Notices

OT: Giulia Quadrifoglio 7:32 at Ring

Old 09-08-2016, 05:48 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I don't care how good the car is, or how well it drives.

With a name like "Giulia Quadrifoglio" it's going to be a hard sell. Just human nature.
You're kidding right?.. Those names have huge historical racing & brand context .. They basically define Alfa Romeo's glorious past.. It's a genius marketing move on many levels, not the least of which is the fact that cars with complex Italian names capture the Anglo and international collective imagination like nothing else... From rap songs to magazines, we are full of Italian car names everyone unwittingly butchers while loving to hear themselves pronounce the words. Even the Japanese take a stab at it with Italian-ish sounding words just to add cache' to their beige bubble sedans. Giulia quadrifoglio ticks all the boxes.. Although the instruction manual should dedicate a page to teaching non-Italians how to pronounce the "GL" sound in -foglio, and the "GI" sound in Giulia.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (08-24-2019)
Old 09-08-2016, 06:20 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

You know what...when I first looked at this video and the lack of definition out the front wind screen, I thought..hmmm...could this be a simulator?
Old 09-08-2016, 06:35 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
All Over the place is right but he's flying. Kudos, can't wait. I had a Milano QF for a few years a long time ago and it still is one of my favorite cars of all time. Sweetest motor. I have to have one.
Had one as well! Milano Verde Quadrafolio here in the states with the 3 litre! That V6 was beyond silky. Thing rolled like a boat but stuck to the road like glue. Even tracked it a bit. Way ahead of its time. Transaxle and inboard disc brakes! All I know is sitting next to the antiseptic looking German sedans the thing looks stunning. Nothing like an Alfa styling wise. I'd drive one but I can't afford a GT3 and Giulia
Robocop305 (08-24-2019)
Old 09-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
You're kidding right?.. Those names have huge historical racing & brand context .. They basically define Alfa Romeo's glorious past.. It's a genius marketing move on many levels, not the least of which is the fact that cars with complex Italian names capture the Anglo and international collective imagination like nothing else... From rap songs to magazines, we are full of Italian car names everyone unwittingly butchers while loving to hear themselves pronounce the words. Even the Japanese take a stab at it with Italian-ish sounding words just to add cache' to their beige bubble sedans. Giulia quadrifoglio ticks all the boxes.. Although the instruction manual should dedicate a page to teaching non-Italians how to pronounce the "GL" sound in -foglio, and the "GI" sound in Giulia.
Agreed! Most don't get it. Even the sound of a boxer 4 cylinder at 8,000rpm from the 60's is something to behold! Such a wonderful emotional storied history Alfa has. They built some of the best engines sports cars have ever seen...
Old 09-08-2016, 07:36 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Super slow shifting tranny. I think it's an Aisin 8-sp (like on Lexus vehicles. It's owned by Toyota now). Not very sporty. And what's with the suspension? It's bouncing all over the place, like if it's riding on bricks. Don't remember seeing other cars bounce that badly. The good news is the engine is reportedly Ferrari sourced. But yes, the main concern of everybody is reliability. I wouldn't touch that car until proven for a while.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

More impressed with the driver then the car.
That's one healthy Alfa...
Old 09-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Super slow shifting tranny. I think it's an Aisin 8-sp (like on Lexus vehicles. It's owned by Toyota now). Not very sporty. And what's with the suspension? It's bouncing all over the place, like if it's riding on bricks. Don't remember seeing other cars bounce that badly. The good news is the engine is reportedly Ferrari sourced. But yes, the main concern of everybody is reliability. I wouldn't touch that car until proven for a while.
Its a ZF 8 speed same box used in AMG. They say this is the best implementation yet. Its 150ms shift time but has an exhaust "bang" on upshifts and this is causing resonance through the camera mic so I think its adding the appearance of slower shifts. Its not as fast as PDK-S (75ms?) which is a DCT. EVO and other reviews all say the ZF 8 is well matched to the car to make the most of the torque. The engine is programmed to be a bit peaky to give some character. All reviews Ive read rate it more competent than M4 with Comp pack but just behind C63 S AMG coupe in outright performance, but it turns in better and has real character.

I think its a win and I have an order for one.

Regards being bumpy on the track. Firstly he is using all the curbs for that time so yet bumpy it will be. Secondly he is setting a factory lap so yes he is pushing on. Frankly I dont know how anyone can look at that video and not be in awe. This is a family sedan on road tyres and low aero almost matching M4 GTS times! It was always going to be a bit messy to get that lap, but actually I think you will find there are a few places he could have been in a lower gear to get a bit more push out of corners so there may have been 1s or so left on the table. Saying that there were places where I was sure he had over cooked it too and it was almost as scary watching it as being there. That said it must be a sweet and predictable chassis because he picked the car up from each of those without too much opposite lock!
Old 09-08-2016, 11:06 PM
galt
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 It is exactly what Alfa should be doing..trying to bring back their rich past. Before Ferrari it was Alfa! Alfa Romeo has a really unique offering compared to the German sedans dominating the sports sedan space.
Robocop305 (08-24-2019)
Old 09-09-2016, 12:49 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Here is the Chris Harris review for those that have not seen it

Old 09-09-2016, 01:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^. That was a manual car he was testing. The youtube tests from the official launch at Alfas track are the best as they try both transmissions and give a better understanding of the difference. The 8 speed has the advantage of keeping the car in the band and giving it more punch from what I understand, but the MT is great for those who love self shifting. In a sense Im glad the decision is out of my hands like it was for the 991 GT3. If there had have been an option for the GT3 I would have taken MT and missed out on understanding the benefits of PDK (never owned an auto car in my life till 2013). As it stands if the 991.2 GT3 is offered in both transmission choices I would struggle to decide. If money no object PDK-S because its better on the track where I mostly use the car, and around town when I drive home form the track and hit rush hour traffic. But I suspect the residuals would be better for a MT car in our market, and not being rich means Id probably struggle with deciding with the $$$ vs the best transmission for the job...

For me the Alfa QVwins on a number of Levels:

1). Its a bloody good car
2). I see M3 + M4 every day - nice to own something different
3). Its the only Italian "exotic" I can afford to own. No Ferrari or hot Italian chicks for me!
4). Its a bloody awesome car - 500+ bhp, sounds good, is relatively light, rear wheel drive, awesome chassis....
5). I love the interior - its got less buttons and cool seats and low seating (im tallish).
6). It has cool tech (CF roof, hood, prop shaft, alloy fenders, doors, boot
7). Its pretty.
8). Its not too expensive
9). Heritage (had 70s 2000 GT and never an issue) remember these cars as a kid. You weren't a car guy if you hadnt owned an alfa...
Robocop305 (08-24-2019)
Old 09-09-2016, 01:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here's our prior 1974 Alfa 2000 GTV. Bought in 2000, done 30,000 original miles, two enthusiast owners since new, 100% perfect, never went wrong in 2.5 years (no one I tell this too has ever believed me but its true - maybe we were blessed) and 13,500 miles, even the original cotton stitching was complete and original. Always driven gently.

P.S. Even today you can see the instrument binnacle resemblance in the new Giulia QV (Gaudrifoglio Verde - Green four leaf - for those who want to know).

As for the name. Tell me, how can you deny that Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio Verde doesnt sound cool (say it with your best Italian accent or ask Alex to say it for you).
Attached Images         
Robocop305 (08-24-2019)
Old 09-09-2016, 01:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Today's Giulia (Julia) QV (there was an earlier one 1962- 1978). It was used to take Alex to school :-)

Will retail under 80K in USA I should think...

Really. Whats not to like?
Attached Images       
Old 09-09-2016, 01:46 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,706 Likes on 2,685 Posts

A beauty (the old GTV), Macca! Bet it sounds great too...

Btw, I think the new GQ price will start way under $80k. Supposed to compete with M3 that starts around $60k (with Euro Delivery discount).
Old 09-09-2016, 02:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Grant. It was a lovely car.

You Yanks get all the best deals.

In NZ it will retail for 101,000 USD base! Hence why I will buy ex UK.

In Europe the 8 speed ZF version base price is 81K Euro (inc tax).

In Europe, UK, NZ & Australia it is priced around the same as new M4 Competition Pack. It is alot cheaper than C63 S AMG Coupe...
Old 09-09-2016, 02:43 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,724 Likes on 4,759 Posts

I don't disagree with you about the heritage of the name, esp. as it relates to Alfa Romeo's heritage, but that is exactly what is wrong with the name of the car, and perhaps Alfa Romeo, the company.

They are forever marketing and positioning themselves for a niche market.

The need to appeal to more than carfanatics like you and myself; they need to appeal to guys who are shopping for the C63, M4, or the GT-S.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT: Giulia Quadrifoglio 7:32 at Ring