Notices

Sport Auto - C7 Z06 (Manual) - 7:13.9 @ Ring

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 07:39 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Not sure it's the same issue with the 991.2 Carrera and 718s.

The problem with the low end torque of the C7 Z06 is the chassis, which simply can't handle that amount of power.

I don't the same issue exists with the Porsches, which are set up better.
Porsche's (specifically 911s) have the distinct advantage of the engine (mass) sitting above the driven wheels something the likes of Corvette does not have. Porsches fairly or unfairly have this benefit compared to all its competitors save for those mid-engine types from the standpoint of traction off the gate.

The Corvette is a Front Engine / RWD car therefore gobs of power cannot be physically managed without the additional benefit of PTM and Ediff. That being said, you can take the roof off and also haul all your items from Costco in the trunk. Effective all arounder if you ask me where as the GT cars are more a 1 trick pony (for all the right reasons).

So despite its Front Engine / RWD set up + 650 HP / TQ, these blistering times associated to its handling / chassis prowess is something to celebrate considering its price of entry and overall usability.

Concerns as far as handling its power have been met with effect from folks like Mike Levitas / TPC Racing with the DSC tune. This serves to essentially put most if not all of the power to the ground by massaging the Mag Ride using algorithms/velocity tables. This is a huge mod with members on CF Forum with testimonials of DSC hooking up the car no matter how its loaded.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:45 PM
turbo8765
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

There are many reasons the rear engine configuration is so rarely used by auto manufacturers. It is not optimal. This is why the current 911 RSR competing in the Weathertech series is now mid engined.

Rear, front, front mid, or true mid engine location... without massive downforce there is no configuration that will allow use of 650 ft-lbs on a street legal tire.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:48 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 200 Posts

Not sure it's the same issue with the 991.2 Carrera and 718s.

The problem with the low end torque of the C7 Z06 is the chassis, which simply can't handle that amount of power.

I don't the same issue exists with the Porsches, which are set up better.
What exactly do you mean when you state that the Z06 chassis "can't handle that amount of power"?

When the alignment is set correctly you can hammer down on the throttle and the car will stay straight. Will it spin up the rear tyres unless you leave TC active? Of course it will as it has 650hp and 650 lb ft torque. Show me one rear wheel driven vehicle that can 'handle' that much power from a stand still without breaking loose the driven wheels; there are none. But you can fully exploit the power of the car on a road course as long as you know what you're doing. The chassis in fact is one of the greatest aspects of the car.

Bish
Old 07-14-2017, 07:54 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo8765
No.

The AMG tire is specific to the AMG. Apparently it's sticky enough to require tire warmers!
The Michelin nomenclature is getting annoying.

So does anyone know how the ones used on the Vette stack up? Are they the sticky ones, the super sticky ones, the ones that you can rotate because they're so sticky, or........?
Old 07-14-2017, 11:23 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
What exactly do you mean when you state that the Z06 chassis "can't handle that amount of power"?

When the alignment is set correctly you can hammer down on the throttle and the car will stay straight. Will it spin up the rear tyres unless you leave TC active? Of course it will as it has 650hp and 650 lb ft torque. Show me one rear wheel driven vehicle that can 'handle' that much power from a stand still without breaking loose the driven wheels; there are none. But you can fully exploit the power of the car on a road course as long as you know what you're doing. The chassis in fact is one of the greatest aspects of the car.

Bish
Going straight is one thing, but putting that kind of power while rotating the car and you'll more than likely spin.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:28 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Going straight is one thing, but putting that kind of power while rotating the car and you'll more than likely spin.
Exactly,

Both of my friends with a Z06 and several auto journalists all have experienced/commented on this same issue.

The Z06 chassis cannot consistently put the power to the ground, particularly in corners in contrast to the Corvette grand sport which has a very similar chassis to the Z06, but less power, and the grand sport is far more planted and stable on the track or winding roads than the Z06. The conclusion is that the Z06 has too much power for the chassis.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:36 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Apologies - double up

Last edited by randr; 07-15-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:08 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Interesting! I guess that explains why some have lost affection for the new turbocharged 911 Carrera and Boxster/Cayman as well...
Odd comment - I'm pretty sure you will find the vast majority of owners are over the moon with the performance of the 991.2 (3l tt) and more importantly the delivery of that performance. Its the NA owners that are incessantly cheesed off. Their carping is never ending.

Moreover, and on top of that I think you'll find a fair few jaded GT3 owners, particularly if they have the E or F engine. I really hope the meeting with PCNA goes well and Porsche step up to the plate. However, I doubt they will and they will simply hose the guys down.

Fundamentally Porsche has a problem - the grocery getters e.g. 991.2 base, S and GTS deliver very high levels of performance - across all metrics and are very liveable on top of that (this particularly applies to the S and GTS - add Corsas or Trofeo Rs - job done).

Furthermore, other manufacturers have really stepped up e.g. GM and MB AMG - a Camaro or Vette, as fast or faster round the "Ring" than a GT3......a few years ago this would have been unthinkable.

So how will Porsche market the new GT3? I can see Porsche marketing now ..... the new GT3......"its lighter" ."its not about ring times"..AP will speak to Henry Catchpole about feel, sound engineering, manual gear boxes.......as if no one else gets this.

Again, well done to GM, bring on the C8 with a 43/57 weight distribution - game changer.

Last edited by randr; 07-15-2017 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:23 AM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

presume the car still over heats or has GM solved it? can the new car run lap after lap in 96f temps?
Old 07-15-2017, 03:37 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Nice to see a reference lap finally for the Z06. I have the Grand Sport and would agree that the handling is extraordinary, bumps just seem to never ever unsettle the car at speed. My biggest issue in 3 months of ownership is the low end torque- too much of it! I know that sounds stupid, but the extra torque just takes some of the fun away of revving it out with the manual. Of course you're going like stink, but it's somehow not as exciting as revving a lower torque motor to high rpm. Other than that is a really nice sports car, great cruising where it is much quieter and refined than the GT3.

Attachment 1185819

Perfect, that's exactly what i'm looking for. A refined sporty daily driver with some low-end torque. Beautiful car!
Old 07-15-2017, 03:53 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Nice to see a reference lap finally for the Z06. I have the Grand Sport and would agree that the handling is extraordinary, bumps just seem to never ever unsettle the car at speed. My biggest issue in 3 months of ownership is the low end torque- too much of it! I know that sounds stupid, but the extra torque just takes some of the fun away of revving it out with the manual. Of course you're going like stink, but it's somehow not as exciting as revving a lower torque motor to high rpm. Other than that is a really nice sports car, great cruising where it is much quieter and refined than the GT3.
Originally Posted by GrantG
Interesting! I guess that explains why some have lost affection for the new turbocharged 911 Carrera and Boxster/Cayman as well...
Originally Posted by Drifting
Exactly,

Both of my friends with a Z06 and several auto journalists all have experienced/commented on this same issue.

The Z06 chassis cannot consistently put the power to the ground, particularly in corners in contrast to the Corvette grand sport which has a very similar chassis to the Z06, but less power, and the grand sport is far more planted and stable on the track or winding roads than the Z06. The conclusion is that the Z06 has too much power for the chassis.
Originally Posted by Para82
Perfect, that's exactly what i'm looking for. A refined sporty daily driver with some low-end torque. Beautiful car!
OK, not to go too far off topic, but to clarify, I have a Grand Sport and it can handle every bit of the naturally aspirated V8 torque it has in stock configuration. In fact, to make my point very clear, the torque is so good that you can hustle the car without needing high rpm's, it just scoots along on a wave of torque. Now that is good for fast lap times and fast driving (less shifting), but not as much fun as trying to keep the revs up in something that needs high rpm's to go fast.

I hope that clarifies things!
Old 07-15-2017, 09:06 AM
turbo8765
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman

Bish
This is accurate. The chassis is the best aspect of the car. It put's the power down suprisingly well.

GM seems to have a poor grasp on social media and to a lesser extent the automotive press. They gave Randy a car with a bad alighment, that created a lot of negative press. It's similar to a political campaign, you have to stay in front of these things. Especially a non-aspirational realtively lower priced manufacturer competing with more expensive brands.

A Michelin rep indicated the Z06 compound and the Cup 2 GT3 .1 compound are they same. I cannot verify the accuracy of this statement.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:44 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo8765
No.

The AMG tire is specific to the AMG. Apparently it's sticky enough to require tire warmers!
The AMG GTR uses the Corvette developed Cup2. Look closely at the magazine pics and notice the sizes. You can see the TPC Spec called out on the side of the tire.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:00 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Drifting
Exactly,

I'm sorry, but you and your friends are wrong. The C7 Z06 chassis when set up correctly is eminently 'tossable', and easy to put the 'power down' when exiting a corner. The number of times that I've received a late wave bye going hot into a corner is unbelievable, (and I think deliberate) in my car and you know what? The damn 'chassis' just doesn't care where I am entering a corner; it just hugs the line I'm on; allows the necessary correction and then allows me to rocket out of the other side. It's the best balanced car I've ever driven on track.

One last thing with 'putting down the power' exiting a corner. When in Race mode, the PTM (Performance Traction Management) is incredibly sophisticated. The car in fact will allow the driver to floor the throttle at the apex and will modulate the throttle opening until the car is heading straight. It's not something that's intuitive and takes faith in the electronics to feel comfortable doing so, but it sure is a quick way around a course.

The above of course is regarding the handling dynamics of a Z06 on a typical road course where the Z06 will always be faster than a Grand Sport. On a regular highway where the surface is much narrower and with the issues of on-coming traffic to worry about etc., the GS has more than enough power, and the Z06 has an excess at times.

Anyway enough from me; I would just suggest you take a ride with an owner in a well set up car that knows what they're doing.

Bish
Old 07-15-2017, 01:03 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2BWise
The AMG GTR uses the Corvette developed Cup2. Look closely at the magazine pics and notice the sizes. You can see the TPC Spec called out on the side of the tire.
You're correct: it's a MPSC2 ZP. Called the R03 option in the ordering guide for the AMG GT R which is the standard tyre. There is an 'upgrade' even 'stickier' tyre for the car that was iirc the tyre used during its 'Ring time, but I'm not sure you can request that tyre as an upgrade here in the US. At least I can't see it in the US DOG.

Bish

Quick Reply: Sport Auto - C7 Z06 (Manual) - 7:13.9 @ Ring