Notices

Question For Ranger Rover Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Question For Ranger Rover Owners

It appears there are quite a number of Porsche 911 owners that also have Range Rovers. My wife has decided she wants a new Ranger Rover Sport HSE tdi. It's a terrific driver, but what's been your experience on reliability? I know in the past they had a poor reputation, in fact could be a nightmare to own. What's the story on the newer models?
Thanks in advance...
Old 01-16-2017, 06:56 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

I've owned a 2004 and currently own a 2013 Range Rover HSE, both V8's. Great and solid vehicles both. The older ones although really cool had more than a few issues, BMW sorted most of those when they operated Land Rover back in 2003. They are fairly bulletproof now.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:03 PM
arch7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife has a 2011 RR Sport Supercharged. Its been great aside from getting hit too often. My biggest issues are not the car, but the dealers around us. They are terrible! Porsche is amazing, LR is horrible. Only other comment is that they, like many SUVs, eat tires and brakes. On the supercharged model, brake pads are very expensive, highest I have ever seen. She has 60K miles and no engine issues. Some suspension things under warranty, but otherwise pretty good.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:04 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Terrible mileage, $$$ service and still dodgy reliability. Unless you need the RR label just get the American version that is reliable and you can get it with a diesel. Grand Cherokee.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:20 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmorritt
Terrible mileage, $$$ service and still dodgy reliability. Unless you need the RR label just get the American version that is reliable and you can get it with a diesel. Grand Cherokee.
Pmorritt I respectfully disagree. The fuel milage is actually pretty comparable to any AmericanV8(unless you get the supercharged 510 hp Rover) and reliability is good, although I do agree the service is expensive at LR dealerships. Where the Range Rover excels is its off road capability(even though most of us will never even take them off road) and its interior is considerably nicer with a quieter ride than any American SUV.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:46 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

I have a year old Range Rover Supercharged and love it, its my first one. I live in DC and have 4 other P-Cars and can I tell you my Land Rover service department is amazing, I mean I've tried 4 porsche dealers in the area and finally settled on the best one which still isn't as good as my Land Rover dealer.

I don't think they are any less reliable that P-Cars, the compressor that raises and lowers the car went on my Range Rover, but so many other things have gone on my Macan.

All cars these days are SO complicated with so many parts that something is going to go wrong..i wouldn't worry about it.

I got a loaner RR Sport the other day and its ok but I think the RR HSE is a much better car. Its much much smoother unless you are after a stiffer suspension.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2015 RR full size as well. It's beautiful Blue with Saddle interior , massage heated seats , etc. Enjoy the ride and gas consumption is much better than my prior RR. As far as reliability just scheduled maintenance. The brand has come along way with reliability especially electrical . It is an amazing vehicle. Would have liked more touch screen advancements.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:12 PM
GT3 Jockey
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife drives a RR Autobiography LWB. She loves it. It's an amazing SUV. It gets the job done. The service is expensive but they do a good job. Fuel economy is actually not bad for a big truck with a supercharged 5.0 L V8. The only thing we don't like is the sat nav. It's very slow and moody. But they are definitely improving that on the new ones. I've actually ordered a RR Sport SVR for myself that should be here any day. You can not go wrong with RR.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:26 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 2015 RR full size HSE. The mileage is good and way better than my prior RR. The car is aluminum and has a nice ride. Love the body style and have blue with Saddle interior. As far as reliability just regular maintenance. Prior older models concerns were electrical. I wish my model had more advanced technology. Enjoy the heated and masssge function lol.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:59 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

there is a massage function??

Originally Posted by Joenyc
I own a 2015 RR full size HSE. The mileage is good and way better than my prior RR. The car is aluminum and has a nice ride. Love the body style and have blue with Saddle interior. As far as reliability just regular maintenance. Prior older models concerns were electrical. I wish my model had more advanced technology. Enjoy the heated and masssge function lol.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:14 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

I've owned two full-sized (2011 Supercharged, 2012 Autobiography) since 2010, not a single issue with either. Highly recommended, Tanks.

The most I got out of the brakes was ~28,000 miles. They will last a long time if you don't abuse them. Same with the tires. Not a bad thing to say about my experience with the brand other than I wish they came with the diesel earlier in the US.

Rangie is like a magic carpet ride over rough terrain. Love the command driving position and great visibility.

Great enthusiast forum too, fullfatrr.com. Range Rover.net is another one but not as good IMO.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 01-16-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:36 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

i plan to drive this one until the next gen or any material upgrade comes out..
Old 01-16-2017, 11:11 PM
shaginwagon
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My wife drives a 2016 RR Sport HSE with the SC V6 engine. We had an O2 sensor failure at 800 miles, no problems since and now at 15,000 miles. Around town, its a decent SUV, I think the tranny and brakes could be better. On the highway at 80mph it's rock solid, smooth and quiet. Gets decent gas mileage for a heavy SUV. I hear the diesel is a fantastic motor. We had an LR2 that was absolute junk, BMW seemed to get the quality fixed during their ownership, I don't hear as many reliability issues these days.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:26 PM
TheEngineer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a 2015 RR Sport HSE and a 2006 RR S HSE. We have had zero issues with the 2015 in 2 years and 14k miles. It averages 20 mpg around town, which is a huge improvement over the 14 the old one gets. Our only complaint is with the climate control - which seems to operate on the principle that the car's opinion about fan speed is more important than the user's inputs. The 2006 was pretty good till 120k miles, at which point it started eating thousand dollar bills - planning to be rid of it soon. My advice is that you make sure you have an extended warranty if you plan to keep the car more than 4 years.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:27 PM
skywaterbanjo
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I drive a 2015 RR HSE and my wife drives a 2015 Sport. We are both on our 3rd Land Rovers (LR3, LR4, RR, Sport Evoque). We have had, knock on wood, absolutely no issues with any of them after the LR3. I won't drive anything else as my go to car. Love the 911 in the summer but it is less reliable than the RR.

Quick Reply: Question For Ranger Rover Owners