Notices

What do you think of the 2018 Camero ZL1 1LE

Old 05-14-2017, 11:53 AM
richk
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

I just bought one...yesterday! I daily drive a TTS.

Put 200 miles on ZL1 yesterday...very very fast! Stupid fast...

Too heavy but its a hoot and I will drive too work a couple of days a week.

For the price its tough too beat! Very happy and impressed with GM for building this beast.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:20 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMD
I love and own Porsche but kudos to not only Chevy but also to the other American car makers for the products they are putting out.

Dodge Demon fastest ( 0-60 & 1/4 mile car) street legal, Hellcat, Shelby, Ford GT ZO6 etc. Those are some really really good performing cars especially for the money. Interiors not all that great but fit and finish getting better.

Also those that follow IMSA american insurance race series including the continental race series American cars including Ford GT, Mustang & Corvette have been doing extremely well; intact leading in manufactures points.
This!!!! It's a great time to be a car guy. No more having to spend $$$$$ to get it track ready. Just add brand fluid and even the stock brake pads are up to track duty, though they don't last long.

I loved my 6GT3's but the buy in is more than I am comfortable spending on a street/track car. So it's nice to have other turn key options.

Peter
Old 05-14-2017, 12:33 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
This!!!! It's a great time to be a car guy. No more having to spend $$$$$ to get it track ready. Just add brand fluid and even the stock brake pads are up to track duty, though they don't last long.

I loved my 6GT3's but the buy in is more than I am comfortable spending on a street/track car. So it's nice to have other turn key options.

Peter
So true^^^^

Changed brake fluid and beat on the gt350 all day yesterday in Florida heat. Wife drove in novice group so obviously not a lot of wear during those sessions. But, still out there running all day in 90deg heat.
It's amazing how much these American cars have improved.
If I could only have one car in that $60k range it would be a gt350. Good enough on track and a pleasure to DD. Would be nice with a bigger fuel tank.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:31 PM
richk
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

here is a pic
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2017, 02:51 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
here is a pic
Awesome car! Glad you're enjoying the beast. Did you get the six speed or A10?
Old 05-14-2017, 02:56 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

After owning many mustangs and camaros during my youth i eventually stepped into a 911 and havnt looked back. One drive and i was hooked.
My Porsche also held up longer then my Ford or GM products.

thant being said, I really like what the mustang and camaro are doing these days and i appreciate the history as i still own a 69 camaro and 67 mustang as my iconic favorites. Had I never driven a porsche 911, i might still be buying camaros and mustangs.

No doubt the latest offerings from GM and Ford make great alternatives and given the price point they give the buyer great performance for the money which is what they are all about. They are really fun cars.

If you are a sucker for nostalgia or big performance for dollar value, these american offerings are the cars for you.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:47 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Awesome car! Glad you're enjoying the beast. Did you get the six speed or A10?
The 1LE only comes in 6 speed manual.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:50 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by richk
here is a pic
Put a better pic!

Looks nice in black, I ordered the Summit White though.

Was going to order the dark grey color, but then after looking at the lot of there Camaro's, they had about 20 of them and 18 were dark gray so I switched to White

Thought the 2 tone would look nice.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:55 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wooly1
I am in a similar fortunate position to the OP. I own a 991'Gt3 and love the car and love it at the track when I take it there. However, I also had the same desire to have something less expensive that I would feel better about beating on, on a more regular basis. I decided on the GT350R. I think it's much better looking than the Camaro (I liked the last generation Z/28 very much, but this one not so much) and the naturally aspirated flat plane crank in the Shelby is a hands down winner. While I know for brute speed of the supercharged Camaro V8 has more raw power, it doesn't hold a candle to the Shelby for feel, sound, and linear acceleration.
You made a comment about the GT350 and ZL1 not being able to pull away in the straights. That's pure physics, the American cars are pulling an additional 650+ pounds around the track. Weight is weight. That's another reason why I chose the GT350R as it sheds about 150 lbs and the unsprung weight of the carbon fiber wheels make it accelerate like a slightly lighter car still.
Lastly, the GT350R is a more collectible car and should hold its value better if you can buy it at the right price. California dealers are a rip off and are asking up to 50k over MSRP and actually selling them in the range of 25k over. Don't do it. Look around the he country for one. It took me a couple months but I found what I wanted in the southeast and will pay 8k over MSRP. I hate paying over but it's a great price for this car and as they are only making 500 a year of the R, I believe it will hold its value.
All that said, I am not selling the GT3 unless it is to replace it with the .2, and yes, I know I am very lucky to own both.
I believe you know Mike Avitt, he also owns a GT350.

He took his to the track and on the first day it was over heating so his track day was cut short.

They had to replace some belts if i understood him correctly.

I also like the GT350, not a big fan of the inside though, and would never pay over MSRP on an american car, just not going to happen and you won't get that money back.

If you buy cars hoping they become collectible, you are buying them for the wrong reasons especially if you plan on tracking it.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:09 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GT345
The 1LE only comes in 6 speed manual.
i know. Rich has a ZL1, not a 1LE.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:16 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quikag
i know. Rich has a ZL1, not a 1LE.
Oh i thought I saw a ZL1 badge in the front fascia, to small a pic to really see.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:57 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GT345
I believe you know Mike Avitt, he also owns a GT350.

He took his to the track and on the first day it was over heating so his track day was cut short.

They had to replace some belts if i understood him correctly.

I also like the GT350, not a big fan of the inside though, and would never pay over MSRP on an american car, just not going to happen and you won't get that money back.

If you buy cars hoping they become collectible, you are buying them for the wrong reasons especially if you plan on tracking it.
This Is what the law suit is about. Those that bought tech pack overheat on track.
I believe all gt350 now have the track package upgrades.
So something to watch out for if you are thinking about buying a used gt350.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:18 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMD
I love and own Porsche but kudos to not only Chevy but also to the other American car makers for the products they are putting out.

Dodge Demon fastest ( 0-60 & 1/4 mile car) street legal, Hellcat, Shelby, Ford GT ZO6 etc. Those are some really really good performing cars especially for the money. Interiors not all that great but fit and finish getting better.

Also those that follow IMSA american insurance race series including the continental race series American cars including Ford GT, Mustang & Corvette have been doing extremely well; intact leading in manufactures points.
Agree 100%, really proud of the American sports cars from just about all the major brands. Very unique and competitive cars to choose from, these are great times.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Wooly1
I am in a similar fortunate position to the OP. I own a 991'Gt3 and love the car and love it at the track when I take it there. However, I also had the same desire to have something less expensive that I would feel better about beating on, on a more regular basis. I decided on the GT350R. I think it's much better looking than the Camaro (I liked the last generation Z/28 very much, but this one not so much) and the naturally aspirated flat plane crank in the Shelby is a hands down winner. While I know for brute speed of the supercharged Camaro V8 has more raw power, it doesn't hold a candle to the Shelby for feel, sound, and linear acceleration.
You made a comment about the GT350 and ZL1 not being able to pull away in the straights. That's pure physics, the American cars are pulling an additional 650+ pounds around the track. Weight is weight. That's another reason why I chose the GT350R as it sheds about 150 lbs and the unsprung weight of the carbon fiber wheels make it accelerate like a slightly lighter car still.
Lastly, the GT350R is a more collectible car and should hold its value better if you can buy it at the right price. California dealers are a rip off and are asking up to 50k over MSRP and actually selling them in the range of 25k over. Don't do it. Look around the he country for one. It took me a couple months but I found what I wanted in the southeast and will pay 8k over MSRP. I hate paying over but it's a great price for this car and as they are only making 500 a year of the R, I believe it will hold its value.
All that said, I am not selling the GT3 unless it is to replace it with the .2, and yes, I know I am very lucky to own both.
8k over - you did better than most, definitely post some pictures in the GT350 thread when you take delivery congrats on your purchase!
Old 05-14-2017, 06:35 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Another nice thing about the Camaro over the Mustang... You can lease it where I believe you can not lease the Mustang, at least that is what the Ford dealer told me a while ago when I went to look at one.

The nice part about a lease is if I find I don't like the car, i can sell it and not lose all the sales tax on the car because in California we don't get any car credit, and on a lease you only pay tax on the actual payment, not to mention better write offs with a lease over a finance or just straight purchase.

Another thing too with the ZL1 SC, with a pulley change the car will be so much faster that it will blow by anything on the straights.

I have see similar cars at the drag strip doing 9s with just a simple pulley swap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you think of the 2018 Camero ZL1 1LE