Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 08:14 AM
Geza
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

Can't say I'm pleased with what I found yesterday while applying a layer of wax to the beast. If I knew it was going to corrode like a '71 Datsun, I never would have bought it. Overall great car, but this is unacceptable - in the 21st century.

This is corrosion with bubbling paint on both aluminum front fenders. Car is garaged kept, never seen weather and has ~4200 miles in 2+ years - driven a few times per month.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:34 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

That is absolutely ****e quality. So upsetting as I was a big Mustang fan for many years.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:39 AM
Geza
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

After doing some research, this is apparently a known issue with aluminum panels on multiple Ford vehicles, and is covered under warranty and fixed with replacement panels. I recently bought a 31 year old 928S4 - no corrosion on those aluminum panels!
Old 08-28-2018, 10:46 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Originally Posted by Geza
After doing some research, this is apparently a known issue with aluminum panels on multiple Ford vehicles, and is covered under warranty and fixed with replacement panels. I recently bought a 31 year old 928S4 - no corrosion on those aluminum panels!
Nice panel alignment there as well. I would have paid $20K or more for a GT350 that had a BMW level body quality and paint. How much nicer is the quality in a M4 over a GT350? My Raptor is a far better product from Ford, like it was made by a different company.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:04 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

I sold my .1 GT3 just 10 days ago and have been itching for a new car ever since. Unfortunately, not sure i can afford a Touring now without stretching myself too thin.

I wanted to know if anyone here owns / owned a 2017 Gt350 and what their thoughts are on it. I know the car won't replace the GT3 but i feel it can still tick many boxes especially the fun factor due to a Manual going to 8,250 and packs 526 hp and has 429 lb.-ft. for torque...

I know the 16s had engine issues but did the 17 have any issues? They have one is stock left at my local dealer so wanted to check

How is the suspension? Is it stiff or can it be used for a daily driver? How is the manual transmission / clutch? Heavy or light clutch? Does the 17 have a rev matching feature by any chance? I was told it has a rear camera but does it also have an input to plug an ipod?

Most importantly if you owned a GT3.1 how would you compare it? On a scale 1-10 if the GT3 was a 9 what would you rate the GT350 at?

Considering the price of the car, i think it offers tons of value
Old 11-07-2018, 10:02 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

I had a 997.1 GT3 and now have a '17 GT350.

GT350 is nearly a daily driver, more than 17K miles on it. Never could have done that in the GT3, which is harsh around town. GT350 is a gem, suspension has normal, sport and track settings to fine tune whatever your pleasure is. Clutch is super light, the lightest I've ever experienced in a sports car. Even has a hill hold feature on it. A breeze even in stop and go traffic. Only downside is on track and under heavy lateral load the clutch engagement can upset the car if you are not careful. (Corrected with seat time as you learn how it engages). No rev matching but super easy to heel and toe. Pedal placement is excellent.

I think they are different cars to won't rank them against one another, but absolutely love both cars. But the lower price point and softer suspension make the GT350 a friendly daily driver where the GT3 was not.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:09 PM
Wooly1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 991.1 GT3 as well as a GT350R. The GT350 does not have Rev Matching but I installed an Auto-Blip for about $400 and now it has it. The GT350 has a manual transmission so that alone makes it quite a different driving experience. I happen to love it. The GT3 is certainly faster but not by a lot. Maybe 1-2 seconds on a two minute track lap. The build quality is far superior on the GT3. Parts and service are much less expensive on the GT350 with the exception of the front splitter. Steering is better on the GT3. You said the GT3 was a 9 and I would put the GT350 at about an 8 although they are very different cars which makes it a unique experience to switch back and forth. I like that part as well. The GT350 is balanced much better than the GT3. When you turn all the nannies off on the track, you figure that out pretty quickly. With nannies on of course you will not feel that as much.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:47 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
I sold my .1 GT3 just 10 days ago and have been itching for a new car ever since. Unfortunately, not sure i can afford a Touring now without stretching myself too thin.

I wanted to know if anyone here owns / owned a 2017 Gt350 and what their thoughts are on it. I know the car won't replace the GT3 but i feel it can still tick many boxes especially the fun factor due to a Manual going to 8,250 and packs 526 hp and has 429 lb.-ft. for torque...

I know the 16s had engine issues but did the 17 have any issues? They have one is stock left at my local dealer so wanted to check

How is the suspension? Is it stiff or can it be used for a daily driver? How is the manual transmission / clutch? Heavy or light clutch? Does the 17 have a rev matching feature by any chance? I was told it has a rear camera but does it also have an input to plug an ipod?

Most importantly if you owned a GT3.1 how would you compare it? On a scale 1-10 if the GT3 was a 9 what would you rate the GT350 at?

I have a 17 GT350, bought new in November 17. About 3100 km on it thus far. Bought it because I always wanted a muscle car and had been eyeing it since an autoshow in 2015.

Suspension - Great, I think. Different damper settings depending on usage. So you can definitely daily in normal mode. Even in sport mode, will just be a bumpier ride so depends on your sensitivity.
Transmission - Manual has great shift feel and engagement. Clutch is light. No rev match.
Ipod - Mine has an optional tech pack which I believe provided CarPlay. (I know I have CarPlay not sure off the top if it's part of the tech pack)
GT3 compare - Doesn't compare. It's a different experience, so I would say can't and don't compare. I haven't owned at GT3 yet, test drove a 991.1 GT3 and had a GT4 (which was tracked). GT3 is like a scalpel, better quality overall. If I compared to my GT4, I prefer the GT4 for precision driving. But again you can't compare the two. Not the same class.

I haven't taken my GT350 on track yet. However attended the Ford Performance School this past April with their 16 GT350 w/track pack, stock cars except for cage, harness, Castrol SRF and alignment. I was blown away by the car's capability on track. Thoroughly enjoyed it. GT350 feels big (comparing to my 997.2 and former GT4), doesn't feel as planted as the two cars I mentioned. Overall I love it. I am thinking about selling only because I want a 3.2 G50 Carrera or 993 C2S/4S/Turbo and don't have space and free cash for 4 fun cars. If you didn't mind importing, my car would be a great deal with your currency.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:45 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 230 Posts

It's untrue that the 16s had any specific engine issues, at all. I think some 17+ owners like to tell themselves that to feel more comfortable with the fact that there have been a handful of engine failures in the cars - some attributed to the screw on oil filters that like to back off due to the vibration that the FPC engine emits...some attributed to running low on oil (some cars use some oil and some do not - my 350R does not). The failures have not been narrowed down to a specific model year.

I drove mine today and damn...I cant believe I'm thinking about letting it go in order to build this 964 that I picked up. If you're in the Tampa, FL area, you're welcome to check it out.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:50 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Thank you all for the feedback. It is really helpful. Unfortunately, the wife thinks it is a hideous car in terms of looks, so most likely a "no go"

@STORONTO importing here have very strict regulations, one of them is car needs to have less than 1,000 KM
Old 11-07-2018, 11:14 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

I question her judgement
Old 11-08-2018, 06:36 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jeff33702
I question her judgement
Her taste is def. questionable since she ended up with me
Old 11-08-2018, 05:28 PM
DNSGT3
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

I had a 2017 for 6 months. In short, the GT350 is a great drivers' car but need open space to enjoy. You'd be shocked by its track capability. That engine enters 'heaven' mode above 6K rpm.
The car is quite comfortable if you have magnetic ride.
Clutch is super light but the biting point isn't as crisp as that on the GT4.
No rev-match but you can install AutoBlip. Heel-toe is easy on the track. I couldn't reach the throttle pedal unless I push the brake pedal deep - hard to heel-toe under normal driving for me.

To me, daily traffic kills the experience. Mainly because of the poor low-end torque - it feels sluggish and loud until you hit 4K above.

There are some engine failures cross all MY's. Read the following thread and see for yourself. My engine had no issues but I only drove it for 6 months and 4,000 KM.
Blown Engine Thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...thread.104010/

Hard to compare it to a GT3. They drive very differently even though they might achieve similar lap time. I feel the GT3 feels more precise, lighter and it is more willing to rev. You'd feel the GT350 is big, heavy, comfortable but lazy if you only test drive it on the street. You need open road and high speed corners to understand how the Mustang can give 911 a run.

Fit and finish is crap inside and out. Your wife will hate it. My wife did.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:38 PM
Randy M
Drifting

My wife never wanted to go in my old GT350 either. She loves the new T.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:48 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Lol - mine thinks Porsche owners are pretentious douche bags - She's not always wrong.

Quick Reply: GT350