Notices

My new rig - Gladiator Launch Edition

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 06:02 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

2 months later, how are you enjoying your Gladiator? Are you wanting more power? The only major con for me is the weak engine, second minor con is towing capacity.

I hope the diesel gets introduced here soon. That's going to sell well.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:36 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
2 months later, how are you enjoying your Gladiator? Are you wanting more power? The only major con for me is the weak engine, second minor con is towing capacity.

I hope the diesel gets introduced here soon. That's going to sell well.
I'm really enjoying it. Sitting at ~1500 miles with a mix of back roads and interstate. I appreciate the features, like remote start, have enjoyed having a bed, and it is very comfortable.

I wouldn't say I long for more power. It definitely needs to be revved out if you want the most out of it, but I never feel like it's slow. It is slow. But it doesn't feel slow. I have no hesitation in pulling out in traffic or merging on the interstate. It doesn't have a great engine or exhaust sound, but it works.

Towing capacity is very solid for a mid-size truck. The Rubicon is rated at 7000 pounds. The diesel will no doubt deliver on torque, but the rumors are flying that it won't have better tow capacity. I find this surprising, but looking forward to finally getting details.

Overall, I've been much more impressed than I expected. I actually like it more than I thought I would and it is a nice change of pace. It's quirky, has an interesting character, and fits well into the things I wanted from a truck.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:48 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
I'm really enjoying it. Sitting at ~1500 miles with a mix of back roads and interstate. I appreciate the features, like remote start, have enjoyed having a bed, and it is very comfortable.

I wouldn't say I long for more power. It definitely needs to be revved out if you want the most out of it, but I never feel like it's slow. It is slow. But it doesn't feel slow. I have no hesitation in pulling out in traffic or merging on the interstate. It doesn't have a great engine or exhaust sound, but it works.

Towing capacity is very solid for a mid-size truck. The Rubicon is rated at 7000 pounds. The diesel will no doubt deliver on torque, but the rumors are flying that it won't have better tow capacity. I find this surprising, but looking forward to finally getting details.

Overall, I've been much more impressed than I expected. I actually like it more than I thought I would and it is a nice change of pace. It's quirky, has an interesting character, and fits well into the things I wanted from a truck.
Thanks for updating us. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a '20 Tundra and I want to revisit all my previous options. The gladiator is catching my eye again. It seems like it's packed with features and options compared to the Tundra.

If you don't mind sharing, how do the cameras operate along with the infotainment and sound system? I can't stop fantasizing about driving this thing down to Mexico which I do often.. The utility seems fantastic. What type of attention does it get?
Old 08-22-2019, 12:43 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Thanks for updating us. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a '20 Tundra and I want to revisit all my previous options. The gladiator is catching my eye again. It seems like it's packed with features and options compared to the Tundra.

If you don't mind sharing, how do the cameras operate along with the infotainment and sound system? I can't stop fantasizing about driving this thing down to Mexico which I do often.. The utility seems fantastic. What type of attention does it get?
The infotainment is very solid. CarPlay and Android Auto plus Offroad mode, which provides all the extra gauges like oil temp, trans temp, etc... It's quite good.

The cameras are extremely clear. Engaging reverse pulls up the reverse cam, as you would expect. But you can also switch to the front camera with one tap. Neither of them stay on at speed, but if you are trailing you can keep the front camera on.

And with the Rubicon you have a disconnecting sway bar and lockers. It is extremely capable.

Compared to a Tundra the interior will feel a bit cramped and the solid front axle on the Gladiator means steering isn't nearly as precise. I would encourage driving one. Both an Overland on street tires and a Rubicon. They do drive different but both models drive and ride better than a Wrangler.

Quick Reply: My new rig - Gladiator Launch Edition