Panamera 2010-Current

Oil Overfill warning on new Panamera 4

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 10:37 PM
dadc4s
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Oil Overfill warning on new Panamera 4

Last night, on the way home, I got a warning light saying that the oil was overfilled. It went on to say that I could drive the car, but that I should take it in for Service. The car is about 5 weeks old, has 1300 miles on it. I didn’t make too much of it but it was still on the next day. I called the dealer to arrange to bring it in. Of course, after the appointment was made, the light went out! I took it up to the dealer, they checked the oil level manually, felt there was in fact too much oil, and they took out a little less than a quart. The oil level is now about 3/4 full. The service rep says that they fill it to the top at the factory, but then after driving, the oil volume can expand and tip the sensor. No harm, no foul. Car is otherwise faultless, doing very well in the bitter cold and snow with a set of Continental snow tires. Let me know if any of you have had this problem....drive safely.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:43 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

My GT3 with 100 miles just gave the same warning
Old 01-06-2018, 02:22 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dadc4s
Last night, on the way home, I got a warning light saying that the oil was overfilled. It went on to say that I could drive the car, but that I should take it in for Service. The car is about 5 weeks old, has 1300 miles on it. I didn’t make too much of it but it was still on the next day. I called the dealer to arrange to bring it in. Of course, after the appointment was made, the light went out! I took it up to the dealer, they checked the oil level manually, felt there was in fact too much oil, and they took out a little less than a quart. The oil level is now about 3/4 full. The service rep says that they fill it to the top at the factory, but then after driving, the oil volume can expand and tip the sensor. No harm, no foul. Car is otherwise faultless, doing very well in the bitter cold and snow with a set of Continental snow tires. Let me know if any of you have had this problem....drive safely.
I think just about everyone who drives a recent model Porsche has had this problem at one time or another. The electronic oil level monitor in their cars is, frankly, crap. When oil reads low, it takes only a very small amount to fill and then overfill the tank. If your oil level sensor reads at the very bottom of the scale, 1/2 quart will overfill the engine and fire up the warning lights. You practically have to add oil a tablespoon at a time!

And there are more problems with the system than just that. In my GT3, if you open the trunk lid (to, you know, add oil) it won't permit you to read the oil level immediately. It takes its time, and by that I mean it can be days or even (this really did happen to me) weeks before it will give you a reading. Also, it's very sensitive to oil temp and won't give you a reading if the temp is too high or too low. So, for example, when I come in from a half-hour track session, I cannot check my oil level until it cools down. WTF? This is the time when I MOST need to be able to check it! After that, if I do manage to check it successfully and add oil, I won't be able to check the level again that day. Again I say -- WTF?

I've complained about their oil level sensor on every Porsche survey I've received over the last several years. I've had two Panameras and 5 911s in the last decade, and everyone of them had the same stupid system. My dealer says "we hate it too, we'd rather have dipsticks too, but Porsche thinks nobody will ever check them so they need to do this."

And you can see how much of an impact I've had on them! The stupid oil level sensing system, the stupid cupholders in the 911s and Boxster/Caymans - remain unchanged.

How can a company that does so many things so well persist with this crap? AARGH.

DMoore
'15 GT3
'16 RS7
'18 Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo, "sitting on the dock of the bay" in San Diego, waiting (since early December) for EPA and CARB clearances. Latest estimate for release is April...
The following users liked this post:
Bassman37 (12-16-2021)
Old 01-06-2018, 01:36 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
I think just about everyone who drives a recent model Porsche has had this problem at one time or another. The electronic oil level monitor in their cars is, frankly, crap. When oil reads low, it takes only a very small amount to fill and then overfill the tank. If your oil level sensor reads at the very bottom of the scale, 1/2 quart will overfill the engine and fire up the warning lights. You practically have to add oil a tablespoon at a time!

And there are more problems with the system than just that. In my GT3, if you open the trunk lid (to, you know, add oil) it won't permit you to read the oil level immediately. It takes its time, and by that I mean it can be days or even (this really did happen to me) weeks before it will give you a reading. Also, it's very sensitive to oil temp and won't give you a reading if the temp is too high or too low. So, for example, when I come in from a half-hour track session, I cannot check my oil level until it cools down. WTF? This is the time when I MOST need to be able to check it! After that, if I do manage to check it successfully and add oil, I won't be able to check the level again that day. Again I say -- WTF?

I've complained about their oil level sensor on every Porsche survey I've received over the last several years. I've had two Panameras and 5 911s in the last decade, and everyone of them had the same stupid system. My dealer says "we hate it too, we'd rather have dipsticks too, but Porsche thinks nobody will ever check them so they need to do this."

And you can see how much of an impact I've had on them! The stupid oil level sensing system, the stupid cupholders in the 911s and Boxster/Caymans - remain unchanged.

How can a company that does so many things so well persist with this crap? AARGH.

DMoore
'15 GT3
'16 RS7
'18 Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo, "sitting on the dock of the bay" in San Diego, waiting (since early December) for EPA and CARB clearances. Latest estimate for release is April...
My 2010 4S presents no problems maintaining the oil level, my garage fills to the 3/4 mark and when the level drops to 1/2 I can add a half quart and restore the sensor back to 3/4. With nearly 60,000 miles this has been consistent although I will say that I'd prefer a dipstick for immediate filling feedback.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I have just got this message today on a Panamera 4 E-Hybrid. Just a couple of months old and only done 750 miles. Irritating as I have never added any oil, so how can the oil level be high unless it has blown a head gasket and is leaking coolant into the sump. There is no audible indication of a blown head gasket and no excess steam in the exhaust.

Wilson
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 07:05 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

So my spoiler is finally not reporting error messages, likely due to the warmer temperatures here and now I get the "Oil Level too high, Driving permitted, Service necessary" message. What next? Should I schedule a trip to the dealer?
Old 03-04-2021, 10:52 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MKC91
I get the "Oil Level too high, Driving permitted, Service necessary" message. What next? Should I schedule a trip to the dealer?
Absolutely. They need to drain some oil out. I have two V12 Ferraris and when the oil is changed I fill it 1/4 inch below the MAX mark. The worse thing you can do with these cars is overfill the oil.

My wife's 2018 Panamera is the first Porsche I have owned and I hate the lack of a dipstick. The first oil service was complimentary. On the second one I didn't have time so I let the dealer do it. The third one I did and I put in the exact amount. I got the oil level too high message, what a PITA to drain it out. Not to mention they make it as hard as possible to shut off the maintenance light if you change the oil yourself. And don't even get me started on changing the engine air filter.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:43 AM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Good to know about the dipstick... since the dealer did my last oil change, it will be back to them ASAP.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:11 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Oh, and one other issue with no dipstick. I have a friend who has a tool that will syphon oil out through the dipstick tube. I could have borrowed it, but of course with no dipstick this is not possible on a Panamera.
The following 2 users liked this post by knowspin:
gotham (10-10-2023), MKC91 (03-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Oil Overfill warning on new Panamera 4