Panamera 2010-Current

Rear spoiler in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 01:18 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen
100% the spoiler has issues with snow and ice. You need to be careful raising and lowering it, particularly if you store it outside, or if it gets covered while you're at work. To be honest there should be a button to leave the spoiler down at all times......but since there isn't I keep it raised most of the winter. I only got mine stuck once, and I just poured some warm water down the back of the car. I'd be very carful though trying to force it or make it work hard while partially frozen. I think the whole spoiler system is pretty well made, but there are a lot of moving parts. Fortunately, while deployed, the spoiler doesn't look like an afterthought, looks like part of the car rather than leaving a big gap open, and prevents most crap from getting stuck.
I'd like to add touchless car washes to this as well. My car is parked in the garage and with lockdown and working form home, I don't park outside (the office) anymore. I agree, there should be a function to keep the spoiler down all the time. Having to pour warm water to get rid of the spoiler error message ".... adapted driving permitted" is a pia for me as Panamera is a daily driver all year around.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:47 PM
Mr Tee
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 66 Posts

I keep mine deployed . Was in OPC in March as it was cracking when raising. They stripped & recalibrated it , which fixed it for a couple of weeks only. Took it back in, they removed it again, then told me one of the mounting pins had snapped , blamed it on “outside influence “ , hence it was not working properly. I raised a complaint , however they refused to budge and I need to cough up rather a large sum to rectify . I’m going to find a fabricator to fix the mounts, as it’s simply a large diameter plastic dowel that has snapped. The joys ...
Old 12-24-2020, 04:47 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Tee
I keep mine deployed . Was in OPC in March as it was cracking when raising. They stripped & recalibrated it , which fixed it for a couple of weeks only. Took it back in, they removed it again, then told me one of the mounting pins had snapped , blamed it on “outside influence “ , hence it was not working properly. I raised a complaint , however they refused to budge and I need to cough up rather a large sum to rectify . I’m going to find a fabricator to fix the mounts, as it’s simply a large diameter plastic dowel that has snapped. The joys ...
"Outside influence..." same story for the scratch on the outside of my non tinted window reported weeks after delivery. The joys for sure!
The following users liked this post:
Mr Tee (12-26-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 09:41 PM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2014 PTT which has the big turbo spoiler. I also had a 2012 Panny 4S with the smaller spoiler. I live where it snows and this is my snow car in the winter. I have other toys that live in the garage. From November to April, I keep the spoiler up as I have had failures due to ice in both cars. Not worth it to not deploy for the season. I dont think Porsche gave this enough thought. Everything else about the car is wonderful. I am almost about to hit 50K miles on the PTT. As to tires, I used snows for the first season and then put Pirelli Sotozero all seasons on since with no issues.
MKC91 (12-29-2020)
Old 01-14-2021, 01:14 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Tee
With barely any snow this winter (so far) and COVID work / stay at home orders, I haven't been driving much at all. However, my spoiler has now been stuck for several weeks now refusing to fully retract. It also has changed from being stuck at a 5 degree angle to 15. Not sure if this is good or bad news... only time an a visit to the dealer will tell. Ugh!
Mr Tee (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 01:17 PM
Mr Tee
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 66 Posts

I run mine for 30 minutes per week just now, gets it a 20 mile run . Sad times indeed .
MKC91 (01-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Rear spoiler in the winter