Notices

OT: Anyone here have a Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Salj
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts

Forgot to mention that brakes are from the standard F 150. I did a slotted rotors and pad upgrade and it is a big improvement
Old 03-04-2018, 05:59 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

70K for a pick up truck, lol
Buy the Ram Rebel at HALF the price.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:01 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I dont see how that 7.0L rumor becomes a reality with emissions etc - I tried to figure out when they will announce, but no luck

The question is really is this better/same worse than the cayenne for
1. towing my open trailer and racecar + hauling tires and tools (that part is a pain in cayenne)
2. driving 200 miles to tahoe
3. parking at grocery store and costco
4. driving with my dog to go hiking
5. the old home depot run

I wouldnt swap the cayenne out for a regular f150 - just too different in the cool factor

Well they're definitely making the motor. It's gotta find its way into something...
Old 03-04-2018, 06:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

matt
\u are not getting it right
cool factor: would be pull up to fairmont hotel in my dually and just block the drive way.
parking: i had never had issue parking in SF financial district for 8 years. i used the sidewalk, their tow truck cant move it. they tried.
cj has raptor connnection, ring him up. but that's a truck for kids not real man.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:35 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I dont see how that 7.0L rumor becomes a reality with emissions etc - I tried to figure out when they will announce, but no luck

The question is really is this better/same worse than the cayenne for
1. towing my open trailer and racecar + hauling tires and tools (that part is a pain in cayenne)

I wouldnt swap the cayenne out for a regular f150 - just too different in the cool factor
Matt,

The thought of getting a raptor crossed my mind when I was ordering my F150, but in the end I decided no for the following reasons:

1) I don't off road. Kinda like getting a GT3 and never tracking it
2) I couldn't option the raptor with the 3rd seat up front (seating 6 was crucial to fit my family and parents if we all go out together)
3) Towing capacity is less than my 3.5L supercrew
4) lower gas mileage (I DD the truck)
5) dealers and their stupid markups

The only reason I thought about the raptor is purely because it looked cool. In the end, I couldn't justify it. I have to say I really love my F150 supercrew lariat, though. It is better for long family trips than the E350 wagon. 36 gallon tank that takes 87 octane gas too. The con is the size of the truck. I suck at parking it. A 360 camera would be nice, but as you said, it bumps up the price of the car substantially (almost 7k iirc) because of the other packages required.

To answer your questions wrt to what I know about my F150 lariat:

Should be better with F150. The short bed is plenty.

It's better than the E350 wagon. I'll bet it's better than the cayenne too.

easier with the cayenne

F150 wins. So much room in the back seat and they fold up too. Family and dog love the back seat of my Lariat supercrew

F150 wins as well

I personally would much rather have a F150 Lariat over a cayenne. Any day of the week.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:03 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

So, I had 2 of the older raptors, one of which was a roush raptor. Look cool, nice ride. I've since moved on to Tundra's. Had a limited and currently have a tundra trd pro. Tundra's feel way more stable and the towing is better.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:42 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Matt,

The thought of getting a raptor crossed my mind when I was ordering my F150, but in the end I decided no for the following reasons:

1) I don't off road. Kinda like getting a GT3 and never tracking it
2) I couldn't option the raptor with the 3rd seat up front (seating 6 was crucial to fit my family and parents if we all go out together)
3) Towing capacity is less than my 3.5L supercrew
4) lower gas mileage (I DD the truck)
5) dealers and their stupid markups

The only reason I thought about the raptor is purely because it looked cool. In the end, I couldn't justify it. I have to say I really love my F150 supercrew lariat, though. It is better for long family trips than the E350 wagon. 36 gallon tank that takes 87 octane gas too. The con is the size of the truck. I suck at parking it. A 360 camera would be nice, but as you said, it bumps up the price of the car substantially (almost 7k iirc) because of the other packages required.

To answer your questions wrt to what I know about my F150 lariat:

Should be better with F150. The short bed is plenty.

It's better than the E350 wagon. I'll bet it's better than the cayenne too.

easier with the cayenne

F150 wins. So much room in the back seat and they fold up too. Family and dog love the back seat of my Lariat supercrew

F150 wins as well

I personally would much rather have a F150 Lariat over a cayenne. Any day of the week.
This is helpful, I dont DE my RS either so I am likely ok to be a poser here :-)

The issue is getting one today at MSRP, I have a build slot at MSRP after a day of work, local CA dealers think they can get 5k mark ups - no thanks
Old 03-04-2018, 08:42 PM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Audipwr - consider getting a diesel F250 It'll probably be cheaper than the Raptor (70k VS 50K) more reliable, tows better ( 8,000 vs 18,000 pounds), and will last to 1 million miles. Getting a Raptor and not off-roading - so why bother...

I own a F150 (not a Raptor) short bed crew cab. The Raptor makes 510 Ft lbs torque
Pro - short bed makes it easier to park/maneuver
Con - shorter beds make for less stable towing.

I am selling the F150, and getting a F250 Diesel - long bed, W/ 5th wheel towing. Torque on the diesel is 950! (need it to tow my wife's monster dressage horses, and eventually I will buy an enclosed trailer)

Maybe the F250 diesel will be overkill for your usage - I dunno, but diesels are the best for towing - other SUV/engines are a compromise.. Ford is now making a new 3L diesel - I'd hold of on buying that, as they just started making them.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:47 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 29 Posts

On my second. It’s fun silly unique and worthwhile if one needs a truck. I tow a Grady-white haul dogs etc no complaints it’s quite addictive really. Was my daily for the most part until last month picked up an rs3. Raptor much like the gt3, jumping in going for a drive never gets old.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:48 PM
NWFreerider
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned a lot of trucks as I use one as my daily driver and for towing/hauling anything and everything. I bought a Raptor last spring and sold it within 6 months. As many have said, they are not made for towing due to the soft suspension, but even worse than the suspension are the brakes. I commonly tow a boat weighing around 6k with trailer which is well under what the Raptor is rated at. The biggest complaint on Raptor Forums is the mushy brakes, which pretty much suck even when not towing, so I know it wasn't just my truck. Cool truck to be used in the desert or going to Starbucks..... leave the towing to a Duramax.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Duramax : YES
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks

Buying some a diesel to tow an open car trailer seems overkill to me and I am lucky to get to the track 8x per year as is, but the brakes thing is concerning

Sounds like pads may help a bit?
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Not sure if this helps or not - but a neighbor of mine got the new gen Raptor and traded in his prior gen Raptor. Love that truck for the stance, what Ford built if for, etc.

Have looked at getting one a couple times as I had a GMC 1500 - ultimately decided on a 3500 Denali Duramax for a lot of the reason you mentioned above:
- Space for bikes in the back, short beds are not always great for that
- Towing capacity needs and had some uncertainty about the Raptor and how its suspension would do with a longer haul enclosed trailer behind it
- 3500 diesel vs. Raptor for a DD and parking, both equally bad but happy with the one ton thus far and feel it would've been the same with the Raptor

If you do end with the Raptor, please jump it once w/photos
Old 03-04-2018, 08:57 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Best truck I've ever owned. Hands down. Have 22K miles on it since last February and has exceeded all expectations. Great daily and good on the highway and especially in the snow. Drove an hour in a blizzard at 70 mph like it was nothing.

I can't comment on towing as I don't. As far as Costco it's perfect. You won't be disappointed
Old 03-04-2018, 09:03 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, best truck ever for me. Hilarious fun to drive and throw around at speed with all that travel and terrain tires. Plush for a truck because of that 12". It's wide but shorter than my last two trucks (RAM w/6' bed, F250), which were a PITA to park. Fast, comfortable for long trips, kids love it, looks even better dirty, not washed mine since Christmas. And fast.

Quick Reply: OT: Anyone here have a Raptor?