Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Panamera (https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera-167/)
-   -   2018 Panamera (https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera/1041739-2018-panamera.html)

Prince Li 01-03-2018 04:21 PM

2018 Panamera

Hi guys, so I m in the market for a new 2018 Panamera and my budget is around 100k. I see at Hennesy Porsche of Atlanta there is a Sapphire Blue Metallic base Panamera with almost exact specs that I want and I have been lurking around quite a bit. The tag price is 100820 but I m thinking a 94k out of door price(excluding sales tax and government fees since I will be registering the car out of state). But I can also opt for a Panamera 4 with all-wheel drive but fewer options for the same price.

Here are my questions:
1. Is 94k a good price? I think it is fair to say that this model is quite new and popular so demand must be high.
2. Rear wheel drive - worth it? If i move to a colder state, say New York, Will it be able to handle the weather with snow tires?
3. Just a little background about me - just turned 18, new to the car(and Porsche) community, never dealt with a car dealer before. My parents do not live here in states so they can offer no help, it is all up to me.
4. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!
5. Also, I have no trade-in, I do cash full payment only, so no finance/lease.

Prince Li 01-03-2018 04:51 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b469573f9f.jpg

This is what the car looks like!

Rossww 01-03-2018 05:47 PM

It's a beautiful car, but I'd caution you on the RWD if you ever plan on driving it in the northeast winter. I have a 2017 4S and use snow tires and it's pretty good, but would never dream of driving it in inclimate weather in RWD with or without snow tires.
Also..hard to say if $94k is a good price without knowing the options. Good luck

Prince Li 01-03-2018 05:52 PM

Hi Rossww:

Thank you for replying!
Here are the options added:Base - Panamera
0PA - Preparation For Deletion Of Model Designation
1N3 - Power Steering Plus
44A - 21" Exclusive Design Wheels In High Gloss Black
6JA - Door Handles In High Gloss Black
8SI - Tinted LED Taillights
AAV - Model Designation Painted
AB - Standard Interior In Black
N1 - Sapphire Blue Metallic
P51 - Premium Package Plus
QE1 - Storage Package
QQ1 - Ambient Lighting

Also, is it really that bad to drive with rear-wheel drive even with snow tire? I mean, after all, it is a porsche and the handling should be good. But as I have no previous experience living in cold states or driving, I can only assume this to be true.

cerbomark 01-04-2018 07:21 PM

Ditto on the 4WD. I used my Pana 4 today in northeast storm and was fine with all seasons. A 2WD wouldn t cut it as a daily driver if lots of snow is involved IMO.

Frank 993 C4S 01-05-2018 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Prince Li (Post 14707890)
Hi Rossww:

Thank you for replying!
Here are the options added:Base - Panamera
0PA - Preparation For Deletion Of Model Designation
1N3 - Power Steering Plus
44A - 21" Exclusive Design Wheels In High Gloss Black
6JA - Door Handles In High Gloss Black
8SI - Tinted LED Taillights
AAV - Model Designation Painted
AB - Standard Interior In Black
N1 - Sapphire Blue Metallic
P51 - Premium Package Plus
QE1 - Storage Package
QQ1 - Ambient Lighting

Also, is it really that bad to drive with rear-wheel drive even with snow tire? I mean, after all, it is a porsche and the handling should be good. But as I have no previous experience living in cold states or driving, I can only assume this to be true.

No it's not bad to run a rear-wheel drive vehicle in the winter. If you are planning on mounting snow tires, you are 100% better off than those people running summer and all season tires in the winter. It's usually NOT about getting stuck in the snow but about braking and cornering safely and for that you can't beat winter tires.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/trea...l-season-tires

Zetta 01-06-2018 09:19 AM

Looks very nice and if you like the car, I would not dismiss it because of the rear wheel drive. It makes a lot of fun too.

pawnstar 01-06-2018 05:04 PM

RWD in snow on snow tires

Originally Posted by cerbomark (Post 14710384)
Ditto on the 4WD... A 2WD wouldn t cut it as a daily driver if lots of snow is involved IMO.

Drove an M4 with snow tires through several apocalyptic blizzards in Swiss Alps and Dolomites with no issues whatsoever.

Frank 993 C4S 01-06-2018 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by pawnstar (Post 14714270)

Drove an M4 with snow tires through several apocalyptic blizzards in Swiss Alps and Dolomites with no issues whatsoever.

^^^ This!

cerbomark 01-06-2018 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S (Post 14714371)
^^^ This!

you guys are not wrong (totally,LOL) the fact that he is asking(doesn t sound like OPer has lots if any of winter weather driving experience) and the fact that Porsche s AWD systems are just a joy to drive makes it an easy choice for me.
Put a set of Blizzacks on an AWD !!

lbcgolf 01-06-2018 06:34 PM

You guys recommend an 18 yo on his first drivers license who may live/move to a state with inclement winter weather, a $100,000, 2WD car? Would you buy one for your 18 yo son as a first car?

Jes wonderin....

cerbomark 01-06-2018 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by lbcgolf (Post 14714423)
You guys recommend an 18 yo on his first drivers license who may live/move to a state with inclement winter weather, a $100,000, 2WD car? Would you buy one for your 18 yo son as a first car?

Jes wonderin....

I didn t notice the age thing and stand by the AWD for sure. Not that an 18 year old shouldn t learn how to handle a 2WD but not at $100K. Off topic but 18 year old with a new Pana, not a character builder IMO, but I m an old man, LOL. Just my 2 cents.
Oper forgive my comment , nothing personal.

VINK 01-10-2018 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by cerbomark (Post 14714443)
Off topic but 18 year old with a new Pana, not a character builder IMO, but I m an old man, LOL. Just my 2 cents.
Oper forgive my comment , nothing personal.

True to some extent about character building but at least Panamera is lot better/safer than those hot rods and 911's when it comes to aggressive driving. As long as his parents are ok to burn that kind of cash, he should be fine. Also my vote will be for a AWD. I just got a Panamera 4 few weeks back and AWD did well in snow. Snow tires are always the best solution for winter driving especially if you live in suburbs or hilly areas. If one knows how to drive in snow, when to brake and how to handle turns slowly, All-seasons are manageable. Good Luck OP!!