Notices

2013 Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 12:18 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

It changes a lot - the Hp and torque are changed some too . I think it moves it more than it changes it - but Ihavent run it to know.

From Ford ...

The TracKey PCM software, installed by an authorized Ford dealer after a customer takes delivery of the car, adjusts variable cam timing, spark maps, engine braking, fuel control, throttle response and other engine parameters – more than 600 in total – to provide a complete race car calibration. The result is an aggressive, race-bred driving experience all the way down to the lopey idle rumbling through the Boss quad exhaust. It is not compatible to any other Ford vehicle.

“Anything that could possibly affect all-out performance is deleted from the TracKey calibration,” said Dave Pericak, Mustang chief engineer. “Throttle limiting and torque management – any daily drivability enhancements are removed and replaced with a pure Ford Racing competition calibration.”

One thing I am pretty sure of is that you need 93 octane in the tank. It changes the knock sensors . I have read a bit on it but I havent got down to any real bizness with my car as it only has 100 miles on it.

Ford has done some good work here with this car though.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:28 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Igooz
Thank you...So the throttle sensitivity goes up, and probably engine responses faster to throttle input, but the peak power/tq remains the same?

I must say that I really like the looks of the current generation Mustang specially the Boss. I have an affinity for these cars as I got my car education thanks to many mustangs!
Yes I am with you on that .

I liked the look of these. And inside it had a somewhat similar view from the wheel as my old Mustang - however much much improved everywhere .

I asked the dealer to hold the car overnight and they did. I got to thinking about if there were no more V8s and what it Ford made another trip like they did in the late 70s and in the 1980s about applying the euro looks to the car with a turbo 4 in it. It might be fast as all get out , but it wasnt going to be for me. So the next morning I called them and said I will pick it up this afternoon.

I can always get a Cayman when I might want to . But there might not be any new Boss for a while and I would be kicking myself was my thinking .

Guys ask me which I like better - the Porsches or the Boss. I say both. But today I like the Boss.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

+1! I am seriously tempted to get the Boss in white or orange(?) and I would upgrade the suspension for some DE events. The Lagunas are demanding a premium since they are viewed as collectible. What do you think of a low mileage per-owned Boss with the Quaife rear end option? I can upgrade the suspension and add the oil cooler myself.

I have owned a 77 II college car and then 69 Boss, 67FB, 85.5SVO, 86SVO, and an 86GT...years ago I met Parnelli and he is such a good guy!
Old 07-14-2013, 12:03 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

I have decided, at least for the minute, to keep mine with all Ford, Laguna parts, or Ford Racing parts on it. Just because . Mine is just a sometimes driver with my buds and a track day or so with all of us and buds sometimes too.

But as for having a Boss as a track car, sure. That is what they are made for.

With a Tremec, a McLeod clutch, and a Griggs suspension, and sticky rubber you can hang a tag on it or on your helmet that says " I Eat P's."
Old 07-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

^Thanks...I will keep you posted...
Old 07-14-2013, 06:21 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

I am not saying it "needs" those mods either for DE or track days etc. The car is made to run just like it is.

But IF I was going to actually race against Porsches etc I think the Stang will be a whompus horse then with the mods and the car would hold up to demanding conditions. It would weigh less too .

Of course you can buy a Boss R or S right from Ford too. Slap some numbers on it and go out and go FAST !
Old 07-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Thanks Texas!...I am still window shopping...but this is the first time that I have been Mustangless since 1984! I have always had 2 hearts: Ford and Porsche! For sure, I would modify the car...

Here is a shot of my heavily modded/road tracked 67GT/FB in retirement and my 85.5 garage queen SVO...there is more...

I have found an Orange Boss 302 with 1,3xx miles for cheap (in Pcar dollars!)...
Attached Images    
Old 07-14-2013, 09:48 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Good looking Stangs .

I dont know about the orange - was that a 2012 color. Ford has a School Bus Yellow Boss. I think the Shelby is orange. But they might have made some.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

^It looks orange on computer screen! Maybe I had my PJ shades on!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:17 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

You are going to join me in the going to need a bigger (another) garage.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Good looking Stangs!

2012 had a competition orange color. I don't think they had it for 2013 - same suspension and engine so either year is good.

I had Griggs on my Shelby with the Watts Link, most stable car i've ever driven- especially at high speeds. The Boss is solid though, i'm keeping mine stock it has probably 95% of the performance I had with the Griggs. In the corners it's holds like glue. Only weakness i've found is the panhard rod - when you accelerate like a crazy man you can feel a slight shift in the rear end - it's not breaking loose but I know it's shifting. A Watts Link would solve that. Grab one and take it on the track you'll have a blast!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexasRider
You are going to join me in the going to need a bigger (another) garage.

Water went over the dam about 15 years ago...

Last edited by Igooz; 07-15-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

I had a student this past Friday in a DE with a BOSS 302.

I'm a pretty die-hard Porsche guy but I gotta say... the car was pretty... well... BOSS! Really a neat car. I think the only "bad" thing I could say so far was more about the dealer that sold him the car instead of the car itself.... they told him that with the "TracKey" and the factory Brembos that it was truly "track ready", right down to the brake pads. He learned in about 4 laps in the first session of the day that he was lied to when he ran out of brakes and off into the grass we went....

Still it sounded pretty awesome going down the straights with the pedal down, love the nice tight gear ratios. Cool car... I'd drive one.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Great information...was it the pads that went that fast or the fluid or everything? 4 laps and brakes gone is pretty bad even for stock Brembos...

Quick Reply: 2013 Boss 302