Panamera 2010-Current

Help Pls: 2011 Panamera4 DriverSide Mirror Folding Too Far

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:38 PM
dreamtank
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Pls: 2011 Panamera4 DriverSide Mirror Folding Too Far

Hey everyone, have a Panamera4 with a driver side mirror that is rotating WAY too far when trying to go from folded to regular position.

Happened randomly after a fill up at the gas station, in cold weather.

When folding the mirror it is fine, but when trying to unfold the motor will keep rotating the mirror until it's facing the ground.

Ive tried unfolding the mirror then using my hand to stop rotation at the correct position. Problem is, when I insert key and turn to start it will automatically fold down again. Real annoying!

My temp solution has been to manually turn the mirror from the incorrect position up to the correct position. When doing this I can feel the mirror dislodging from the arm/track (pressing the fold button will cause the mirror to snap back into place, but recreate the problem in the last paragraph). This is the only way I've discovered to keep the mirror stationary.

Hope someone can help! Have attached a pic of the incorrect overfolded position.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:20 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

This happens when there gets to be excessive play in the pivot mechanism and the motor misses the stop when its folding out. The mirror base assembly will need to be replaced which will require removal of the mirror from the door and complete disassembly of the mirror housing.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:35 AM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I had my passenger side one get all loose and wonky when I started up and I just kept turning it manually to try to reset it and about the 3rd or 4th time it worked and it's been fine ever since.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:33 AM
CHI-ALAN
Intermediate

I had the same thing happen with my driver's side mirror last summer. 2012 P4. It did it maybe 3-4 times and it hasn't done it since. I too would manually move it back to the correct position.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:55 PM
dreamtank
7th Gear

Ok so quick update I was able to fix this by manually playing with the mirror "notch" positions.

I basically had the mirror move/rotate to the incorrect downward-facing position then moved back until it "snapped" into the correct spot.

I did try this before except it wouldn't snap into the correct position if that makes sense - it would be off by a few inches.

so if you have this same problem it can take some trial and error to get the positioning right.

all good now! Thanks everyone for the feedback
Old 11-26-2020, 07:23 PM
Hiep Ngo
1st Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

0) Roll down the window
1) Turn key to on
2) Press the mirror button to get to the down facing (driving position)
3) Turn key to off
4) Manually rotate the mirror toward the rear, and keep rotate when it pass the "correct" position another 45 degree until you hear the snap. Stop the rotation.
5) Turn key to on again
6) Press the mirror button to get it to the parking position.
7) Press the mirror button again, it should bring the mirror to the correct driving position. Cheers!
The following 6 users liked this post by Hiep Ngo:
larner (04-17-2023), MKC91 (09-16-2021), oz3 (11-27-2020), rx7ven (07-28-2021), sp3000 (02-26-2021), texski (06-10-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-26-2021, 04:39 AM
sp3000
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

How hard did you have to "snap" the mirror in position. Mine just this today. I'm still under warranty and have booked into the dealer but the soonest they could get me in was 7 days. Should I try to "fix" myself or best to let them do it properly? If there is such a thing?
Old 02-26-2021, 10:04 PM
sp3000
Instructor

I did what was described above and it worked, for others who may be nervous like i was, I used a fair amount of gentle pressure with both hands to rotate the mirror back, it didn't feel like anything would break but it was more than just a light push. once it started moving it felt fine, as above I kept going past the regular position about 45 degrees and it just went 'POP' and that was that. The question now is, should I still take it to the dealer to get "fixed" now that it is working fine or does this indicate that a part is damaged and should be replaced or it will happen again? As I said I'm still under warranty so cost is not an issue.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:38 AM
rx7ven
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hiep Ngo
0) Roll down the window
1) Turn key to on
2) Press the mirror button to get to the down facing (driving position)
3) Turn key to off
4) Manually rotate the mirror toward the rear, and keep rotate when it pass the "correct" position another 45 degree until you hear the snap. Stop the rotation.
5) Turn key to on again
6) Press the mirror button to get it to the parking position.
7) Press the mirror button again, it should bring the mirror to the correct driving position. Cheers!
i noticed this is your first and only post but wow, this just happened to me today and it just saved me and looks like atleast 2 others.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:02 AM
Incriva
1st Gear

Default Driver side mirror folding too far

I had something similar happened to my Panamera 4 (2013) and I tried all the tricks mentioned above all to no avail. I still felt it made the car look awkward when I had to manually adjust it after starting the car. So I took it to my nearest Porsche Dealer (McKinney TX) and one Brand Ambassador there was so nice and courteous he offered to call in a Technician to look at it for free! I felt special being they were opened just a couple months ago and fairly busy. They tinkered abit for 20 mins and viola!! It stopped in the driving position. They have won my service there for sure!!!
Old 09-15-2021, 07:38 PM
sp3000
Instructor

Originally Posted by Incriva
I had something similar happened to my Panamera 4 (2013) and I tried all the tricks mentioned above all to no avail. I still felt it made the car look awkward when I had to manually adjust it after starting the car. So I took it to my nearest Porsche Dealer (McKinney TX) and one Brand Ambassador there was so nice and courteous he offered to call in a Technician to look at it for free! I felt special being they were opened just a couple months ago and fairly busy. They tinkered abit for 20 mins and viola!! It stopped in the driving position. They have won my service there for sure!!!
Do you know what they did?
Old 11-22-2021, 03:59 PM
Aboki
1st Gear

Default 2010 Panamera mirror won’t fold either in or out

Originally Posted by sp3000
How hard did you have to "snap" the mirror in position. Mine just this today. I'm still under warranty and have booked into the dealer but the soonest they could get me in was 7 days. Should I try to "fix" myself or best to let them do it properly? If there is such a thing?
did you get it fixed?
Old 01-17-2023, 12:10 AM
Dr S
1st Gear

Default Also in McKinney

I'm also in McKinney. Can you remember the name of the technician or rep with whom you spoke?

Originally Posted by Incriva
Old 01-17-2023, 04:01 AM
sp3000
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aboki
did you get it fixed?
It's been fine ever since I put it back in place that one time👍
Old 04-17-2023, 01:39 PM
larner
1st Gear

Default it worked like a charm

Thank tou so much for the tutorial, it worked great, so once the mirror is on the wrong position you force it back (past the normal driving position, once it passes another 45degrees it snaps loudly) but you shoud do everything within the tutorial with keys on and off etc...

Quick Reply: Help Pls: 2011 Panamera4 DriverSide Mirror Folding Too Far