Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

‘18 Panamera gps issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 06:20 PM
sriklin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though I would provide a short update. The GPS module and antenna are on back order from Germany. The GPS has now started to work occasionally, showing it has a signal from 8-10 satellites. It will work for a day, and then it gets lost, unable to get a signal from any satellites. I am now wondering if it could also be a short in the cable between the antenna and module. This is a very strange gremlin. I hope Porsche gets it sorted out soon.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:35 PM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is exactly the same, didn't work all of last week but flawless for a 4 hour drive and today. Hopefully one person gets the answer and can pass it round.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:01 PM
ajriches01
Racer

sriklin and K777, you might have seen my other thread, but any update on your end on this? I do not want to fall out of love with the car but this is pushing it...
Old 05-30-2018, 02:15 PM
sriklin
Intermediate

Hi AJ,
Unfortunately, I have nothing new to report. I am going by the dealership this afternoon to get their take on this. I also contacted Porsche North America for the third time, and they politely told me that they would contact the dealer, research the issue and then get back to me. I also have sent them an email to document the process in writing in case I feel the need to elevate the issue through the means available.
I really love the car, but this is becoming frustrating...not what you would expect for a car of this caliber.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:17 PM
ajriches01
Racer

Thanks a lot for the update. What on earth could it be if they've replaced every part of the system?!
Old 05-30-2018, 02:27 PM
sriklin
Intermediate

For a short while, the GPS worked intermittently, showing it had raim (was able to see) 8-11 of the GPS satellites with which it could calculate its position.
Since it stopped working completely, with my car showing that it has not been getting raim from any satellites, it has to be one or more of:
- the antenna
- the cable between the antenna and the module
- the GPS module
- or the software.
When my Samsung 9+ GPS works flawlessly, and the car can't find a satellite, it is a bit frustrating.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:23 AM
ajriches01
Racer

If the above I have had all of the above replaced (including the central computer) APART from the wiring (which has been tested but not replaced). Must be a short on the wiring? Not sure about the module actually, if they've changed the computer they most have change the module also?
Old 05-31-2018, 11:38 AM
sriklin
Intermediate

I spent part of my afternoon at my dealer, and I may have some news. It appears that there has been some issues with ICE Panamera parts being different from e-hybrid Panamera parts, with the some e-hybrid parts only now showing up in the online parts catalog for the dealers. I was told that the reason the module that they installed would not take the programming was that it was the wrong part number. The correct part for the e-hybrid is supposed to arrive at the dealership on 6/5. Having an ETA on the part is great progress. I will let you know once the new part has been installed and programmed. Fingers crossed....
Old 05-31-2018, 11:39 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Interesting, I will relay this information.

Thank you!
Old 06-13-2018, 10:40 PM
sriklin
Intermediate

The dealership had my Panamera from Monday morning through today to install a new GPS communication module. I was told that they had the right module delivered from Germany last week. This would be the third, as the the first replacement module also would not program when they tried to replace the original module. The newly installed module apparently programmed properly. They then took the car for a drive to pick up all of the satellites, and when they returned to the dealership, the computer threw a communication error code. The dealership cleared the module and tried to reprogram it, but the module would not program. They put my original inoperable module back in, and had me come give them the loaner back and take my car home while they order the fourth GPS module. Unfortunately, I noticed on the drive home that the car settings were not quite right. Worse, the charging port will not unlock. I am taking the car back to them to leave in the morning, and have requested a loaner until they get it right.
I am beginning to think about asking for a refund or a replacement, as I have had the car since March, and it has never been fully operational. The frustration in paying this much for a Porsche and still not having it right after three months and numerous service visits has me about at the end of my rope...or should I say Porsche's rope..
Old 06-14-2018, 02:25 PM
VINK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sriklin
The dealership had my Panamera from Monday morning through today to install a new GPS communication module. I was told that they had the right module delivered from Germany last week. This would be the third, as the the first replacement module also would not program when they tried to replace the original module. The newly installed module apparently programmed properly. They then took the car for a drive to pick up all of the satellites, and when they returned to the dealership, the computer threw a communication error code. The dealership cleared the module and tried to reprogram it, but the module would not program. They put my original inoperable module back in, and had me come give them the loaner back and take my car home while they order the fourth GPS module. Unfortunately, I noticed on the drive home that the car settings were not quite right. Worse, the charging port will not unlock. I am taking the car back to them to leave in the morning, and have requested a loaner until they get it right.
I am beginning to think about asking for a refund or a replacement, as I have had the car since March, and it has never been fully operational. The frustration in paying this much for a Porsche and still not having it right after three months and numerous service visits has me about at the end of my rope...or should I say Porsche's rope..
Sorry to hear that! I know its frustrating as I'm going through some issues with my Panamera 4 as well. I'm not sure if I mentioned in this thread or a different one about power steering fail on freeway without any warning sign. Apparently, Porsche immediately changed the whole power steering module along with wiring harness. I had some other issues like, custom button on power steering loosing its stored settings, Rear view camera not engaging in reverse gear and the annoying start/stop function, Engine shuts off during parallel parking, engine shuts off before complete stop which is irritating and has a jerk effect in slow moving traffic. 12V socket in center console doesn't power the radar detector or dashcam when the engine starts. Need to unplug and plug in again. My SA is very understanding and helpful but these issues are intermittent and can't be replicated during service all the time. I was told to video document these issues for Porsche.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:12 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VINK
Sorry to hear that! I know its frustrating as I'm going through some issues with my Panamera 4 as well. I'm not sure if I mentioned in this thread or a different one about power steering fail on freeway without any warning sign. Apparently, Porsche immediately changed the whole power steering module along with wiring harness. I had some other issues like, custom button on power steering loosing its stored settings, Rear view camera not engaging in reverse gear and the annoying start/stop function, Engine shuts off during parallel parking, engine shuts off before complete stop which is irritating and has a jerk effect in slow moving traffic. 12V socket in center console doesn't power the radar detector or dashcam when the engine starts. Need to unplug and plug in again. My SA is very understanding and helpful but these issues are intermittent and can't be replicated during service all the time. I was told to video document these issues for Porsche.
Still no sign of a part for my GPS. (first reported 21 Jan)
Still Porsche GB insists non are available, and non even car production is being delayed in Germany.

My steering wheel button would not hold its stored setting when I had it set for the cameras. I changed it to sports exhaust months ago and its never lost that setting.
I plug my snooper into the 12v in the centre console, and routed the wire to the dash, not noticed the problem you have, but mostly I just unplug the unit and chuck it in the centre glove box until I need it, leaving the wire plugged in.
For both my dash cams I have routed wires to the double USB in the rear. No problems with that set up.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:31 AM
VINK
Instructor

Originally Posted by K777
Still no sign of a part for my GPS. (first reported 21 Jan)
Still Porsche GB insists non are available, and non even car production is being delayed in Germany.

My steering wheel button would not hold its stored setting when I had it set for the cameras. I changed it to sports exhaust months ago and its never lost that setting.
I plug my snooper into the 12v in the centre console, and routed the wire to the dash, not noticed the problem you have, but mostly I just unplug the unit and chuck it in the centre glove box until I need it, leaving the wire plugged in.
For both my dash cams I have routed wires to the double USB in the rear. No problems with that set up.
Sam here, using the custom button for cameras, never tried storing any other settings. I'll try the USB for dash cams.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:34 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VINK
Sam here, using the custom button for cameras, never tried storing any other settings. I'll try the USB for dash cams.
Do you know there's a button in the roof for turning cameras on ? I didn't -AJ pointed it out. There's a button up there for turning the proximity bleeper off too ( I didn't know that for about 2 years on my old S- EH).
Downside of the rear USB's is you cant close the "doors" on the compartment if left connected.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:33 PM
VINK
Instructor

Originally Posted by K777
Do you know there's a button in the roof for turning cameras on ? I didn't -AJ pointed it out. There's a button up there for turning the proximity bleeper off too ( I didn't know that for about 2 years on my old S- EH).
Downside of the rear USB's is you cant close the "doors" on the compartment if left connected.
Never noticed button in the roof for a camera. I was really looking to turn off Proximity beeper especially when stuck in traffic. Will check these out. Thanks K777!

Quick Reply: ‘18 Panamera gps issues