1998 Chevrolet Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Poppit1956
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Chevrolet Tracker

Hi Guys,
I have a 1998 Chevrolet Tracker with the 1.6 SOHC, and recently replaced head gasket, plugs, plug wires. It's been several months since replacing all this and suddenly, the engine starts to skip/sputter at 3000 rpm. or around 45 mph.
Any ideas as to what the problem may be. Also, I have to continually add water to the radiator approx. every 2 weeks but there is no sign of a leak and no sign of it coming out the tail pipe.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:49 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

This is a Porsche forum​, what's the deal lately with all the non-porsche posts??

Anyway, my guess is something didn't seal right on your head gasket job. I have a Suburban that does the same thing. In fact just 5 mins ago I checked and the overflow is empty again. While I do have a weeping leak from the front of the intake, it never ever hits the ground. That's not enough of a leak to explain my loss.

I promise you, if it's just disappearing, it's getting past the gaskets into the combustion chambers. It's just such a small amount your not getting "smoke (steam)". It is coming out your tailpipe, just not in ways you can normally see. I bet if you let it idle for 10 mins you'd have a small puddle under your tailpipe, that would evaporate quickly.

If you don't feel like doing the job again, then just keep filling with coolant and keep a close eye on your oil. Once you get coolant in there, you'll have problems. I'm not sure on the tracker, but in the 350 you can get coolant into the engine through the intake, doesn't have to be from the head gasket.

If you didn't do the plugs when you did the work, you could pull the plugs and check for a steam cleaned one. If one is super shiny then you've got a HG leak. Otherwise it's possible it's the intake. It's not uncommon on GMs.

It's also possible to leak coolant from the intake onto the exhaust, in that case you would also never see it on the ground. But you can smell it! Nothing like the smell of burning antifreeze.

Your other issue??? No idea, don't even know what engine the trackers used. If it's not a 350, I know much more about Porsche engines. We'll, 944 engines at least.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:56 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

It is unlikely that the OP put this on the forum.

There are several "robots" that create posts to multiple "forums" and then scrape the responses back to wherever the OP initially entered his questions. These systems do this to collect "click through" revenue.

Perhaps the moderator could be more attentive and delete these postings; otherwise we should just ignore.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Poppit1956
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks 951 Dreams, and not sure why this site posted it in the Porsche page, not my doings.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:07 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Which site did you originally post this too, that it somehow ended up here? It's been happening recently, I think the mods need to contact this external site and request that they stop.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:31 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppit1956
Thanks 951 Dreams, and not sure why this site posted it in the Porsche page, not my doings.
I wasn't getting onto you, I was really trying to figure out how these are getting here. We've been seeing it a lot lately. Best of luck to you!

If it's a bot, wonder how it is creating user names for them? I'm guessing it's also subscribing them because he was able to get notified and respond. So weird.

Quick Reply: 1998 Chevrolet Tracker