off by a quick push - much like the adjacent engine Autostop button, and raising/lowering only by holding the button down). In any event I am having "spoiler failure" issues since the spoiler deployed under icy conditions.
Well, last week I was just about to pull the fuse on the spoiler. After a month of the spoiler quietly raising and lowering - despite being in "spoiler failure", two days last week it began to make a thumping noise when elevating. Thought it sounded bad enough to pull the fuse, and the very day I took out the owners manual to find where the spoiler fuse was (MAN, does the Panamera have SO MANY fuses!!!) it began working normally again! Looks like its probably is a 1/4 higher then it had been while in failure mode, so I'm guessing maybe something (debris) was in under there that finally loosen up and gave way, allowing it to elevate far enough not to be in failure mode. I'm happy- one less thing to fix.....now I have to get after the rear wiper not working.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:45 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

100% the spoiler has issues with snow and ice. You need to be careful raising and lowering it, particularly if you store it outside, or if it gets covered while you're at work. To be honest there should be a button to leave the spoiler down at all times......but since there isn't I keep it raised most of the winter. I only got mine stuck once, and I just poured some warm water down the back of the car. I'd be very carful though trying to force it or make it work hard while partially frozen. I think the whole spoiler system is pretty well made, but there are a lot of moving parts. Fortunately, while deployed, the spoiler doesn't look like an afterthought, looks like part of the car rather than leaving a big gap open, and prevents most crap from getting stuck.
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (12-23-2020)
Old 03-26-2019, 11:33 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Why would the spoiler ever be up apart from when speed dictates it?..just trying to understand. I have a Sport Turismo Turbo which I will pick up next week. and I expect I will never manually raise it. Is there some advantage that I have missed?
Hey are you Ronan from "around"...like the MBWorld AMG forum, various BMW/M5 forums, etc? If so, good to have you here! Well, good to have you here regardless. I'm up to about 800 miles on my Sport Turismo Turbo and absolutely love it. Very interested to hear your take.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:52 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm not convinced that spoiler up or down is going to make a big difference when you're driving 80 MPH. If the spoiler is in failure mode, is the car speed limited = no. Well maybe it won't let you drive 150HPH I guess I don't know!

The point is, the spoiler should have the ability to be kept down with a button. As far as why anyone would want a button to deploy it when you don't need it, well that's easy = it looks cool!

Quick Reply: Rear spoiler in the winter