Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

‘18 Panamera gps issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 09:38 PM
sriklin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update. This sounds very promising. Please let us know the results.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:05 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have now done 1,500 miles since the GPS was last looked at and apart from one or two random wanders for a few seconds (possibly due to localised signal issues), it has behaved itself...Car is with Reading now for an oil service and have asked them to check for error messages but I am not going another month without the car if it is reliable 99.9% of the time.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:27 PM
sriklin
Intermediate

I am happy to hear that. I can relate to not wanting to give up your car. Once I get mine back, I hope to not visit the dealership for a long time.

What parts did the replace in your GPS? I want to make sure they replace all of them in my car.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:36 AM
ajriches01
Racer

What parts did they replace...everything. Antenna (2/3 times), central computer, they looked at new wiring (but reconnected the old), I think something else GPS related like the receiver? Ultimately they said it wasn't fixed when they handed it back but it does seem to be. Will find out today whether any error messages have been registered, which would be disappointing but let's see.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:22 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ajriches01
I have now done 1,500 miles since the GPS was last looked at and apart from one or two random wanders for a few seconds (possibly due to localised signal issues), it has behaved itself...Car is with Reading now for an oil service and have asked them to check for error messages but I am not going another month without the car if it is reliable 99.9% of the time.
Oil service? At how many miles on the odometer? I thought your car is fairly new...
Old 07-12-2018, 04:37 AM
ajriches01
Racer

10,000 - she is 1 year old and have done a few European trips.

Apparently the car senses the state of the oil and if the viscosity drops it requests a service. That can be as a result of the engine not being used as much as it being used (apparently)...
Old 07-19-2018, 11:43 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sriklin
Thanks for the update. This sounds very promising. Please let us know the results.
Well, beggars belief, but apparently they have tested my GPS now, and its all ok.

Great you might think.

Now I have a new problem with tracker cable or something. (originally told it was a phone issue and just needed a reset).
So now they keeping my car to sort that "cable" out.

I have been told will have my car back tomorrow, but I know I wont, I have even bet the service advisor that I wont have it back.
I complained that there was nothing wrong, phone worked fine, tracker worked fine, now they have disconnected stuff, suddenly its not working.
Apparently it had a fault code, and has done previously , but they cleared it previously, this time it wont.

I am just so dis-illusioned with Porsche, its a great looking car, love to drive it, but I am sick of the reliability, coupled with previous cars between me and my business partner, they are about as good as BL (never owned but heard).

Porsche are or should be one of the worlds leading manufacturers, how can a system in my car be broken for 6 months. It shouldn't happen to them. They should be able to fix anything that's broken more or less straight away, not on a trial and error scenario.
I just have no confidence in them.

Only thing in my mind is Luke Skywalker saying " what a piece of junk"

Anyway will see what tomorrow brings.

Edit - Vodaphone just called me again to say the antenna for the tracker has been disconnected. I was talking to them about this issue, and they even said they have heard there are issues with the antenna. Joke isn't it.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:33 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Mine went for a brief walk this morning...I am adopting the head in the sand approach at the moment as it seems fine on long trips but I suspect it will deteriorate. Hope you get it back today!
Old 07-20-2018, 09:17 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Got it back, all seems ok, connected to 8 satellites.
Guess time will tell, but fingers crossed.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:44 PM
sriklin
Intermediate

I finally got my 2018 Panamera e-Hybrid back this week, and so far the GPS remains fully operational. The dealership checked out the three components of the GPS system and determined that the antenna and module were okay. They happened to have a cable from another Porsche that had been removed, so they connected it to my antenna and module. The cable replacement solved the problem. They had spoken with Porsche, who told that they were still working through the cable issue with the cable manufacturer, so know specific replacement cable would be available for the foreseeable future. Porsche told the dealership that they were shipping a tool to repair the cable, which perplexed the dealership, as there was no apparent damage to the cable that they removed. The dealership gave me the option of installing the used cable from another Porsche that was working. Since that was the only certain solution, I felt it was the only real choice I had if I wanted to get my car back.

Three days in, I have had continuous raim from at least 6 satellites. I will let you know if it falters.
Good luck to all who are still awaiting a fix.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:08 AM
jrkennedy37
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone have a final resolution on the GPS issue?

I’ve had module replaced once but only lasted for ~2 months. Going back in this week and would like to ensure it won’t be an issue again.

Also, if not, anyone figure out how to enable CarPlay to use mobile gps vs vehicle gps (it always reverts to the incorrect car location after a few min)

TIA
Old 02-24-2020, 11:14 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Originally Posted by jrkennedy37
Anyone have a final resolution on the GPS issue?

I’ve had module replaced once but only lasted for ~2 months. Going back in this week and would like to ensure it won’t be an issue again.

Also, if not, anyone figure out how to enable CarPlay to use mobile gps vs vehicle gps (it always reverts to the incorrect car location after a few min)

TIA
Never fixed. Given some credit as an apology but they've never really taken it seriously. If you get the answer please tell me!

Quick Reply: ‘18 Panamera gps issues