Panamera 2010-Current

2010 Pan 4s fuel pocket

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:36 AM
j0fer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Pan 4s fuel pocket

Hope I haven't missed a search result with this.
The fuel door hinge on my Panny needs to be replaced. From what I gathered so far, the whole fuel pocket has to be replaced to do this. Does anybody know what is involved with swapping that out?

Oddly, I've pulled engines, replaced suspensions, brakes, etc. on my BMW, but the thought of dropping gas tanks or anything out of this car makes me nervous.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:44 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I d be shocked if the tank has to come down. On other cars I ve seen this pocket (all the black plastic around the filler) comes out in one piece. With Porsche who knows, LOL. Advise us if you find out.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:48 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

look thru this and you ll see what I mean..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2626177...272&rmvSB=true
Old 12-19-2017, 05:18 PM
Big_Tex
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any follow up on this? Curious what the work involved is. Seems to be a common failure.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:52 PM
j0fer
Track Day

I never got a satisfactory resolution on this. Problem still exists.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:18 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

The hinge is part of an assembly with the plastic trim that goes around the actual filler neck where you insert the gas pump when you fuel up. In order to remove the old one it must be broken. If you look there are four little spots, one in each corner that need to be punctured and then the assembly can pulled up and out. Be very careful if you attempt this yourself it is very easy to scratch your paint. You'll also need to remove the locking pin for the flap from inside the rear luggage area before you pull the flap assembly up and out.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Big_Tex
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks PTEC,

That fits what I am seeing, thanks for the info. I'm assuming then that we are talking an adhesive that needs to be broken and then applied for installation? It looks like the painted cover is also "glued" on, no fasteners.

I have ordered a new pocket, I'll take some pictures as I go.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:57 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Big_Tex
Thanks PTEC,

That fits what I am seeing, thanks for the info. I'm assuming then that we are talking an adhesive that needs to be broken and then applied for installation? It looks like the painted cover is also "glued" on, no fasteners.

I have ordered a new pocket, I'll take some pictures as I go.
No adhesives are used what so ever. You punch holes in the plastic to give you self a place to pull the assembly up and out of the body. The painted door piece slides in and out of the assembly and locks in place with a plastic tab. When you have the new part in your hands this will all make more sense.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:02 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Anyone replace the fuel filler pocket without going inside the trunk area and removing the trim and then the locking pin actuator for the fuel filler pocket. I would like to just replace the fuel filler pocket with a new one without doing the preliminary locking pin disconnect inside the trunk.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:39 AM
Expat444
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
Anyone replace the fuel filler pocket without going inside the trunk area and removing the trim and then the locking pin actuator for the fuel filler pocket. I would like to just replace the fuel filler pocket with a new one without doing the preliminary locking pin disconnect inside the trunk.
I have the same problem,I was looking at the instructions and the car and I don't see how you'd get the fuel pocket part out without putting a lot of stress on the locking pin (if you can get it out at all) then how you fit the new one?
I think the only sensible way is to follow the instructions and remove then replace the locking pin which is why I'm still living with this too.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:29 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Well Expat, your advise may be good for someone who doesn't have any confidence in doing things anyway but the way you've outlined. You are scaring people with this problem for no reason. I brought my Panny to my Porsche body shop. Floppy fuel cover due to hinge area seemingly broken. 1st... They had no problem removing the fuel filler pocket without touching anything else just the pocket. 2nd ..... They removed it without damaging it. 3rd....They pushed the plastic pin that runs through the fuel door hinge until it snapped into place and 4th.....They replaced the pocket back in. Good as new $75. which included repainting the fuel door Porsche Metallic Dark Blue. Perfect match to the car. Just used the Vin number to match the correct Panamera color.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:47 PM
Expat444
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dartmouth

Well Expat, your advise may be good for someone who doesn't have any confidence in doing things anyway but the way you've outlined. You are scaring people with this problem for no reason. I brought my Panny to my Porsche body shop. Floppy fuel cover due to hinge area seemingly broken. 1st... They had no problem removing the fuel filler pocket without touching anything else just the pocket. 2nd ..... They removed it without damaging it. 3rd....They pushed the plastic pin that runs through the fuel door hinge until it snapped into place and 4th.....They replaced the pocket back in. Good as new $75. which included repainting the fuel door Porsche Metallic Dark Blue. Perfect match to the car. Just used the Vin number to match the correct Panamera color.
Congratulation but I think you're comparing two different scenarios:
1) The question was 'has anyone done this themselves without removing the locking pin mechanism?' that was why I answered how I did.
2) Taking it to a Porsche body shop is a completely different scenario, I'm glad they were able to fix it for you without removing the locking mechanism.
I'm puzzled as to why they had to repaint your fuel door though, why wasn't it matching your paint color already?
Old 05-13-2019, 02:48 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

It had a few scratches on it if I have to respond to your question. Simple, just release it from the pocket, paint it and reinstall it.
My man Juan at the Porsche body shop told me I could easily have done this myself without doing anything but removing the pocket. He said it was a 2 or 3 skill level for any at home DIY. I honestly think you should do it yourself and stop living with it. Once I saw the pocket removed and the plastic pin not pushed all the way through, I was a bit surprised it was that fundamental. No damage at all to the pocket by removing it and just push the pin in till it snaps in as locked in position, then reinstall the pocket. Even the filler lid was easily removed to paint and reinstalled. Go for it. :-)

Quick Reply: 2010 Pan 4s fuel pocket