Panamera 2010-Current

Recall remedies - AH08 Camshaft Controllers Variocam bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Xcellr8
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Recall remedies - AH08 Camshaft Controllers Variocam bolts

Hello, 2011 Turbo Pan owner that experienced breakdown due to broken bolts covered by recall. Car has been at the dealer now for over two weeks. Removal of engine and partial disassembly of engine has resulted in recovery of several broken camshaft controller bolts. Dealer states PNA, who is authorizing work, has asked that engine continue to be disassembled to identify broken parts to be replaced. As broken metal pieces bounced through the engine, I would think the whole engine needs to be replaced. The dealer suggest I call PNA. Me? Really? How is the layman's opinion of this situation going to bring about the correct resolution?

What resolution have other owners of failures covered by the recall experienced?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 08-07-2017, 11:36 PM
karthik999
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in a similar situation couple of weeks ago. My 2010 Pan Turbo stalled because of broken camshaft bolts. Was lucky recall was issue a week ago before the incident. Dealer worked with PNA and they authorized to fix the bent valves. Dealership replaced about 2 bent valves, timing chain along with a number of gaskets/bolts. I got my car back a week ago after 21 days. So far so good. Only thing strange i noticed is my front suspension seems to sag to the lowest possible height when parked over night (not sure if its any settings which got messed up or any leaky part of the air suspension)
Old 08-09-2017, 10:28 AM
Xcellr8
Rennlist Member

Default Are updated replacement parts available?

As most of us know, some Cayennes have the same motor and therefore the same issue. Similar discussions are taking place on that area of the forum. There is confusion. It appears there is a question regarding the availability of the updated parts needed to remedy the problem. Some report that the revised part(s) are not available (estimated date is Oct., '17), claiming any engine repaired today, will need to be repaired again. Geez.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:08 AM
karthik999
Rennlist Member

Dealer mentioned that they installed the newly designed bolts and marked as AH08 complete on my vehicle. I am assuming they expedite the process if your car already has broken bolts and sitting in the service center.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:55 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Xcellr8
As most of us know, some Cayennes have the same motor and therefore the same issue. Similar discussions are taking place on that area of the forum. There is confusion. It appears there is a question regarding the availability of the updated parts needed to remedy the problem. Some report that the revised part(s) are not available (estimated date is Oct., '17), claiming any engine repaired today, will need to be repaired again. Geez.
I talked to my dealer today, and was told mid-September.
Which probably means mid-October...
Old 09-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Xcellr8
Rennlist Member

Default Geez, now what?

Before I expound upon my frustration, I first want to say that the dealer, Isringhausen is still tops in my mind. They are left to try make a bad situation good, and given the solution to the problem is being driven by the factory (or Porsche North America), I believe they (Isringhausen) is doing the best they can.

Long story short, PCNA decided that in their opinion my engine should be repaired, not replaced. Despite being given the reports from the service technician about the extent of the failure which included countless - more than a dozen - metal pieces and fragments.

I received the "repaired" car back on 8/30/17 and drove 40 miles home during which the minimum oil level message came on. I thought (maybe hoped is a better word) that the service tech just didn't add quite enough oil. I added a quart of oil at home. The next day, my wife drove 60 miles and the minimum oil level reappeared. Yikes.

Odd thing is, no white smoke is visible, nor is there a puddle of oil under the car. Where is the oil going? If it is being burned, then is the life of the catalytic converters being shortened by trying to "clean - up" the oily exhaust?

I have an appointment with the dealer to investigate. Interestingly, I got a call from the dealership to inquire about my satisfaction with my recent service (the recall work following engine failure). That was an awkward conversation.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:46 PM
2011_Cayenne_S
Track Day

Wrong post
Old 12-05-2017, 03:27 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This AH08 recall situation is becoming weird to say the least. I just contacted Ray Catena Porsche for information as to when parts will be available. The response I received, which is the same as I've been hearing for months now, is that the parts aren't available yet ! Now we are talking about a handfull of bolts, not some exotic spacecraft component . Does anyone know what's going on and even more importantly has anyone had the recall actually performed?
Old 12-05-2017, 05:49 PM
Phil_PPTT
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pmichaelis
This AH08 recall situation is becoming weird to say the least. I just contacted Ray Catena Porsche for information as to when parts will be available. The response I received, which is the same as I've been hearing for months now, is that the parts aren't available yet ! Now we are talking about a handfull of bolts, not some exotic spacecraft component . Does anyone know what's going on and even more importantly has anyone had the recall actually performed?
I had the recall performed about a month ago. I was told they prioritized my car as the engine was already out of the car for other maintenance work.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:53 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 620 Likes on 358 Posts

Hello Gentlemen. I suggest you write, a regular letter, (not email) Porche Cars of North America customer relations and throw in some heavy words in there. They are just covering their behinds so they don't get hit and later have to settle a massive class action suit like back in the day with the 996 and early 997 IMS issue. Anyone that has received the Notice of AH08 replacement from PCNA as opposed to a formal recall notice can understand what I'm trying to say here. Yet if you run your own CarFax on your car right now it will show a pending recall, yet it is not officially a PCNA recall yet, yeah right. I had my car inspected since it is up for sale now and there is nothing wrong with it and I am offering a modest $$ discount only for the trouble of having to go through this 'recall" if by the time I sell the car my place in line is not up yet at the local Porsche dealer in Miami to have this addressed. I do not drive the car anymore due it being up for sale so don't have to worry about anything but man how can you drive with the worry of the engine potentially stalling? and PCNA thinks that is OK, that you just have to wait for the parts? Unreal. I could not have my 27 month old son in the backseat of the Panamera with this going on that is just nuts!

Anyway enough with the rant. Just thought I would put my 2 cents in here and report back if and when anything arises prior to me selling the car. Also if I get a feeler on what to do with PCNA. Good luck guys and be safe!
Old 01-07-2018, 05:38 PM
Bosman Nanek
4th Gear

Hello, i am new here. Did anyone know the Size of the screws ?
there are 8 to change.

Quick Reply: Recall remedies - AH08 Camshaft Controllers Variocam bolts