Notices

Dodge Viper acr

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:38 PM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Dodge Viper acr

Do any of you guys own a viper, please share your thoughts?
Old 06-13-2019, 12:35 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

CJ had a pretty good thread a couple years ago when he owned one, search for it. Several other RLers have owned them, and I'm sure some will chime in. I don't have enough seat time with modern GT cars to give you worthwhile "thoughts", comparison, but I have loved every minute with mine. That being said, I have been considering selling my ACR to try something like a 3RS, 458, or Scud. Not because I dislike the car at all, I just don't have the car budget to own multiple toy cars, and life is short.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer.
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2019, 09:21 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I had an ACR for a few years....brutally fun....what are your plans with it?....track, weekend?....The car is punishing in both good and bad ways....I recommend it
Old 06-13-2019, 11:14 AM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 130 Posts

One of the top 3 cars I've owned in terms of "fun". I'd still have it if the dealer network didn't suck; my dealer wrecked mine...
Old 06-13-2019, 05:04 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 108 Posts

The Gen V Viper ACR Extreme is an amazing car. It is a monster on the track and it gets tons of looks on the street. You see more Porsche GT cars on the road than you do Viper's, let alone an ACR.

There is also something about a front engine rear wheel drive car with a manual transmission.

I only have my 2018 Carrera T to compare my 2016 Viper ACR Extreme to, so I can't comment on how out compares to a GT car, but they are very different. The ACR is very easy to drive. Its like a giant Miata that has so much grip you would think it has all wheel drive.

It has a really long hood and is not easy to get in and out of, so its definitely not a daily driver. And to mirror what Tpup said, the dealer network does suck. My ACR hasn't been to the dealer once. Most dealers never see one and so you wouldn't want them working on it. Luckily for me, I have a competent shop that I take it to and every one in a while I tow it two hours from San Diego to LA to have Dan Cragin go over the whole car. He is the Viper guru on the west coast.

So that is something to consider is if you have a competent local shop that can work on it.

Attachment 1338088

Name:  p4li5V8.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  115.5 KB

Name:  ZKoI95a.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  94.1 KB
The following users liked this post:
cadster (03-21-2020)
Old 06-14-2019, 12:16 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

I have a 2008 GTS, but not an ACR. It's a brutal car, uncomfortable, tight, horrible road manners, big grabby tires that feel every uneven spot in the road, plastic interior, and hot. It's also very quick, solid as a rock, costs me virtually nothing to run (except lots of gas), and gets more looks than any other car I've driven, with the exception of ancient brass cars. It's Thor's hammer; smash hard rather than slice. Think of a true track car, with adjustments made to make it street drivable. Personally, I like the GTS more than roadsters, and I REALLY like the latest models than mine or the earlier ones. I can only imagine how much more "track" an ACR feels!

I think they're winners & will appreciate in the future. Hand built, Lamborghini cast engines, super-low production, and unlike anything else on the market. If I had the cash, I'd trade mine in on a super-clean late model GTS or ACR and drive it a few hundred miles a year.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:01 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Saw one at a recent DE event - in the paddock - was very disappointed I never got to see it on track.........................................

Quick Reply: Dodge Viper acr