Panamera 2010-Current

2010-2012 Panamera 4.8L reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 02:00 AM
Panamerabuyer
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010-2012 Panamera 4.8L reliability

Hi All, I am about to purchase a 1 female owner Panamera 4s 2011 with 35k KMs on it. I am curious about its reliability, there is a warranty package from Porsche Centre in Hong Kong (for electronics and engine only) that costs around 4000USD for 2 years, but not sure if it's the same as the ones USA offers.

I definitely set aside money for oil changes, tyres, other maintenance and repairs and all that stuff those are no problems. I'm just concerned about big fixes, like replacing engine, or things that cost over 10k USD frequently, should I be even worried about that? I will have mechanics do inspections on the vehicle before purchasing.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:06 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

cerbomarkRegistered User
They are great cars in general but never own a Porsche without a warranty unless you don t mind funding repairs. I d say they won t happen often but when they do they can be expensive. Also maybe look for a service place outside of a Porsche dealer that knows these cars. And what would you do after two years when the warranty is up and the miles are higher on the car which makes it more likely that a repair will be needed?
That s why some people lease.(that's another topic).
Do they offer Porsche certified pre owns by you? Not a bad way to go if available.
Your warranty for electrnoic and engine leave lots out it sounds like? What about suspension, brake stuff, transmission, etc etc.
A transmission would set you back way over 10K USD (maybe twice that last time I checked). But it is a great drivers cars!
Old 01-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Panamerabuyer
5th Gear

Originally Posted by cerbomark
cerbomarkRegistered User
They are great cars in general but never own a Porsche without a warranty unless you don t mind funding repairs. I d say they won t happen often but when they do they can be expensive. Also maybe look for a service place outside of a Porsche dealer that knows these cars. And what would you do after two years when the warranty is up and the miles are higher on the car which makes it more likely that a repair will be needed?
That s why some people lease.(that's another topic).
Do they offer Porsche certified pre owns by you? Not a bad way to go if available.
Your warranty for electrnoic and engine leave lots out it sounds like? What about suspension, brake stuff, transmission, etc etc.
A transmission would set you back way over 10K USD (maybe twice that last time I checked). But it is a great drivers cars!
I don't mind funding repairs that doesn't cost too much, I am expecting around 1.5k - 3k USD/year in maintenance and repairs.

I'm getting an inspection before purchasing to make sure it has no problems, so that should eliminate all big fixes like the transmission you mentioned? The things you mentioned about transmission concerns me about repair costs... I read a lot of positive reviews of it, and some with fixes to make but doesn't seem big.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:18 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Not sure if it has changed since PDK trans s are getting older but I re call hearing that they are seal units and only get replaced thru Porsche Germany at 25K USD. I m sure the cost will or has come down but maybe not?
It is a great trans if you ve ever driven one but have not been out long enough to see what happens after lots of them hit 80-100 thousand miles. Think they came out in 2009.
Sounds like you can handle any other type repairs IF they should come up. Wish you luck and enjoy.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:55 PM
satquest
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just traded in my 2012 Panamera S with ~32,500 miles for a new '18 Panamera.

I can say that for the six years I owned the car (4 under warranty), it was completely trouble free. I had no issues with the engine, just ate tires every 15K miles, (Michelin Pilot Super Sports 20" @ US$1600 per set) and was on its third set of tires. The reason I sold the car was it was going to need about US$4,000 in repairs, mostly for brakes - ~US$3200 so I would make absolutely sure the brakes are new front and back. The car will use oil at about 2500 miles so keep some oil (0W-40) in the garage to add when the system calls for oil. If you drive the car at a steady "high speed" (over 80 mph) it may use more oil but this is not abnormal for the 4.8 liter engine.

I have a friend with a 2011 Panamera (3.0 liter six) and he had an A/C issue under extended warranty. His current mileage is ~48,000 and has been without other issues but not the same engine. I do think if you can purchase an extended warranty, to include engine, electronics and transmission, it might be a good idea as it will give you a fixed cost for any repairs your car could encounter.

Good Luck....

Last edited by satquest; 01-12-2018 at 07:00 PM. Reason: left out info
The following users liked this post:
Deezflip (05-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2018, 06:27 PM
mzitnamor
1st Gear

Good evening.

Everytime I googled for some information regarding known issues/defects with older panamera models I came across this discussionboard. In particular this topic has drawn my attention since I am interested in buying a 2012 Panamera 4S. I have already test driven it (very smooth and satisfying) and it has been through a standard test at a German Cars facility here locally with relatively good feedback. But even though there were no problems found I am still hesitating and that’s the reason I signed up here.

I am afraid that I will face problems with the engine. On various websites and even here in various topics I have read posts about coolant leakages or problems with nikasil coatings of the cylinders which might lead to engine self destructs. The car I am aiming to buy now is at 48.000km.

What should I do? Are there any steps that I can follow that will keep me safe from buying a car that will likely get problems in the future? Should I stay clear from a 2012 Panamera 4S and look further?

Help is very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:20 PM
DGPanny
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2011 4s. I just lost the engine in it driving a smooth 80 on the interstate. There is a recall on all the V8's to replace the cam shaft controller mounting bolts. Mine broke at 80 mph and it went through the engine breaking the cam shaft, timing chain and timing chain cover. Since it is a recall, it won't cost me anything, but I have been without a vehicle for 2 weeks with no end in sight (well I still have the '08 Boxster S). There are no engines in the US so they are going to have to assemble one from a short block and new heads. So for those of you who have received the notice (all should have) please take my advice and stop driving the car until you get that fixed. I was fortunate I was able to easily get to the side of the road but it is really dangerous as there is absolutely no warning whatsoever.

Other than that, it has been a fantastic car. By the way, I am the second owner and have 67k miles on the car.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:41 PM
Waynemaxwell75
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DGPanny
I have a 2011 4s. I just lost the engine in it driving a smooth 80 on the interstate. There is a recall on all the V8's to replace the cam shaft controller mounting bolts. Mine broke at 80 mph and it went through the engine breaking the cam shaft, timing chain and timing chain cover. Since it is a recall, it won't cost me anything, but I have been without a vehicle for 2 weeks with no end in sight (well I still have the '08 Boxster S). There are no engines in the US so they are going to have to assemble one from a short block and new heads. So for those of you who have received the notice (all should have) please take my advice and stop driving the car until you get that fixed. I was fortunate I was able to easily get to the side of the road but it is really dangerous as there is absolutely no warning whatsoever.

Other than that, it has been a fantastic car. By the way, I am the second owner and have 67k miles on the car.

was wondering what year the recalls are for. I have a 2012 panamera turbo, 4.8 v8. It’s has 75k on the odo and so far so good.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:53 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cerbomark
Not sure if it has changed since PDK trans s are getting older but I re call hearing that they are seal units and only get replaced thru Porsche Germany at 25K USD. I m sure the cost will or has come down but maybe not?
It is a great trans if you ve ever driven one but have not been out long enough to see what happens after lots of them hit 80-100 thousand miles. Think they came out in 2009.
Sounds like you can handle any other type repairs IF they should come up. Wish you luck and enjoy.
Transmission issues tend to be shift sensor problems and these are changelable by any competent individual. Parts are around $1000 which includes the$400 pan which can't be reussed. Labor costs depend on who does it. Some individuals here did it themselves, I had an indy do it.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:19 PM
Atlas_Shrugz
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're concerned about the cost of repairs and are not prepared for the cost by either paying for an extended warranty or having the dough to pay out of pocket for the repair, considering buying a car like a Porsche is probably a bad idea. This is especially true of older models or cars with higher mileage. There's much more to the affordability of a high performance foreign car than just the monthly payment and insurance. One thing I've found so far in owning my 2010 Panamera Turbo is that, even if I do repairs myself, the repair cost is more than most domestic vehicles.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:44 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 682 Likes on 409 Posts

‘14S with 70k. Only issues have been coolant tubes and minor air suspensiion valve. Burns zero oil (prob jixed it now). Put AS tires on it at 50k and still lot of life left. Still love the car. V8’s “appear” to have more issues but no clue. Perfromance of V6 S is really, really good.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:53 PM
Timma1
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2010 Turbo, 2nd owner purchased with 55,000 miles. Already had cam bolts, coolant pipes, front air struts and bushings. Have 64,000 now, just did 60,000 mile service. No issues, other than me not tightening coolant cap! Love the car! Does burn about a quart every 4,000 miles.

highly recommend as a daily that you can haul when needed. 1 gripe, can’t hold multiple golf bags without folding seats.

Quick Reply: 2010-2012 Panamera 4.8L reliability