Panamera 2010-Current

2017+ Common Issues

Old 01-09-2019, 03:55 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MKC91
Then I'll change the title to "Stuck Up Spoiler!"
I noticed another message and it's fixed now. Temperatures have been hovering above and below freezing so I decided to pour some hot water around the area and after a few minutes of driving, the Spoiler button lit up and I was able to close it.
Lesson learned, I'll keep it down in the winter.

Do you think the issue was ice build up???
Old 01-09-2019, 04:12 PM
SillyGoose
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NYG1121

Proud owner of a 2017 Panamera 4 and absolutely loving this car. By far the best car I have ever driven. Can have S class comfort if I want it even on 21 in wheels (Air suspension) or have it lowered and unleash the beast on the road. Tech is also amazing, zero complaints from me about the interior. The fingerprint thing is overblown, half the time I dont even touch any of the buttons. But wanted to get a thread going about issues people have encountered to see if we can learn from each other.

1. Fuel door cap doesn’t always catch. Sometimes have to push it a couple times to open and close
2. PDK at slow speeds can be a little clunky. Its the 15-30 mph range when in traffic it doesn’t enjoy. When pushed to its capability its the best transmission ive experienced
3. Center vent has a little mind of its own or maybe I haven’t quite configured it yet. Trying to get it to stay open but it defaults to being shut

Feel free to comment on these or other issues. Having it tinted with felt this weekend so will let you all know how that goes
is that black?

also, my Porsche salesperson says that the air conditioning vents can permanently be set so that every time you start the car, it goes to the same position you had it in previously. also, the auto stop/start can permanently be shut off. will verify with him soon
Old 01-09-2019, 05:50 PM
pietpara
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on this fabulously driving car!

regarding the charging and fuel caps, there is a Porsche service action on this so your dealer should take care of this for free.
I also read somewhere in this thread that the clunkiness of the PDK could be solved with a software update. Also on the PDK there is a Porsche service action, but i don't know if that solves that issue.
I'm having these service actions done soon, so I will know then. I asked the dealer but didn't get a confirming answer.

I have a question... when you make a sharp turn slowly with steering wheel almost completely to it's left or right stops, on a flat road, e.g. when parking, I notice a very clear "clunk" of the front wheels, as if they tilt on the turn and fall into place with a clunk.
Anybody notice this? Is it normal because of the wide wheels? Or is it some other noise in the steering servos or suspension that's completely normal?
Cheers
Old 01-09-2019, 11:25 PM
SillyGoose
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pietpara

regarding the charging and fuel caps, there is a Porsche service action on this so your dealer should take care of this for free.
I also read somewhere in this thread that the clunkiness of the PDK could be solved with a software update. Also on the PDK there is a Porsche service action, but i don't know if that solves that issue.
I'm having these service actions done soon, so I will know then. I asked the dealer but didn't get a confirming answer.

I have a question... when you make a sharp turn slowly with steering wheel almost completely to it's left or right stops, on a flat road, e.g. when parking, I notice a very clear "clunk" of the front wheels, as if they tilt on the turn and fall into place with a clunk.
Anybody notice this? Is it normal because of the wide wheels? Or is it some other noise in the steering servos or suspension that's completely normal?
Cheers
your car is fine during those sharp low speed turns
wait until your tires are fully warmed up and you will see that "problem" go away. happens on all cars, even Toyota Camrys, and is totally natural
Old 01-10-2019, 05:00 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cheers
Its called the Ackermann effect.
Made worse with wide tyres, and worse still in cold.
Its normal, don't worry about it.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 AM
HankB
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SillyGoose
is that black?

also, my Porsche salesperson says that the air conditioning vents can permanently be set so that every time you start the car, it goes to the same position you had it in previously. also, the auto stop/start can permanently be shut off. will verify with him soon
Are you sure about the stop/start thing? I’ve tried everything and other than having it set off under the Individual profile (that you still have to activate every time) there seems no way to permanently shut it off.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:34 AM
pietpara
Advanced

Thanks SillyGoose and K777!
That takes away a concern I had.
But from what I read on Wikipedia it means that Porsche does not have the Ackermann setup to prevent this problem.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:04 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by K777
Its called the Ackermann effect.
Made worse with wide tyres, and worse still in cold.
Its normal, don't worry about it.
AKA “acorning”.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:16 PM
K777
Racer

But from what I read on Wikipedia it means that Porsche does not have the Ackermann setup to prevent this problem.
It does, but (as I understand it) theres a balance between losing handling and slipping on slow tight turns, such as in an out of my drive.
So Porsche could probably get rid of any slippage, but then the geometry would suffer for handling at other speeds/turns etc. (due to the width of the tyres)
As an exaggerated example, if you had tyres on each side that are 3ft wide each, the outside edge couldn't possibly speed up so much as to match the slower speed of the inside edge - so the wider the tyre the more likely it is to the slipping
I first experienced it on a BMW 640d I had.

For sure some expert type will be able to explain it better than my layman terms.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:41 PM
pietpara
Advanced

Hi,
I want to share an experience about this Ackermann effect I noticed with my summer tyres this winter and posted about here.
After switching to winter tyres with new rims this effect completely vanished. No more clunk sound and feel at front wheels when turning sharply at slow speed or going through a small rain gutter in front of the entrance of my garage.
Now I switched back to my summer wheels and it is back, even though temperatures are now higher.

I now wonder if it's a problem with the rims more than the tyres and Ackermann effect, since this effect was not there at all with the winter set. It really feels like the wheels are loose.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-12-2019, 07:54 AM
K777
Racer

Hi,
I want to share an experience about this Ackermann effect I noticed with my summer tyres this winter and posted about here.
After switching to winter tyres with new rims this effect completely vanished. No more clunk sound and feel at front wheels when turning sharply at slow speed or going through a small rain gutter in front of the entrance of my garage.
Now I switched back to my summer wheels and it is back, even though temperatures are now higher.

I now wonder if it's a problem with the rims more than the tyres and Ackermann effect, since this effect was not there at all with the winter set. It really feels like the wheels are loose.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Because theres more grooves, and gaps in the rubber allowing the rubber sections to move easier and less distance to slip each rather than a large section of rubber slipping a longer distance causing a judder. Basically they are softer and more flexible.

Its also worse with more worn tyres as less sideways movement in the rubber that's left.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:10 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Hi,

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Are the rims the same size as the stock width 275 and 315? And are they 20 or 21?
Old 04-12-2019, 05:18 PM
pietpara
Advanced

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Are the rims the same size as the stock width 275 and 315? And are they 20 or 21?
The rims are the same, 21". And tyres too.
I could indeed understand that the winner tyres are softer and with more profile, but the difference is just staggering in that case. The sound is metallic clunk and you really feel it well.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:08 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

The rims are the same, 21". And tyres too.
I could indeed understand that the winner tyres are softer and with more profile, but the difference is just staggering in that case. The sound is metallic clunk and you really feel it well.
I get the clunk with my summer tires. I escaped winter without snow tires this year because I got my car at the end of the season, but I'll be able to compare come November...
Old 04-13-2019, 03:30 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm in Atlanta and have all seasons. I haven't had the clunk with them. I plan on changing to summers soon and if I do get the clunk it wouldn't surprise me given the fact that I had that clunk on my previous 970 panamera. The tires are wide. Hence the clunk when the wheel is at full lock and the tires are cold. This has been an issue from the very beginning of Panamera production.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017+ Common Issues