Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

What do you all think of the Innodrive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 01:19 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts
Default What do you all think of the Innodrive?

Has anyone got any experience with the Innodrive system on the 2017 Porsche Panamera?
Old 08-13-2017, 10:43 AM
Tmoose
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have it in my 2018. It's not on the 2017s in the states.

In the US it's cool but annoying. Nobody drives the speed limit and when it slows down it slows down somewhat quickly compared to what the other crazies are doing on the road.

Also I notice the ACC has stop/start in traffic while PID does not. Do others see that?

Anyhow it's cool and paves the way for the future.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:38 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tmoose
I have it in my 2018. It's not on the 2017s in the states.

In the US it's cool but annoying. Nobody drives the speed limit and when it slows down it slows down somewhat quickly compared to what the other crazies are doing on the road.

Also I notice the ACC has stop/start in traffic while PID does not. Do others see that?

Anyhow it's cool and paves the way for the future.
Interesting. Does it do a good job of steering? I have something similar on my wife's Mercedes but if tends to bounce the lines rather than keep car centered in lane.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:27 PM
Tmoose
Instructor

My Audi would just bounce around. This does do a great job at keeping you centered.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:02 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

My Audi would just bounce around. This does do a great job at keeping you centered.
That great. Does the steering feature work only below 37mph or also above that speed?
Old 08-14-2017, 05:53 AM
thorfun
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have PID on mine. i like it a lot and it works great for those times that i just want to cruise. it has issues and definitely not ready for autonomous driving yet but it's definitely a step in the right direction.
not sure on the comments about start/stop with PID as I have the hybrid so don't really have start/stop technology as when i slow down the electric engine takes over anyway.
can't comment about the steering above a certain speed as i don't remember taking my hands off the wheel above a slow crawl speed.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:01 AM
Tmoose
Instructor

Sorry. When I meant start/stop I meant traffic jam Assist. When the car comes to a complete stop in traffic. I notice it doesn't go again in its own in PID but it will in Acc.

PID does work at high speeds but only for like 20 seconds. Heb it makes you take over.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:05 AM
thorfun
Racer

Sorry. When I meant start/stop I meant traffic jam Assist. When the car comes to a complete stop in traffic. I notice it doesn't go again in its own in PID but it will in Acc.

PID does work at high speeds but only for like 20 seconds. Heb it makes you take over.
I'm surprised that ACC works like this. on my BMW with ACC if i was stationary for a short period in traffic i would have to gently press the accelerator to get ACC to start again. This is how it is with PID on the Panamera. i would've assumed that with ACC on the Panamera it would be the same too!
I'll have to test it next time i'm in traffic.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Tmoose
Instructor

Yup. In the two weeks I've had it I get the sense that

PID is for faster highway driving

ACC is more for traffic. It's basically fully automated below 37 mph as long as u stay below 37.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:39 AM
thorfun
Racer

Yup. In the two weeks I've had it I get the sense that

PID is for faster highway driving

ACC is more for traffic. It's basically fully automated below 37 mph as long as u stay below 37.
cool. thanks for that. i'll be flicking it to ACC in traffic from now on!
Old 08-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Tmoose
Instructor

Let me know what you think. I see that when you get below 37 mph the options will show PID and Acc + Sta

I assume sta means stopped traffic assist. Do you see that too?
Old 08-15-2017, 10:00 AM
thorfun
Racer

can't say I've looked at those speeds! I'm due to do a motorway drive this evening so if I get the chance I'll see what it says.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:02 PM
hme
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what's the verdict? Does anyone know if you come to a complete stop, do you have to press the accelerator to get the car moving again with ACC?
Old 08-16-2017, 11:30 AM
thorfun
Racer

Let me know what you think. I see that when you get below 37 mph the options will show PID and Acc + Sta

I assume sta means stopped traffic assist. Do you see that too?
I don't see that at all. I just get PID and ACC.

Originally Posted by hme
So what's the verdict? Does anyone know if you come to a complete stop, do you have to press the accelerator to get the car moving again with ACC?
for me, if the car stops for a short period of time in PID or ACC I have to press the accelerator in order for it to start again. this is what I'm used to in other cars with ACC.

I also found that it steers automatically in traffic whether I'm using PID or ACC.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:18 AM
thorfun
Racer

found out something interesting last night with PID....

once PID is running if you adjust the speed using the stalk up or down a certain number of miles an hour above/below the current speed it remembers that value. and then, when you move into (or even get near to a new speed limit so the PID display shows the new speed limit in blue) if you push up with the stalk it will put you that previously remembered value above/below the new speed limit.

e.g. if you're in a 40mph area and you've set the PID to be at 44mph (so, 4mph above the current speed limit) and you then move in to a 60mph limit area and push up on the stalk it will jump to 64mph.

This also works after you've cancelled PID for some reason. if you push up twice on the stalk, where once up would just set PID to the current speed limit, the twice up will set it to the remembered number above/below the current speed limit.

i thought this was a pretty nice feature and saves you having to up (or down) your speed with single pushes of the stalk everytime you enter a new speed limit.

I'm sure all of this is in the manual if i could just be bothered to read it!

Quick Reply: What do you all think of the Innodrive?