Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Panamera (https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera-167/)
-   -   Too digital? (https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera/1041121-too-digital.html)

Hawkeye911 12-29-2017 06:11 AM

Too digital?

I’m considering adding a new Cayenne Turbo to the stable when they release and I see online they are going with the fully digital displays / controls similar to the newest Panameras.

I am a huge Porsche fan, but think they made a big mistake trying to become too high tech.

While my 911 was in the shop, my dealer loaned me a new Panamera. I love technology, but felt this was over kill.

Simply moving the vent vent slats was comical. “Cool factor” of a 10, but functionality of a 1 (especially while driving).

Controls were hard to find and difficult to navigate.

I’m an early adopter in tech, simply love it, and this seemed like a great idea that was not well executed.

I’m curious if those who own the new Panamera have found this is something that becomes easier with use and now they love it - or if it’s something I may regret?

Plan B is the new Range Rover Ssoort SSR, but they seem to also be going fully digital on the same interfaces. Not sure if that will be any better.

nvarga 12-29-2017 07:49 AM

I love technology and digital equipment is not too much in the new Panamera which I drove for a week.
It does lack fine tuning and refinement in terms of usability.

Similar story is with original Panamera and facelift version. I own 2015 face lifted version which is to my opinion much better car on many different levels than original.

I have the same experience with merc s class 2005 and 2010. Different cars in many ways.

fgv1it 12-29-2017 08:50 AM

I have driven a 2017 Panamera for about eight months now, and yes, the tech stuff does become easier to use as you get used to it. The trick is, as with any other digital devices, that you have to set it up for you once you determine what you want to use and when you want to use it. The home screen is customizable, and you can place "links" on it for the stuff you want to access in a hurry (the central vents while you're driving, for example). You can also combine the screen and steering wheel controls to some extent to make the whole experience more convenient. There is also a passenger "widget" screen that is normally hidden that gives you additional possibilities for quick access to other stuff. That said, yes, there are still areas for improvement, sometimes major improvement, but the system does grow on you as you become familiar with it. Be prepared to spend a few hours with it at the beginning just scratching your head, though.

turbodogs02 12-29-2017 09:00 AM

I'm going to agree that automotive things in general are getting way to digital, at least for my liking. Without derailing down the "distracted driving" rabbit hole, just on principal alone I want knobs/buttons/levers/etc to control the functionality of my vehicle, not a smooth surface.

While the touchscreen for audio and nav controls in my '13 Panamera GTS is fine (as there are still basic knob/button controls there), I don't like the way everything seems to be going to more touch based controls. Like you, I think Porsche is beginning down a path that I hope doesn't start bleeding to far into the rest of the lineup. I don't think that it will, but it's a bummer to see it taking hold in the Panamera line, next into the SUV's.....hopefully that's as far as it gets.

I plan on keeping the GTS for a while, and depending on how "digital" (and may as well throw electrified in here too), I'm not sure how much newer my future vehicles will get. Time and desire and need will dictate it, but as for all of these damn kids with their backwards hats and their loud music......they can stay off my lawn. :D

cerbomark 12-29-2017 02:47 PM

Agree with OP. While my 15 Pana has all the switches, buttons etc, I didn t like the 17 layout when I tested one. I know I may need more time, but believe a sports car should have gauges, buttons etc.. Pana going too high tech luxury for me. Not sure what to do at lease end of 15. I m already putting in dealer request for nice low mileage CPO 16 (maybe GTS).

KenU 12-31-2017 10:46 AM

Does anyone know how to program SiriusXM stations including song/artist information on one screen (17)?

thorfun 12-31-2017 02:57 PM

Love the tech. It’s definitely got easier as ownership progresses. When I drive other models I really miss the digital tech in my Panamera.

Each to to their own though.

fgv1it 12-31-2017 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by KenU (Post 14701322)
Does anyone know how to program SiriusXM stations including song/artist information on one screen (17)?

When you are playing an XM/Sirius station, simply hit the "media" button on the center console or the touchscreen, and a page will appear with the artist and song title, plus the cover of the album that contained the song when it was released.

KenU 01-01-2018 03:35 AM

fg, I’d like to have ALL the info with one stroke: hit the station and everything is displayed on one screen. Looking to save pressing another button to see artist and song, etc.

ajriches01 01-02-2018 04:16 AM

They could make some simple changes.

1. MEDIA ON THE INSTRUMENT BINACLES
2. Radio - if I hit Media and Source is set to Radio - just take me to favourites so I can easily change between stations. Not a 12 inch screen with basically nothing of use on it.
3. WORK WITH ANDROID/SPOTIFY

more I'm sure.

Hawkeye911 01-06-2018 10:37 AM

Thanks for the great feeeback, hope to see others offer insight as well.

I was hoping to see a lot more of “I Love it, just takes a bit of adjustment”... but it seems closer to a “You’ll get used to it with time” sort of response thus far.

Aesthetically, I love it. I also like the fact it seems pretty customizable. Functionality is the key. My wife is far from a techie and my son will be driving this a lot as well - I prefer he focus on the road and not navigating windows. We want the most modern car possible from a safety perspective though as he begins to drive, so we do appreciate tech when it’s deployed in the right places.