Notices

M4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 03:05 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
I've always felt this way, nice you put it in words. As a concrete example, I don't like Subaru STis that don't have the big rear wing, it was designed for it and so it's beautiful in its purpose. I'd daily drive an M4 GTS without a second thought. Why care what others think?

That being said, I wish the GTS had 4 seats. My logic is that I would always rather be driving the lightest car that provides the most tactile experience, for any given situation. I want to enjoy every drive. So if I'm just driving myself or one other person, a GT4 would be pretty fun, and be more comfortable than a Caterham. It works for long road trips required to visit distance race tracks without a trailer. If I'm going snowboarding with friends I'll take the WRX wagon with all the aftermarket suspension bits. It's the lightest AWD car that can hold everything. With 4 seats, a GTS would fit the niche of drivers car that I can take a few passengers to lunch in and enjoy some mountain roads on the way back. With only two seats, I'd prefer the lighter GT4 or GT3.
Before we go for a drive in the odyssey, I starve my kids, and have them clean out all their crap and vacuum it. drop weight by at least 100lbs.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:30 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Before we go for a drive in the odyssey, I starve my kids, and have them clean out all their crap and vacuum it. drop weight by at least 100lbs.
My friend's odyssey has the vacuum built in!
Old 05-20-2016, 03:31 PM
Uncle Jed
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Form follows Function

Originally Posted by johnr265
I'm thinking about doing this too. I agree that the looks are not as cohesive as the GT4 but the beauty in many race cars is that form follows function. That in and of itself creates a form of beauty. More mechanical than aesthetic.
I picked up my GT4 last week and parked it in the garage next to my E92 M3 Coupe. Looking at the two side-by-side I was immediate struck by how much lower and wider the GT4 looked compared to my M3. I suspect the same is true of the M4. If as Johnr265 suggests, form follows function, the low, wide, mid-engine form of the Cayman chassis appears to be a much better platform for building a track car than the basic form of the M4 chassis.

Uncle Jed
Old 05-21-2016, 12:24 AM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Jed
I picked up my GT4 last week and parked it in the garage next to my E92 M3 Coupe. Looking at the two side-by-side I was immediate struck by how much lower and wider the GT4 looked compared to my M3. I suspect the same is true of the M4. If as Johnr265 suggests, form follows function, the low, wide, mid-engine form of the Cayman chassis appears to be a much better platform for building a track car than the basic form of the M4 chassis.

Uncle Jed
Just keep the GT4... You don't want to be associated with the following video!

Old 05-21-2016, 12:27 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

OMG....the coolaid is strong.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:53 AM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had the privilege of driving the M4 yet, but the things I've read and heard from both owners and automotive publications has not left me very impressed. In particular, this review left me pretty skeptical (especially as a guy who loves his V8 'Stang):

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 05-21-2016 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:17 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
Just keep the GT4... You don't want to be associated with the following video!
Hate to sound myopic but this is one of the prejudices that I flippantly harbor which has actually steered me away from BMWs
Old 05-21-2016, 08:02 AM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

i tried my best to like the F80. we have an E90 M3 and that seemed like a natural progression for the family four-seater. we even planned to to ED and have a nice German/Italian vacation in the bargain.

but i couldn't do it. the steering, the sound (both real sounds from outside and the shameful fake sound in the cockpit), the general numbness...it was a better performing car in all aspects but i didn't like it. maybe the M3 GTS addresses those issues but i would really have to drive it extensively to be convinced. as the others have said, it may be an equal or better investment, but i don't think that's the reason to buy a car.

plus i think it looks awful. mainly because of those wheels, which i guess you could address fairly easily.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:38 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

The OP's original question was about the M4 GTS. Is it close enough to the "normal" M4 that the comments and comparisons are valid? I feel like we may be discussing apples and oranges here. Like someone asking about a GT4 and people providing comments based off of experiences with a Cayman S.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:36 AM
johnr265
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
The OP's original question was about the M4 GTS. Is it close enough to the "normal" M4 that the comments and comparisons are valid? I feel like we may be discussing apples and oranges here. Like someone asking about a GT4 and people providing comments based off of experiences with a Cayman S.
Agree. any car that shaves 30 seconds off the Nurburgring time can really said to be no longer the same car. This so far is the only real video review (lots of good first drive reviews).

BTW, Yargk, I completely agree with you. The Z28 has back seats and my kids love being taking around in it. Super fun family hauler (though it's hard to talk with the exhaust bypass fuse removed ). Bang for the buck is off the charts in that car. In fact, Saavyboy just had his for sale for 44k. For that you get 4 seats, 7 liters of V8 goodness, 505 hp, 470 lb-ft of torque, slick shifting trans, a clutch with beautiful modulation but firm takeup, carbon ceramic brakes and a chassis that dances.....yes, I said that right dances, once set up properly. Such fun to be a car enthusiast right now!
Old 05-21-2016, 10:45 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Agree. any car that shaves 30 seconds off the Nurburgring time can really said to be no longer the same car. This so far is the only real video review (lots of good first drive reviews).
It's pretty much not the same car anymore. the reviews are saying it's the best driving BMW ever....and a 7:28 is somewhat of a miracle for that badge. Kinda like comparing an RS to a Carerra.

BTW, Yargk, I completely agree with you. The Z28 has back seats and my kids love being taking around in it. Super fun family hauler (though it's hard to talk with the exhaust bypass fuse removed ). Bang for the buck is off the charts in that car. In fact, Saavyboy just had his for sale for 44k. For that you get 4 seats, 7 liters of V8 goodness, 505 hp, 470 lb-ft of torque, slick shifting trans, a clutch with beautiful modulation but firm takeup, carbon ceramic brakes and a chassis that dances.....yes, I said that right dances, once set up properly. Such fun to be a car enthusiast right now!
If they put that LS7 in an ATS-V it would be too much to resist. Z28 is a special, special creature.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:53 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
It's pretty much not the same car anymore. the reviews are saying it's the best driving BMW ever....and a 7:28 is somewhat of a miracle for that badge. Kinda like comparing an RS to a Carerra.If they put that LS7 in an ATS-V it would be too much to resist. Z28 is a special, special creature.
I will most probably get grilled for this. But being the best driving modern BMW doesn't mean much at all...
Old 05-21-2016, 01:15 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the GT4 for the NA and MT. M4 GTS has neither.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:40 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

let crucify me
I'm or was an architect
form follows function is kind of yesterday

I am more function follows form.
why do it if u are not looking pretty doing it

my vote is gt4
Old 05-21-2016, 02:38 PM
Provie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi all, thanks for the responses. I submitted my order and intend to do my own comparison testing before any decision.
My main reservations about the GTS are its size and its looks.
I do agree that the styling is a bit juvenile which flies in the face of my usually "understated" preference. I wanted to do CF wheels but couldn't stomach the price.
I'm not sure if this car has the artificial exhaust noise piped into the cabin like the reg F80's. There is mention of new materials for the system (all Ti) and the video clips do sound promising. My hesitation would be with the deletion of the back seat, there's ample space for resonance (drone) from an aggressively pitched exhaust (that is the SINGLE most annoying factor I experienced with my 1M: and is pleasantly abscent in the GT4).
With its exclusivity (700 units world wide), this actually would discourage me from using it as intended (extensive track work), for my average skills, I can see myself getting over my head quite easily; I don't want to be known as the guy that wrecked his ultra-rare M4GTS on track.
It will come down to as some mentioned, an extended testing period, at the end, there'd be two very happy/ lucky car owners!

Quick Reply: M4 GTS