Notices

I wanna buy a lift for the garage, thoughts and suggestions solicited

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 06:23 PM
sgjii
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wanna buy a lift for the garage, thoughts and suggestions solicited

I would like my fellow forum member’s input on a new lift for my personal shop.

As some friends already know, I spent most of my cash in 2017 building a 4000sq ft building to house my car hobbies. As I try and pay “cash for toys”, this was a long time coming and has also left me cash poor for my much-desired new automotive lift for my workshop. The bright spot is indoor storage for my classics and a place to work on cars at my leisure.

After saving the last half of 2017 and working hard all year long, this has paid off with the 2018 Year End Bonus! It is time to buy that new lift.

I already have a Bendpak MD-6XP scissor lift that I have had for 7years and she has served me well through restoration projects and daily driver maintenance. The $800 price was super right as a “like new” auction find from a car enthusiast estate, but I have always lacked “center of car” access.

I intend to keep the scissor lift and I want add a 4 Post lift with a capacity of 9000lbs. I have been looking across the spectrum at many brands, types and price points. The only “Con” I have come up with on 4 post vs. 2 Post, is perhaps the lack of ease for a bottom out motor or transmission pull.

I have considered the following brands and I think I have narrowed the field down, but I would like to get input without my bias.

Bendpak, Ranger, Challenger, Titan, Auto Lift (which seems to be one of many names for an import lift fp9k-dx-xlt), Advantage, Nationwide, Atlas, Rotary, Wildfire, Back Yard Buddy and a few I might have missed naming.

My stable includes things as light as VW Scirocco and as heavy as a Silverado 1500 4x4 and things in between, even a side x side UTV and Mahindra Tractor.

Any first-hand experiences to share with quality, usability and price are welcomed.

Once decided, I plan to share my decision and experience with the chosen brand and vendor.

Thanks, Stephen
Old 12-04-2018, 03:30 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

I went with an Greg Smith Atlas baseplate setup due to having 10ft 9" ceilings in the garage and love it. It is a nice complement to the Bendpak scissor lift which I use a lot as well especially for detailing and doing interior work. But when it comes to dropping motors or doing exhaust work the twin post is so much better.

Name:  BtsxAq3.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  923.5 KB
Old 12-04-2018, 04:02 PM
sgjii
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a similar answer to what I have gotten on my other forums. Everybody is suggesting a 2 post as much easier use, access to under car and space in the shop.

I also see you placed a sheet of what looks like Masonite under your Bendpak scissor, just like I did. When I bought the Bendpak at auction, I noticed some grooves cut into the top surface of the concrete from the steel rollers. I did not want to damage my new concrete.

Any brand, quality, feature suggestions for a 2 post? Symmetric or Asymmetric?
Old 12-05-2018, 03:38 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by sgjii
That is a similar answer to what I have gotten on my other forums. Everybody is suggesting a 2 post as much easier use, access to under car and space in the shop.

I also see you placed a sheet of what looks like Masonite under your Bendpak scissor, just like I did. When I bought the Bendpak at auction, I noticed some grooves cut into the top surface of the concrete from the steel rollers. I did not want to damage my new concrete.

Any brand, quality, feature suggestions for a 2 post? Symmetric or Asymmetric?
Asymmetric is much nicer with more room to get in and out of the car. Yeah I used a 1/8" 4x8 sheet of steel to protect the painted concrete floors that I spent countless hours cleaning and grinding.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:30 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan
I went with an Greg Smith Atlas baseplate setup due to having 10ft 9" ceilings in the garage and love it. It is a nice complement to the Bendpak scissor lift which I use a lot as well especially for detailing and doing interior work. But when it comes to dropping motors or doing exhaust work the twin post is so much better.

Love the garage.............do you recommend twin post for storage?

Quick Reply: I wanna buy a lift for the garage, thoughts and suggestions solicited