Panamera 2010-Current

2010 4S Air Suspension Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 12:59 PM
kbc993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 4S Air Suspension Failure

I get a suspension failure notification whenever the ambient temperature drops below 10 degrees. I assume there is moisture freezing in the air suspension. Is there a way to purge the moisture from the system or is there another solution?
Old 01-01-2018, 03:18 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kbc993
I get a suspension failure notification whenever the ambient temperature drops below 10 degrees. I assume there is moisture freezing in the air suspension. Is there a way to purge the moisture from the system or is there another solution?
I had the identical problem, it was diagnosed as a faulty, sticking control valve which was replaced. I thought that it as temperature related but couldn't correlate it on a 100% basis. The repair was costly, about $1200 if I remember correctly.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:11 PM
kbc993
Advanced

Thanks Pmichaelis, what is strange is that when the car is placed in a heated garage the issue goes away.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:22 AM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts

My 2010 turbo goes into chassis failure fault code 100% of the time when temps drop below 40 degrees.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:28 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Originally Posted by kbc993
Thanks Pmichaelis, what is strange is that when the car is placed in a heated garage the issue goes away.
I have a thought about the problem, my understanding is that the air suspension system is basically a closed system normally filled with dry nitrogen. If the system were improperly filled using air, moisture could be trapped in the system and cause temperature dependent problems when the moisture level became high enough. If this is the fact, then purging the system and backfilling with nitrogen would be the cure.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:25 PM
MR.Swag
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RDS928S
My 2010 turbo goes into chassis failure fault code 100% of the time when temps drop below 40 degrees.
mine is a 2010 Turbo also & whenever it’s -20 or more I get the same problem.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:31 AM
MarekO
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pmichaelis
I have a thought about the problem, my understanding is that the air suspension system is basically a closed system normally filled with dry nitrogen. If the system were improperly filled using air, moisture could be trapped in the system and cause temperature dependent problems when the moisture level became high enough. If this is the fact, then purging the system and backfilling with nitrogen would be the cure.
Yes, You´re right, its almost closed system ,but if it´s necessary then compressor takes air from outside. There is dryer inside compressor. Also point 2 is that there is coming moisture anyway, compressor working temp goes really fast up and then its cooling down, and again and again, there will come condense water a little bit.
Usually if it freezes, then in luggage room is 40A Orange fuse what blows. If you´re lucky then refilling with dry nitrogen helps, it´s always first step. If not, then replace compressor. It´s not possible to get that dryer part separately, comes together with compressor.
When installing new compressor, then always is good point to replace relay as well. Also in luggage compartment. 370 or 373 no relay, don´t remember on the moment exactly.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:16 AM
HP41
Intermediate

2014 4S here. I had the same compressor "freeze" issue about 2 weeks ago while traveling. Temperature had dropped from 40F's to 10F overnight.

Symptoms:
1. compressor sounded like it tried to start as I was loading the car with luggage.
2. After a couple of seconds of sounding locked-up, the compressor stopped trying to run.
3. After car was started, the Yellow Chassis Failure message appeared and car went to a higher than normal level (about like high level)
4. Once we returned home (much later dame day), I was able to diagnose a blown fuse (40 amp large blade for compressor) and system returned to normal operation.

I have tried to recreate the symptoms as we had a weather swing earlier this week where temps went from 40F to about 12F overnight. I left the car out but everything operated correctly.

If it hiccups again (I plan to test on several very cold nights in coming month) I will be taking it to Porsche dealer for repair. Car is still under CPO warranty for another year.

Just sharing similar experiences.

Chuck

Quick Reply: 2010 4S Air Suspension Failure