Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Other Marque Discussions (https://rennlist.com/forums/other-marque-discussions-222/)
-   -   O/T - Seeking some help for a dead Ducati (https://rennlist.com/forums/other-marque-discussions/1129439-o-t-seeking-some-help-for-a-dead-ducati.html)

Ducati1199 02-15-2019 11:26 PM

O/T - Seeking some help for a dead Ducati

Sorry to go a little O/T but would like to utilize the knowledge of this forum for an issue I'm having with my Ducati.
A week or so ago my I noticed the battery tender on my Panigale 1199S (six plus years old with OEM battery) was flashing red. I turned on the ignition and the screen came on but upon pressing the starter, nothing. After a few tries you could see the battery was dying. I tried another battery tender and the same thing – started charging and in a few mins it showed bad. I assumed the battery was gone and after nearly 7 years with the OEM battery I thought it just needed replacing. I ordered an Antigravity lithium battery and put it in today. Other than some issues with fit I got it in, connected the cables and when I turned on the ignition I got absolutely nothing – the screen didn’t come to life at all. Let alone start up. I borrowed a voltmeter and found that I had 13.6 V on the lithium battery and it stayed at this voltage when I turned the ignition on. It didn’t drop at all. I then checked the OEM battery and it still had 12.4V so now I’m not sure if it was a battery issue after all? The last time I rode the bike it was a few weeks ago and everything was normal and when I got back from the ride I put the bike on the battery tender. I went to ride the bike again a week or so ago I got the flat battery (or so I thought) issue. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance.

JWH7 02-16-2019 12:30 AM

Check the kill switch on the right grip. Sometimes mine just needs to exercised a few times. The other is to remove, clean with a wire brush then re-tighten the battery cable connections at both ends of each cable. Good luck.

Archimedes 02-16-2019 12:58 AM

Kill switch? Tipover switch? Short somewhere?

Cormid 02-16-2019 10:00 AM

Maybe you should try a another new yuasa battery for comparison. I had some unusual behavior on my running/starting monster. Changed to a new yuasa and the issue was fixed.

Drew_W 02-16-2019 10:49 AM

Sounds like the typical Ducati Rectifier issue...this has been happening for at least the past ten years that I know of. Google it and you will become highly educated in it very quickly.

Ducati1199 02-17-2019 03:48 PM

Thanks all for your help/thoughts. I've tried all the suggestions and still dead. I'm ok with the mechanical stuff but electrical is a bit of a mystery to me so I cant figure out if there's a rectifier issue or not. I'm also not sure how to figure out if there's a short somewhere. I guess a trip to the dealer is needed!!

Todd B 02-17-2019 04:15 PM

Stupid question, but battery isn’t connected backwards? Different battery could have terminals swapped, depending on orientation.

Ducati1199 02-18-2019 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Todd B (Post 15645170)
Stupid question, but battery isn’t connected backwards? Different battery could have terminals swapped, depending on orientation.

Yep, I did double check that as well. That could have been a real rookie mistake so I checked myself several times!!

Micah.Berry 03-03-2019 06:48 PM

Be sure to check the main fuse as well as the starter solenoid. There will be no power at all if the main fuse is blown. If there is some power, like a few lights on the dash, then I would suspect a starter solenoid or starter relay. If it has a solenoid, you could jump the terminals to see if the starter turns. Careful-there will be a sizable spark when you do.