Run flats or spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 10:19 AM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Run flats or spare tire?

Hi guys and gals,

I got to test drive the Panamera yesterday, and was quite impressed, especially with the updated technology. Since the car doesn’t come with a spare tire, that I know of, has anyone considered having a spare tire kit, or adding run flat tires? I have had run flats on a lot of cars in the past, and they allowed me to at least get to some place safe, and get the tire fixed later. Thanks
Old 09-24-2017, 11:12 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Run flats suck.

You have Porsche road side assistance. A can of tire sealant. And a compressor.

Buy a quality vulcanized tire plug kit, and become familiar how to use it in case of an emergency.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:17 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

one of these now ...wow
Old 09-24-2017, 06:31 PM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

The Macan has a space saver spare why not a Panamera? The car is so big and I'm sure they can make it fit if they wanted to.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:12 PM
Tunneller
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I think the people mentioning Road Side Assistance are ignoring the point that many dealers don't carry the Panamera sizes in inventory, so you are looking at a few days without a car. In my case, blowout was on last night (Wednesday) and I am not getting my car back until Tuesday. This is now the second time in 2 years that I've had trouble. Previous was in a remote part of Texas, a 4 hr drive to dealer, tow-truck wouldn't take my family with them, so we got a hotel booked for them, while I went with tow-truck to Dallas where I also got a hotel then a 2 day wait for tire

All for the sake of a little spare tire.... So for sure I know I want to buy something. Except I'm confused about the front and rear tires being different sized. Does that mean that I need *two* spare tires?
Old 06-21-2018, 12:21 PM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would always prefer a spare, as in our fleet we have experience of the sealant not working.
Unfortunately there's no where for it to go on the Hybrid, so I am stuck with sealant.
Its prob less of an issue where I am, I can see in USA it you could be a long way from anywhere.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:51 PM
Jguberman
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do people think run flats suck? I have now gotten 2 flats from potholes, and it just sucks..... I haven't bothered with using the sealant since AAA is already paid for, but it is a huge pain.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:40 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jguberman
Why do people think run flats suck? I have now gotten 2 flats from potholes, and it just sucks..... I haven't bothered with using the sealant since AAA is already paid for, but it is a huge pain.
In order for a Run Flat to run while flat, the sidewall of the tire has to be stiff enough to support the weight of the car.
This makes it have a harsher ride than a normal tire with a flexible side wall.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:41 PM
Kirkman
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally, I don't use run-flats. Had them on a new BMW and removed them ASAP. Run flats are heavier than standard which makes a measurable difference in power and gas mileage. Run flats cannot be repaired. If you are "on the road", you will not find readily available run flats.
The Porsche "spare tire" is an ancient design. It is made by Vredestein and is very heavy for a spare tire. Most mfgs now use a very lightweight spare. The Vredestein has a collapsible sidewall, which you must inflate to at least 36 psi (if I remember correctly). Then it is limited to 50 mph. Contrasted the light weight spare on my Hyundai Equus required 80 psi. It too was limited to 50 mph. Had occasion where I had to use the spare to drive 500 mi on a holiday weekend. It did well with no issues.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:27 AM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Tunneller

All for the sake of a little spare tire.... So for sure I know I want to buy something. Except I'm confused about the front and rear tires being different sized. Does that mean that I need *two* spare tires?
no, just the front. The front can fit to the rear, not the other way around, read your owners manual.

Originally Posted by Kirkman
The Porsche "spare tire" is an ancient design. It is made by Vredestein and is very heavy for a spare tire. Most mfgs now use a very lightweight spare. The Vredestein has a collapsible sidewall, which you must inflate to at least 36 psi (if I remember correctly). Then it is limited to 50 mph. Contrasted the light weight spare on my Hyundai Equus required 80 psi. It too was limited to 50 mph. Had occasion where I had to use the spare to drive 500 mi on a holiday weekend. It did well with no issues.
It need to be inflated to 50 psi, 36 psi can barely keep it in shape.

To keep a spare (full size or collapsable), one will also need the jack and crank (missing in our car). A spare tire kit from suncoast runs 1600 bucks. Below is my finding for alternative, good for the base and S, not for turbo / ehybrid.

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...ternative.html

Last edited by E39Nutz; 02-23-2021 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:15 PM
Kirkman
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I rode motorcycles for over 50 years, and never had a flat tire. I did worry about it, so I bought a simple "tire plug" kit, which might have been useful for roadside repair. I've never used it, but I do take it with me when traveling.

Flat tires from road hazzards, like horseshoe nails, are not common these days. I've had but one such flat tire in the last 30 years. It was a slow leak, which allowed me to fill up my tire and limp to a tire center.

I'm not concerned enough to seek a spare tire, but if I was I'd buy on eBay an oem front wheel and used tires to keep in my trunk. If I was traveling on the Alaskan Dalton Hwy I'd lash a wheel/tire to a roof rack.

My last episode was caused by a tire wearing through to the cords. I had lowered the car (Hyundai Equus), which caused the inside tread of the tires to wear excessively. Stupid me. I checked the rear tire tread before a fateful trip. Looked o.k. from the outside. Should have looked under the car.
The following users liked this post:
Fred2 (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 03:46 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

I had two flats in my old F07 BMW with run flats. Saved my bacon. One was about 20 miles from home on an interstate. The other around home. Drove home and to the shop without incident. Flying without a wire on the Panamera but doesn't seem to bother me.

Quick Reply: Run flats or spare tire?