Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Used Panamera GTS vs Panamera Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 02:37 AM
Eclipser
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Used Panamera GTS vs Panamera Turbo?

So I'm looking at getting a Panamera as I'm planning on having kids soon but want a mix of performance and family friendly. Thing is I don't want to compromise performance too much, so I've been looking at used GTS and Turbo trims as they are in my price range.

This will be my first Porsche so I need some advice. I test drove a GTS and was blown away honestly, I had no idea it was so capable despite the curb weight (I'm a newcomer, what can I say). I was sold instantly on the car, the V8 is incredible and the features are fantastic.

While doing research I found a few great matches in California so I'm thinking of flying out to check them out. While I was initially sold on the 2015 GTS with about 15k miles, after some further searching at California dealerships I found two loaded 2014 Panamera Turbos with 24k and 30k miles (A Turbo and a Turbo executive respectively) near the same price as the lower mileage GTS trims. Assuming they are in great condition, what would you guys do in this situation?

The GTS's I saw ran around 80k as certified. The Turbo's I believe are in factory warranty and (To my knowledge) not certified for 78k. From a performance standpoint it seems like a no brainer but I don't want to make a mistake here as I can only go off research from the internet. I do know the Turbo's require a 30k service, so I'm keeping that in mind. Please let me know your thoughts. I'm excited to finally get my hands on one of these and join the club.

Thank you from a Porsche newcomer.

Last edited by Eclipser; 10-01-2017 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Updated title
Old 10-01-2017, 03:47 AM
jrjunior31
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the club (almost). I have a '15 GTS and it's the best car I've ever owned. Mine has 15k miles. I ordered an 18 4S though and it's due in late Dec. Most likely I will sell the GTS. I'm in the Pasadena area close to downtown LA. GTS original msrp was 131k it has the carmine GTS interior, and sport design rear fascia and side skirts. I'll try to post a pic or two for you below. If you have any interest in the car feel free to PM me.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:13 AM
jrjunior31
Advanced

Few more...
Old 10-01-2017, 11:12 AM
irv09
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The NA V8 on the GTS is awesome. I have not driven the last generation turbo, but I am currently driving an 18 turbo and the current Panamera is a better car than my GTS. I would go with the certified GTS
Old 10-01-2017, 06:58 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Can t go wrong with either as long as they have a warranty.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:01 PM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I had an Audi S5 which was a V8 non turbo. These cars fell victim to "carbon Buildup" and on an Audi S5 it was about $750 to clean and not covered under warranty (unless it resulted in cylinders misfiring and by that point, you would lose a lot of power waiting to get to that point).

I heard that other sports cars that do not have the turbos are also succeptable to carbon buld up. I am not sure if Porsche Panamera is one of those cars and maybe someone can chime in
Old 10-02-2017, 12:16 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Direct Injection engines is what I ve seen is the factor. See it on higher mileage cars usually.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Forgive my ignorance, but I believe the GTS V8 is Direct Injection?

Originally Posted by cerbomark
Direct Injection engines is what I ve seen is the factor. See it on higher mileage cars usually.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:47 PM
cerbomark
Racer

probably is... lots of modern engines are. My 2009 911 was too.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:56 AM
jkl
Track Day

I had a 2012 Panny Turbo, and it was the best sports sedan I have owned. The torque is intoxicating. I never drove the GTS, so I don't know how it compares. Good luck with your search.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:27 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 565 Posts

Owned and loved our 2015 Panamera GTS for about 18 months. Regret selling.

Best sounding car we’ve ever owned (including Lambo, GT3RS, AMG Mercedes...). The entire house rumbled when we started the car. LOVED the engine!!

Opted for the GTS over Turbo as hubby has very bad back and found the ride on 21” wheels to be a bit too harsh with the lower profile tires. Plus we both prefer NA motor over Turbo - but that’s a personal preference.

The 2015 body style was improved slightly over prior years. The rear “hump” was smoothed out and aesthetically it was a more pleasing line. Not as beautiful as the newest Panamera’s but improved over 2014 and older body styles (no offense to anyone - they are all great cars but I did appreciate when they made the design change in 2015)

Personally I’d choose the NA motor, but it depends how you drive and what you enjoy.

Good luck!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:19 PM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Having recently done the same back and forth you are currently doing, I finally opted for the GTS. I wanted more of the "driver" aspect to the car, and felt the GTS had that over the Turbo. That's just me though....as you'll get plenty of opinion the other way too. But all the aspects that make up the GTS just did it for me. I fully intend on taking it out for some track days as well. I have no regrets going the way I did, and could not be happier with the car. It's an absolute blast. Even just running some errands, the sound from the V8 and the feel of the car make me smile every time.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:42 AM
rajctt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2014 CTT and seriously considering a used PGTS for weekend fun. I have driven S, GTS and Turbo. GTS is just too amazing. I am waiting for a car with the right spec to show up - Red exterior, Alcantarra interior and PDCC. PDCC is the hardest to find, <2% cars have it based on autotrader search.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Just A GTS
Intermediate

I have a PGTS and love it. Bet I would like the turbo also but the alcantara interior did it for me with the GTS. Yes, the NA sound of the V8 is to die for especially with the sport exhaust.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:08 AM
jimshadow
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Recently bought a 2015 Panamera GTS (Silver/Black Alcantara) with 13,000 mi. and I LOVE this car. This is my 1st Porsche. HIGHLY recommend going the GTS route. The sound is intoxicating and the power is great. I've already put a ton of miles on it and she drives great on the highway and on twisty/turny roads!

Jim

Quick Reply: Used Panamera GTS vs Panamera Turbo?