Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

2017 Panamera Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 05:00 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why they didn't just cover the sharp edges in hard rubber/plastic...?!
Old 09-07-2017, 07:57 PM
XT6Wagon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish car makers would make wheel designs that don't stick out. With proper design + the rim protection that newer tire designs this wouldn't happen.

I've clipped a curb at speed with my GT350 and the rim protector on the Super Sports kept the wheel scrape free.

Edit: The reason they don't put stuff on the train cars is extra weight, cost, and it will be damaged with ease by heavy vehicles. You might be able to get around the wear issue if you make it super thick without the metal bars.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:53 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Question For AJ

Coming down the mountain with regeneration really is fun, all those other saps burning away their pads whilst the ehybrid is adding free kms. Smart.[/QUOTE]

AJ,
So with my gas only Lexus LS I downshifted when heading down steep hills to let the transmission slow the car rather than burning up my brakes. I'm wondering with the regenerative braking/charging, do you still downshift? If so, does downshifting further provide more/faster charging?
Old 09-12-2017, 09:25 AM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
So with my gas only Lexus LS I downshifted when heading down steep hills to let the transmission slow the car rather than burning up my brakes. I'm wondering with the regenerative braking/charging, do you still downshift? If so, does downshifting further provide more/faster charging?
if you downshift while the petrol engine is off then the petrol engine starts up again. the electric motor, even though you can feel the gearbox change gears when using it, doesn't seem to allow you to manipulate the gears when using it on it's own. so downshifting when going downhill will not give more charging but will simply turn on the petrol engine.

But, there are leds on the dash to show the amount of charging happening and when you press the brake pedal the amount of charging goes up. i am not sure at what point the actual brakes are applied when pressing the pedal or if a gentle press just increases the engine braking until the actual discs are required to be used. it's probably controlled in the software somewhere. if anyone finds out i'd be interested to know!
Old 09-12-2017, 09:59 AM
ajriches01
Racer

As Thor says - as soon as you are in manual mode then the petrol takes over.

I don't think there is much engine braking in the normal sense, my understanding is like a dynamo on a bike - pressure on the wheel = power. WAY too simplistic I'm sure!
Old 09-12-2017, 12:49 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

So if I understand correctly, when going down a steep hill, the best option is to leave the transmission alone and just press slightly on the brake pedal and then the car will get maximum recharging, correct? If I press harder on the brake pedal to actually slow the car down more, does that also increase the charging? If I just coast without touching the brake pedal, does it still charge"?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:52 PM
ajriches01
Racer

Exactly, there is a visual LED display showing the level of charging at any time. Unlike the Cayenne which I had as a loaner, the charging continues and increases under much harder braking.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:16 PM
thorfun
Racer

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Exactly, there is a visual LED display showing the level of charging at any time. Unlike the Cayenne which I had as a loaner, the charging continues and increases under much harder braking.
the scientist in me wants to know if you get more charge by hard braking in a short period of time rather than gentle braking over a distance. e.g. gentle braking for 200yds or slamming on the brakes for 20yds!
Old 09-12-2017, 01:22 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

I assume there is a maximum amount of charging that can take place at any given time? So if the LED indicator moves to "full charging" indication, then most likely that is all you can get??
Old 09-12-2017, 01:34 PM
thorfun
Racer

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
I assume there is a maximum amount of charging that can take place at any given time? So if the LED indicator moves to "full charging" indication, then most likely that is all you can get??
Yes, for sure. But will a short distance at maximum charging lead to more charge overall against a longer distance at a gentle charge?

Quick Reply: 2017 Panamera Road Trip