Notices

What do you think of the 2018 Camero ZL1 1LE

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 03:09 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Well finally Motor Trend did a full Ignition video about the car.

I believe you need to be a member of their website to see the video but here is a link for it.

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/d...e-/0_bav4ux2r/

It ran a 1:34.30 at Laguna Seca which was faster then the McLaren 570S which ran a 1:34.58 which was both driven by Randy Pobst.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:54 PM
RC000E
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The ZL1 1LE is a beast. No overheat issues that anyone is finding. Only thing I've heard is you can start running low on brakes after a few laps, but nothing some pads or even an AP racing front kit couldn't solve. I hate how much I am lusting over this damn Camaro.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Same brakes as on Corvette?
Old 07-28-2017, 12:16 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,777 Likes on 4,773 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Same brakes as on Corvette?
Yes, same Brembos as you'll find on the C7 Grand Sport (non Z07 pkg).
Old 07-28-2017, 10:56 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
The ZL1 1LE is a beast. No overheat issues that anyone is finding. Only thing I've heard is you can start running low on brakes after a few laps, but nothing some pads or even an AP racing front kit couldn't solve. I hate how much I am lusting over this damn Camaro.
I've also read that it will just keep running tank after tank without any overheating issues.

I'm wondering if the brake issue is being caused by the crappy OEM brake fluid, or whether it's 'boiling' high quality aftermarket fluid?

The iron brakes on the Z06 are excellent for most drivers as long as you have SRF etc installed, but track worthy pads make a big difference in lack of fade.

Of course the ZL1 1LE is about 400 lbs heavier than a Z06, so without a doubt $8,000 spent on a set of AP Racing brakes will correct this weak link.

Really wish this car had been certified with the new A10 transmission also.

Bish
Old 07-28-2017, 02:03 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
I've also read that it will just keep running tank after tank without any overheating issues.

I'm wondering if the brake issue is being caused by the crappy OEM brake fluid, or whether it's 'boiling' high quality aftermarket fluid?

The iron brakes on the Z06 are excellent for most drivers as long as you have SRF etc installed, but track worthy pads make a big difference in lack of fade.

Of course the ZL1 1LE is about 400 lbs heavier than a Z06, so without a doubt $8,000 spent on a set of AP Racing brakes will correct this weak link.

Really wish this car had been certified with the new A10 transmission also.

Bish

According to Camaro engineer the ZL1 1LE package was done strictly for drivers not Cars and Coffee crowd. No posers need to apply.

Peter
Old 07-29-2017, 12:39 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 85Gold
According to Camaro engineer the ZL1 1LE package was done strictly for drivers not Cars and Coffee crowd. No posers need to apply.

Peter

What the hell is that supposed to mean? I track my cars and have been doing so since '94. As I've gotten older I've developed a bad knee; hence my preference for some kind of 'Auto' transmission in my 'track' vehicle.

The A10 was designed for track purposes as well and will be seen soon in the ZR1.

Bish
Old 07-30-2017, 11:21 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
What the hell is that supposed to mean? I track my cars and have been doing so since '94. As I've gotten older I've developed a bad knee; hence my preference for some kind of 'Auto' transmission in my 'track' vehicle.

The A10 was designed for track purposes as well and will be seen soon in the ZR1.

Bish
It means exactly what it says. The Camaro team decided they weren't going to offer the A10 and that was the reasoning. Just like Ford no auto in GT350, GT4 no PDK, and it doesn't seem to be hurting their sales.

Peter
Old 07-30-2017, 12:33 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 85Gold
It means exactly what it says. The Camaro team decided they weren't going to offer the A10 and that was the reasoning. Just like Ford no auto in GT350, GT4 no PDK, and it doesn't seem to be hurting their sales.

Peter
So everyone driving an automated manual, or true TQ transmission on track is a 'poser'; is that what you're obviously implying?

If so; its a completely ignorant statement.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:41 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

^^no, manuals add another level of complication and skill, making it more of an "art", you are a still a great shooter if you use a scope, but some like iron sights, thats all
Old 08-11-2017, 01:04 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

There are many good reasons to get an Automatic over a MT one being the warranty part of it.

Transmissions are covered under the powertrain warranty, but clutches are not.

More then likely this is the real reason why GM did not offer Auto as an option because they did not want to be paying for a bunch of transmissions on cars they know are going to be tracked.

And another good reason is they are just plain faster on the track!
Old 09-19-2017, 01:48 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Well I finally get a text yesterday on Monday morning the 18th from my sale guy that the car finally arrived.

Was actually sitting at the plant for a month before they decided to ship it , not sure if the hurricanes had anything to do with that but better late then never i guess.

After arriving at the dealer I was told the car was still getting PDI so i snuck in the back to take a peak.

My first impression was "Dam look at that back end" as I saw the 4 tail pipes, the back wing, and the fat a$$ tires.

As I started to walk around to the front where the hood was open, I was really liking what I saw and when i got to the front and saw the the spliters, conards, and the mean grill that looks like it wants to take a bite out of you, I knew pretty much then I was taking this car home.

Took the car out for a lite test drive since it only had 3 miles on it and want to do a proper breakin on the car but was really impressed on how easy it was to drive, how nicely the rev-match worked, did not notice an issue with head room, and was very surprised on how well the visibility is when actually driving.

The car is loaded with goodies, Heated & AC seats, Data Recorder, Heated Steering Wheel, Apple Play, Android Auto, Mylink Chevy App where I can lock and locate the car with an app, Colored LED lights that change color depending on what mode you are in (Tour, Sport, Track, Snow), Rev Match, Onstar, and much more.

There is an AX coming up this Sunday that I am already registered for and thinking of giving my RS a break and taking this out there instead, just need to add the recommended 500 miles for break in which should not be to hard, but also want to get a clear bra for the front and other certain areas that seem more vulnerable to getting hit.

Here are some pics of the exterior:

Old 09-24-2017, 03:03 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by GT345
Well I finally get a text yesterday on Monday morning the 18th from my sale guy that the car finally arrived.

Was actually sitting at the plant for a month before they decided to ship it , not sure if the hurricanes had anything to do with that but better late then never i guess.

After arriving at the dealer I was told the car was still getting PDI so i snuck in the back to take a peak.

My first impression was "Dam look at that back end" as I saw the 4 tail pipes, the back wing, and the fat a$$ tires.

As I started to walk around to the front where the hood was open, I was really liking what I saw and when i got to the front and saw the the spliters, conards, and the mean grill that looks like it wants to take a bite out of you, I knew pretty much then I was taking this car home.

Took the car out for a lite test drive since it only had 3 miles on it and want to do a proper breakin on the car but was really impressed on how easy it was to drive, how nicely the rev-match worked, did not notice an issue with head room, and was very surprised on how well the visibility is when actually driving.

The car is loaded with goodies, Heated & AC seats, Data Recorder, Heated Steering Wheel, Apple Play, Android Auto, Mylink Chevy App where I can lock and locate the car with an app, Colored LED lights that change color depending on what mode you are in (Tour, Sport, Track, Snow), Rev Match, Onstar, and much more.

There is an AX coming up this Sunday that I am already registered for and thinking of giving my RS a break and taking this out there instead, just need to add the recommended 500 miles for break in which should not be to hard, but also want to get a clear bra for the front and other certain areas that seem more vulnerable to getting hit.

Here are some pics of the exterior:
That thing looks bad a$$ mean. Let us know how you like driving it.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:15 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Great looking car, GT345. Congrats!!!
Old 09-25-2017, 12:39 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Thank you thank you... still breaking it in but I do enjoy the car so far.

I think the best part is the sound, just love the roar of that engine and that distinct sound from the SC.

Really blown away with all the options too, just downloaded Android Auto so now I have certain apps i can control from the main display, and can even use Waze on it.

Getting a clear bra put on it next week, then decide where I want to take it, but it might be a little while before I go to a track with it since I am already signed up for Big Willow this month, and Chuckwalla next month with the GT3RS.

Rough life

Quick Reply: What do you think of the 2018 Camero ZL1 1LE