Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

E-power will not come on. Anybody else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 10:55 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 158 Posts
Angry E-power will not come on. Anybody else?

My S e-Hybrid will not go into e-power mode. The car, which usually starts in e power mode, now starts with the engine, and when I press the e-power mode button, a warning light comes the dash saying, "E-power mode cannot be used." Anybody else having this problem?
Old 10-17-2017, 04:20 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which generation?
Old 10-28-2017, 10:44 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 158 Posts

2014. The first time this happened they told me a relay had gone bad, and they replaced it. This time, they couldn't find a problem, so they asked me to bring my charger in. They charged the car with theirs and mine and said both worked. Their new theory is that my 220 outlet is not putting out enough voltage, and therefore causing the battery to get too hot. If that is true....why wouldn't the car go back to e-power when the battery cooled off?

My electrician is coming by this week to check the 220, but he says he seriously doubts that the 220 is putting out low voltage. He did tell me that the plugin cars that have had problems are the ones where the chargers failed to turn off after the battery was fully charged, and thus the batteries would get too hot. I called the dealer, and they said that they did not check whether my charger quit charging after the car battery was full.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:23 AM
pishter
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any updates on this?

My 2015 s e hybrid suddenly won't start in e-power mode now. The engine starts right when you turn the key. Normally the car will at least start in e-power mode and then if the conditions aren't right (just put in new gas, or oil temperatures not to its liking) it will then turn the ICE on.

However, starting this weekend, the engine goes on right from the start and the battery is at 100%.

In previous times, when the car runs for about 5 mins, that will allow the conditions to be right for the e-power mode to be used. Now, after driving for that amount of time, the e-power mode is still not available.

Was wondering if you found a solution to this?
Old 02-26-2018, 03:35 AM
nvarga
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pishter, are temperatures sub 0'C? That would prevent the car to go into e power mode.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:56 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nvarga
Pishter, are temperatures sub 0'C? That would prevent the car to go into e power mode.
That's not correct.
Mine would still start in E power even if minus temperatures.

My biz partner had this with his, but not sure what they did to rectify the issue.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:42 AM
pishter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nvarga
Nope. Temps in the 50s and 60s.

Anyone else with with any ideas?
Old 02-27-2018, 02:48 PM
pishter
Intermediate

Posting the findings in case it might be helpful to others.

The hybrid control computer was fine. That was my guess to the problem.

Dealer found out that hybrid system has went into a ‘Safe Mode’ due to a fault in the brake booster vacuum pressure sensor.

The tech found a stuck one-way valve for the vacuum system in his diagnosis.

There is a technical bulletin regarding this concern and it directs them to replace all three vacuum lines. In addition because the pump has overran trying to compensate for the stuck valve, they will replace the pump and the relay that controls it as well.

Hoping to get the car back next week because the pump needs to be ordered.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:07 PM
Blakey
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-power issue with brake boost fix

Originally Posted by pishter
Posting the findings in case it might be helpful to others.

The hybrid control computer was fine. That was my guess to the problem.

Dealer found out that hybrid system has went into a ‘Safe Mode’ due to a fault in the brake booster vacuum pressure sensor.

The tech found a stuck one-way valve for the vacuum system in his diagnosis.

There is a technical bulletin regarding this concern and it directs them to replace all three vacuum lines. In addition because the pump has overran trying to compensate for the stuck valve, they will replace the pump and the relay that controls it as well.

Hoping to get the car back next week because the pump needs to be ordered.

Thank you for this post. Just got the service engine soon code for the brake booster this morning and now experiencing the same with e-power refusing to engage. Have an apt. With Porsche this week for an A/C recharge so will add this to the list. Did they cover this since it’s a known issue with the TSB out? I’m just out of warranty so a little annoyed that now I have all these issues.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:49 PM
pishter
Intermediate

Mine was under warranty so I don't know what they will do for you.

My 2 cents on this is the better the relationship you have, the more likely they will try to make things right.

Good luck.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:39 AM
Sharon Steidle
1st Gear

Question

My 2015 Panamera S E-hybrid did the same thing this morning as what pishter and mafpolo stated in comments below. It usually starts in e-power, but this morning it started with the engine and with a full charge once I tried switching to e-power mode, I got a message saying e-power not available..
Any clues?
Thanks
Old 09-13-2019, 09:35 AM
pishter
Intermediate

Could be anything really.

From recent fill up with gas to the computer putting the car in safe mode.

I suggest drive it for a couple of days. If it doesn’t revert back then you need the dealer to diagnose.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:16 PM
Simon Tan
2nd Gear

I had the issue described by the OP sometime back and the dealer said it had something to do with water contamination in the charging port. They took care of it under warranty, and I haven't experienced the same thing since. What I have noticed, however, is that battery capacity seems to have dropped to less than half what it used to be. A full overnight charge now is an indicated 8 miles when starting in 80-90 degree weather. Anyone know what it takes for Porsche to replace an e-hybrid battery under warranty?
Old 12-07-2022, 01:25 PM
fantomphixer
8th Gear

Default no hybrid including engine stop when coasting or stopped

all vacuum lines replaced now electric brake booster found to be fried. problem with e power not available started during heavy rain . also oil level over full or 1 qt low happens when driven in varying altitudes ( 8k to sea level). msg cleared by venting oil pan at dip stick guide plug.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:15 PM
natstalgia
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2015 PSEH has this problem from time to time, but I have found that it always throws a code -- not enough to turn the check engine light on, but enough for the system to go into safe mode or something that prevents the electric motor from going. I have a Wi-Fi OBD2 that I plug in, scan the code (P0469 -- evaporative emission system high purge flow), clear it -- it stays cleared, and suddenly everything works again. I have taken it to the dealer while it was under warranty a couple of times and they could not find anything until the last time -- some sensor was replaced around the fuel filler. I was so happy to have it fixed and then about a month later it did it again and I decided I would just live with it.

It does happen more frequently soon after I fill up with fuel. But as I have a work around, I just live with it for now.

Perhaps that will help some of you.

Quick Reply: E-power will not come on. Anybody else?