Panamera 2010-Current

Oil Change - 2017 Panamera 4

Old 12-29-2017, 10:46 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts
Default Oil Change - 2017 Panamera 4

Hi.

I took delivery of my Panamera 4 here in the UK at the end of March 2017.

After just under 10k miles, the car 'told' me that it needed an oil change, which I didn't expect until 20k miles. The Porsche Centre said it was to do with how my car was driven. I found this strange, as most of my miles are motorway journeys and not short local trips.

Immediately after the oil change, the car said another was due after another 20k miles, but before the car reached 11k miles, the car was telling me that an oil change will be due at 20k miles (only 10k miles after the first oil change).

This seems very odd to me. I appreciate that not many other Panameras will have done my mileage, as I'm now on about 12,500 miles, but has anyone else seen an oil change indicated at 10k miles?

Cheers.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:35 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Strange. I have a 15 but seems my changes are at 10K but I think anything after 1 year and it pops up to change. I don t remember 20K changes. Mine shows SERVICE DUE and it not only oil. Could be other things like brake fluid, cabin filter. Does yours say specific to oil change or just service?
Did you check the book?
Old 12-29-2017, 09:06 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
Hi.

I took delivery of my Panamera 4 here in the UK at the end of March 2017.

After just under 10k miles, the car 'told' me that it needed an oil change, which I didn't expect until 20k miles. The Porsche Centre said it was to do with how my car was driven. I found this strange, as most of my miles are motorway journeys and not short local trips.

Immediately after the oil change, the car said another was due after another 20k miles, but before the car reached 11k miles, the car was telling me that an oil change will be due at 20k miles (only 10k miles after the first oil change).

This seems very odd to me. I appreciate that not many other Panameras will have done my mileage, as I'm now on about 12,500 miles, but has anyone else seen an oil change indicated at 10k miles?

Cheers.
Out of curiosity, why are you concerned about an oil change with such an expensive car? I've owned a 4S since 2010 and change the oil about every 6500 miles or once a year. Most of my driving is highway mileage and with each change I have an oil analysis done. The analyses say that the wear rates are minimal and I should keep doing what I have been doing.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:23 AM
Cosworthstag
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Software Fault

Have a June 2017 and had oil warning after 200 miles!
Went in and was reset and software updated returned with wing mirrors no longer folding in!
back in again and all sorted so I thought 50 miles later needs another oil change!
call dealer and there’s nothing they can do as it’s a software fault and waiting on Porsche to re write it!
3 months later with me having to chance dealer it’s back in again for the new software and to be returned back to me with the wing mirrors not folding in.
dealer could not get them to work on one day so left to use public transport as car had to stay another dat for them to try again and fix.
finnaly got it back but now find rear spoiler not flush at one end but can’t be doing with car going back again!
Old 12-30-2017, 04:12 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by cerbomark
Strange. I have a 15 but seems my changes are at 10K but I think anything after 1 year and it pops up to change. I don t remember 20K changes. Mine shows SERVICE DUE and it not only oil. Could be other things like brake fluid, cabin filter. Does yours say specific to oil change or just service?
Did you check the book?
Hi. Thanks for your reply.

Haven't heard of other Porsches needing a change every 10k miles, but if that is required, so be it. I did over 11k miles in my 991.1 C2 before swapping to my new Panamera and that needed no oil change during that time.

I keep in touch with many Macan owners too, with no significant numbers there needing an oil change before their first service.

The service indicator shows service and oil change separately (x miles to next oil change or by a certain date and x miles to next service or by a certain date).

Cheers.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:20 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Hi pmichaelis.

Am not unduly concerned. As you say, the cost of an oil change (£300) is small beer in relation to an £85,000 car.

It's just that other Porsches that I am aware of do not seem to require oil changes more often than services (services being every 20k miles).

If my new car needs fresh oil every 10k miles, then so be it. Was just concerned that the oil change indicator was faulty, and being a new Panamera, the Porsche Centre have little experience of this and just seemed to be guessing when answering my questions.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:37 AM
cerbomark
Racer

Just to clarify, my cars are older than yours, I had a 997 and it was 10K changes too. I think at some point they must have gone to 20K intervals.
I will scroll thru my 15 Pana and make sure I m giving you correct info.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:09 AM
cerbomark
Racer

Just checked, again mine is a 970. Show 3 separate SERVICEs. The oil service is showing due after what will be 10K. (I have put 5K + since reset and showing 3K+ left till change).
I thought I remember reading somewhere that those numbers can be re programmed by dealers, not sure?
Old 12-31-2017, 05:25 PM
Turbinepilot
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2017 Panamera Turbo 11,000 Miles....says 900 Miles to go before oil change. All of sudden message come up on instrument panel saying “ reduced power mode”. See dealer” car is sluggish...very little power even in Sport Plus mode.
any ideas?
Old 12-31-2017, 07:00 PM
cerbomark
Racer

guess is one has nothing to do with the other. Take it to dealer ASAP.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:22 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Thanks, Turbinepilot. Hope that your car is quickly sorted out and back to normal.

Thanks, cerbomark. I also recall hearing that the dealer can re-programme those numbers, but the dealer said that the interval between oil changes is determined by the car and how it's driven. Can't help thinking it's a ploy by Porsche to make more profit from more regular oil changes. Not sure why a new Panamera should need oil changes more often than say a 991 or a Macan...??
Old 01-03-2018, 08:39 AM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

We picked up my wife's 2018 Panamera 4 on December 20th (her Christmas present). The maintenance booklet calls for oil changes at 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Personally I would never go 20,000 miles between oil changes no matter what the manufacturer said, certainly not on a high performance car.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:29 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Ah, that is interesting. Thank you. I can see no reason why the oil change interval should be different between the UK and the US, so maybe every 10k miles is the 'new normal'.

i don't recall getting a 'maintenance booklet' with my 2017 Panamera 4.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:52 PM
cerbomark
Racer

There should be a maintenance section booklet in the car. So it is 10K. That s a good period IMO. With over 8-9 quarts that oil stays clean and up to par for a long while. Moisture is probably the biggest concern for cars that sit or drive short periods.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:01 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

I will have to check my car for a maintenance booklet... Although the OPC over here were definitely not saying that the 10k oil change is standard. They just kept saying it's a variable interval between oil changes depending on how the car is driven...

"Cars that sit or drive short periods" will definitely not be a problem for me! Picked up my Panamera 4 at the end of March and already over 13k miles!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Change - 2017 Panamera 4