Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:32 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
whats gonna happen if the Vette is picked over the Porsche?!

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ar-2013-a.html
What's gonna happen? Simple business that is bad for everyone... the push to Least Common Denominator. Or, a game strategy known as "Tit for Tat".

VW will compare the high cost of engineering and creating the exquisitely tactile Porsche suspension geometry (multilink rears and MacStrut fronts, each engineered to perfection) with the cost of Corvette's five piece, bare minimum jury rig suspension (upper/lower control arms, knuckle, damper, and plastic leaf spring) and, being VW, they will move in the jury rig direction to cut cost, charge the same, and therefore increase profits... all to get a promotion up the VW corporate ladder.

Vettes have great engines giving great power in a driving platform that, IMHO, feels like a two seat Town Car with extra mechanical grip.

That's the Least Common Denominator. Lack of feel, lowest cost, lowest engineering/manufacturing sophistication.

Lose / Lose for customers on both sides.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Yeah, those multilink rears and Macpherson struts are way more advanced than the magnetic suspension in the new Vettes......
Old 08-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Yeah, those multilink rears and Macpherson struts are way more advanced than the magnetic suspension in the new Vettes......
I thought the Boxster and Caveman were Mac struts front and rear.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:05 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO the leaf spring suspensions on the Vettes are comparable to the Rear Engine of the 911. Not the most advantageous conceptually but concepts dont set lap records all over the country and dominate classes.

Wins speak louder than words and there are plemty of those in Corvettes. Plenty of guys have went the coilover route on vette and ended up slower.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:18 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
IMO the leaf spring suspensions on the Vettes are comparable to the Rear Engine of the 911. Not the most advantageous conceptually but concepts dont set lap records all over the country and dominate classes.

Wins speak louder than words and there are plemty of those in Corvettes. Plenty of guys have went the coilover route on vette and ended up slower.
GM Corvette racing doesn't use leaf springs... completely ground up spring and damper suspension geometry rebuild on GM Corvette racing Vettes. Springs and dampers with NO leaf spring, that is.

The only customer available part on a GM Corvette racing AT ALL is the frame... which is the aluminum version from the Z06.

No legitimate comparison between GM Corvette racing Vette wins to customer Vette design.

Originally Posted by quikag
Yeah, those multilink rears and Macpherson struts are way more advanced than the magnetic suspension in the new Vettes
New Vettes have magnetic DAMPERS as one piece of the five piece suspension on each of the four corners. So far, only MagLev transport systems have magnetic suspension.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
GM Corvette racing doesn't use leaf springs... completely ground up spring and damper suspension geometry rebuild on GM Corvette racing Vettes. Springs and dampers with NO leaf spring, that is.

The only customer available part on a GM Corvette racing AT ALL is the frame... which is the aluminum version from the Z06.

No legitimate comparison between GM Corvette racing Vette wins to customer Vette design.

New Vettes have magnetic DAMPERS as one piece of the five piece suspension on each of the four corners. So far, only MagLev transport systems have magnetic suspension.
I knew they ran coilovers, but it would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of any given race Vette to the equivalent road car. I imagine it's similar to compare Cup to GT3. I assume the engine is the same small block. Almost everything else needs fortification or applicable rules.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:59 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i wish they would start production already!... they said the first batch will be held for final quality checks.. so my 2nd batch car should come around the same time as first batch orders..... every review i see looks great, and actually quite excited for the space filler that will be the c7.

Btw: if anyone is in the below towns, and has a "open schedule" (not sure what time i wil be in each).. i'm doing a semi-cross country first drive in the C7.. and any rennlister can take it for a spin if they want to compare to their GT Porsche

nashua NH
NYC
pittsburg
philadelphia
DC
Colombus
Cincinnati
Danville VA (VIR)
Raleigh
Wilmington NC
miami
Tampa,

i've been running flat 6's for so long, it should be a great change to have all that tq.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:21 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i wish they would start production already!... they said the first batch will be held for final quality checks.. so my 2nd batch car should come around the same time as first batch orders..... every review i see looks great, and actually quite excited for the space filler that will be the c7.

Btw: if anyone is in the below towns, and has a "open schedule" (not sure what time i wil be in each).. i'm doing a semi-cross country first drive in the C7.. and any rennlister can take it for a spin if they want to compare to their GT Porsche

nashua NH
NYC
pittsburg
philadelphia
DC
Colombus
Cincinnati
Danville VA (VIR)
Raleigh
Wilmington NC
miami
Tampa,

i've been running flat 6's for so long, it should be a great change to have all that tq.
What is "tq" ... torque? ... oh, you mean that nudge in the back that a 911 gives between 5100 and 5300 rpm?
Old 08-15-2013, 03:04 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
What is "tq" ... torque? ... oh, you mean that nudge in the back that a 911 gives between 5100 and 5300 rpm?
haha, yeah my carerra's never had much tq besides the TT with the EvoMs package.

from all the vehicles owned, i love the ones with a lot of tq the most... makes it great and easy to daily drive.. not having to row gears to keep it in the power band.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 AM
SeriousB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drove the new Corvette. Pretty cool.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:29 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

You did? Where?
I want to drive and order one as well.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:42 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You did? Where?
I want to drive and order one as well.
Are you ok?
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2013, 11:48 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas

true, C6R uses coil-over multi-adjustable shock absorbers. Also the engine is smaller and "detuned."
Old 08-15-2013, 11:50 AM
kosmo
Race Director

nashua NH
NYC
pittsburg
philadelphia
DC
Colombus
Cincinnati
Danville VA (VIR)
Raleigh
Wilmington NC
miami
Tampa,

swing down to The Lone Star state!
Old 08-15-2013, 01:55 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nashua NH
NYC
pittsburg
philadelphia
DC
Colombus
Cincinnati
Danville VA (VIR)
Raleigh
Wilmington NC
miami
Tampa,

Wait! no phoenix?

Quick Reply: New Corvette...