Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

What does “ reduced power mode” indicator mean.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 05:20 PM
Turbinepilot
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does “ reduced power mode” indicator mean.

On 2017 Panamera Turbo with 11,000 Miles, indicators says 900 more miles until oil change. Notice appears saying “ reduced power mode”. Car got sluggish....no better in Sport Plus mode
Old 12-31-2017, 07:02 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

That s a dealer trip, could be a dozen different things. They ll check the code to see what failed.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Turbinepilot
5th Gear

On 12/29/17 morning when the “reduced Power mode” indication came on with sluggish power....immediately went to my dealer...but will have no technician until 1/2/18.... meanwhile the loaner is a Mercedes E300 4 Door...just like all the taxicabs you see in Germany.I use the Panamera Turbo for business trips into areas where a Porsche dealer could be 150 miles or more away. With this fault indicator, now have lost confidence in the reliability of the car....will have to wait and see what service codes come up.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:46 AM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Take it slow, see what comes up. BTW I live over 100 miles from a dealer too. Likely just a new car bug.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:47 PM
Turbinepilot
5th Gear

Dealer checked out my ‘17 PPT indication of “Reduced Power Mode”......all checked out OK.... did some unrelated software update . Took the PPT on a 500 mile trip....everything OK.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:32 AM
usmc
Track Day

I have a 18 Panamera Turbo 2,000 miles. At about 1,300 I got the "reduced engine power driving permitted visit workshop" message. Once I took it in to the dealer they were never able to replicate the issue and just di a software refresh or whatever. I have came to realize this issue has occurred when leaving the vehicle running/idling in place. The first time I got it was picking up carryout order food delivery leaving car running with lights off. Second time I was waiting for my food at sonics drive in and when I went to drive off I got the error, turned off ignition and back on and it went away. I also believe it has something to do with when I'm using the parking brake, maybe a sensor is telling the engine the parking brake is still engaged or something making it try to reduce engine power. Hopefully if it happens again to me I can narrow it down, but apparently if its not an obvious issue it doesn't even leave the error code in the system when they go scan it.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:03 AM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Was the car key in your pocket when you left the car running?
Old 01-19-2018, 01:39 AM
usmc
Track Day

Originally Posted by fgv1it
Was the car key in your pocket when you left the car running?
If this is to me, yes
Old 01-19-2018, 08:54 AM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

If you leave the car running and take the key with you, at some point the car will lose its electronic "contact" with the key, and you'll have a situation where the engine is running and no key is detected by the system. That may lead to strange error messages, depending on how the system is programmed to react.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:28 AM
usmc
Track Day

Originally Posted by fgv1it
If you leave the car running and take the key with you, at some point the car will lose its electronic "contact" with the key, and you'll have a situation where the engine is running and no key is detected by the system. That may lead to strange error messages, depending on how the system is programmed to react.
I’ve seen the key error before, but it goes away once the key is back in the vehicle/range. Also when I was at Sonics and got the error, I didn’t actually leave the vehicle to get the food but it was on for the amount of time waiting for the food to come out
Old 03-31-2019, 06:15 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc
I have a 18 Panamera Turbo 2,000 miles. At about 1,300 I got the "reduced engine power driving permitted visit workshop" message. Once I took it in to the dealer they were never able to replicate the issue and just di a software refresh or whatever. I have came to realize this issue has occurred when leaving the vehicle running/idling in place. The first time I got it was picking up carryout order food delivery leaving car running with lights off. Second time I was waiting for my food at sonics drive in and when I went to drive off I got the error, turned off ignition and back on and it went away. I also believe it has something to do with when I'm using the parking brake, maybe a sensor is telling the engine the parking brake is still engaged or something making it try to reduce engine power. Hopefully if it happens again to me I can narrow it down, but apparently if its not an obvious issue it doesn't even leave the error code in the system when they go scan it.
This happened to me today. Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I figured better than to start a new one.

New 2018 PTT ST, about 1100 miles. I was parked/idling waiting for a family member. It was kind of raw out which is why I left the engine running during my wait. When they finally came out, I started to pull away slowly through the parking lot and got the same warning in steady yellow (apparently flashing and/or red color mean different, more serious things...)

It immediately felt and sounded like we were rolling on a shredded tire, as if there was gravel in the works. I pulled aside, turned off the engine, and walked around the car to check the tires. They looked fine, so I got back in, restarted the car, and the warning was gone. I chanced it and drove home about 15 miles in mixed hwy/local. No issues at all. All seemed normal.

I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow morning as other threads warn of bad coils, cylinder scoring, and high pressure fuel pumps in need of replacement. More so when the car long-cranks at start which mine seems to (I assumed this was normal until I saw mention of it in some other threads).

I'll see what codes they pull and go from there. Still under warranty obviously, but disconcerting nonetheless.

EDIT - am at the dealer now. They pointed to the idling I'd done as the cause, said it was a known issue, and that there was a software update/patch for it. I'd been in very recently and gotten a software update (a recall to fix the brake warning in the dash) and asked why they hadn't done this one too; they said it was different and only done if/as needed. Kind of weird. I'll see what if anything more specific the paperwork says...

EDIT2 - am out of the dealer. They flashed/updated the DME. All no charge of course.

Hopefully this is the last time I'll get that warning...

Last edited by pokingaround; 04-01-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: What does “ reduced power mode” indicator mean.