Notices

A Different Kind of Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 11:28 PM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 34 Posts
Default A Different Kind of Spyder

The wife and I took a little trip to Tuscany the other week, and while I wasn't able to rent a Porsche Spyder, I did managed to swing this:

No, not the GTS on the left. The Fiat Spider 124 on the right.

And while I have a C2S (non-cabrio) at home, I thought you all might appreciate a brief evaluation of the "other" Spider.

I'd read a lot about the little Fiat, how it's a re-skinned Mazda Miata with great fit and finish, and what (the late great) Sergio Marchionne & Co. did to make it feel "authentically" Italian.

After 5 days driving it, I'm inclined to agree. First off, she's pretty, well, bella.

Coming from a 911, the little 124 is almost absurdly small, light, and tight. The cockpit is stylish, but brutally minimalist. Besides two manual leather seats, a nubby little stick shifter, the mutli-media/NAV controls and screen (not bad once we changed the settings to English), and the climate controls, there's...nothing else. No glovebox. No storage compartments. No fancy inlays or dash leather or seat ventilation or driving modes. Just a steering wheel, pedals, and (shockingly, power-adjustable) mirrors. It feels almost as basic as a motorcycle, but in a refreshingly simple and straightforward way.

You can drop the top in about 8 seconds by releasing a single center clamp, and folding it away manually with just one arm. It disappears neatly and effortlessly, storing under a cover with muted "click."

So how'd the Spider drive? Well, you know that maxim that there's nothing more fun than making a slow car go fast? Like that.

My 911 has a bottomless well of power; it's howlingly fast, and handles like a precision-crafted surgical device. From a build standpoint, the Porsche feels like the luxury sports car equivalent of an M1 tank. It indulges my very modest driving skills, intervening electronically to make me feel like a much better driver than I really am. It's either too polite (or Teutonic) to laugh.

The little Italian, on the other hand, makes no pretense at being a real "sports car." It's more of a sporting "fun car" or city car. The little turbocharged 1.4L four squeezes out 160 horsepower and 184 foot-pounds (pound feet?) of torque. Power to the rear wheels is eager, but underwhelming. Like it wants impress you, but can't quite. Nevertheless, the transmission is taut and snicky. The steering is sharp. And the overall effect is light and quick and fun.

And with the top down, the view is simply bellissima.

For a vacation rental (travel light and pack soft luggage!), especially in somewhere like Tuscany, it's the perfect ride. A superb city car—easy to maneuver through tight cobblestone streets—and an awesome backroads explorer. A few bucks more than a less-inspired rental, and IMHO well worth it.

In fact, we had so much fun with it that I've been surfing Autotrader (it's an illness), wondering if a lightly used Italian rag top might be a fun summer stablemate for a German überwagen...
Old 08-06-2018, 02:34 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Great choice - thanks for the idea. Will try it next visit to Italy. Which rental company?
Old 08-06-2018, 05:04 PM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 34 Posts

Hertz! Straight from the lot at Fiumicino Airport in Rome.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:04 PM
ced4jets
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

When I brought mine home a few weeks ago, my wife heard me coming down our road and was waiting in the garage with a big grin. She likes these cars as much as I do.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:00 PM
Feezy
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Wrong thread.

Last edited by Feezy; 04-13-2021 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: A Different Kind of Spyder