Notices

O/T - Seeking some help for a dead Ducati

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 11:26 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default O/T - Seeking some help for a dead Ducati

Sorry to go a little O/T but would like to utilize the knowledge of this forum for an issue I'm having with my Ducati.
A week or so ago my I noticed the battery tender on my Panigale 1199S (six plus years old with OEM battery) was flashing red. I turned on the ignition and the screen came on but upon pressing the starter, nothing. After a few tries you could see the battery was dying. I tried another battery tender and the same thing – started charging and in a few mins it showed bad. I assumed the battery was gone and after nearly 7 years with the OEM battery I thought it just needed replacing. I ordered an Antigravity lithium battery and put it in today. Other than some issues with fit I got it in, connected the cables and when I turned on the ignition I got absolutely nothing – the screen didn’t come to life at all. Let alone start up. I borrowed a voltmeter and found that I had 13.6 V on the lithium battery and it stayed at this voltage when I turned the ignition on. It didn’t drop at all. I then checked the OEM battery and it still had 12.4V so now I’m not sure if it was a battery issue after all? The last time I rode the bike it was a few weeks ago and everything was normal and when I got back from the ride I put the bike on the battery tender. I went to ride the bike again a week or so ago I got the flat battery (or so I thought) issue. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:30 AM
JWH7
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the kill switch on the right grip. Sometimes mine just needs to exercised a few times. The other is to remove, clean with a wire brush then re-tighten the battery cable connections at both ends of each cable. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:58 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Kill switch? Tipover switch? Short somewhere?
Old 02-16-2019, 10:00 AM
Cormid
Racer

Maybe you should try a another new yuasa battery for comparison. I had some unusual behavior on my running/starting monster. Changed to a new yuasa and the issue was fixed.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:49 AM
Drew_W
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like the typical Ducati Rectifier issue...this has been happening for at least the past ten years that I know of. Google it and you will become highly educated in it very quickly.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:48 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Thanks all for your help/thoughts. I've tried all the suggestions and still dead. I'm ok with the mechanical stuff but electrical is a bit of a mystery to me so I cant figure out if there's a rectifier issue or not. I'm also not sure how to figure out if there's a short somewhere. I guess a trip to the dealer is needed!!
Old 02-17-2019, 04:15 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Stupid question, but battery isn’t connected backwards? Different battery could have terminals swapped, depending on orientation.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:58 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Todd B
Stupid question, but battery isn’t connected backwards? Different battery could have terminals swapped, depending on orientation.
Yep, I did double check that as well. That could have been a real rookie mistake so I checked myself several times!!
Old 03-03-2019, 06:48 PM
Micah.Berry
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be sure to check the main fuse as well as the starter solenoid. There will be no power at all if the main fuse is blown. If there is some power, like a few lights on the dash, then I would suspect a starter solenoid or starter relay. If it has a solenoid, you could jump the terminals to see if the starter turns. Careful-there will be a sizable spark when you do.

Quick Reply: O/T - Seeking some help for a dead Ducati