Pro

Received 164 Likes on 77 Posts

For wagons, this is the one to get.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

The new E class is a HUGE step on from the outgoing version. and the 4.0 liter engine is beastly. I really like the car, would like to drive the 63.

I used to to be a huge BMW Fan but the F series lost the plot. So glad I got rid of my F10. Was a terrible car. The F80 M3 failed to excite me even in comp pack form. Have not driven the new G30 fiver though, hope it is better.

The Panamera is nice, but very overpriced. Sized closer to E class but priced like an S. I'd still rock the wagon though. It's pretty sweet.

Also...

Old 12-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I've owned the current and previous generation C63s and C63 respectively and I've driven the previous generation E63 at the AMG driving schools. From these experiences and the reviews of the new E63s, my impression is that the new E63s is wildly fast and has amazing grip and brakes for a car of its size and weight. However, despite AMG's best efforts to overcome physics, a 4,500 pound car simply will never feel like or have the dynamic response of a 3,400 pound car. Thus, while the AMG is likely faster in a straight line than any 911 short of a Turbo, it will not feel nearly as nimble, responsive or fun through the twisties. I would certainly have trouble going back to any AMG now that I have a GTS.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:45 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LnC993
For wagons, this is the one to get.
Panamera Turismo is definitely the Panamera that I would get but if I step back from it and consider options, the Ferrari FF would be my choice over the Panamera Turismo. While no longer offered, and I don’t much care for the Lusso for styling reasons and the V8, a low mileage FF can be picked up for the price of a Panamera Turbo.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:55 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
I neglected to add in my comment that the chassis on E class is a rock. In my wagon I have the panoramic roof and never hear a squeak out of it, and when entering driveways with a steep approach I can turn in an lift one corner of the car off the ground. For a heavy car that is putting out nearly 600 hp and ft lb of torque, it amazes me that this car just doesn’t flex.
The W212? I had two of them and found that chassis to be one of the crudest, most inherently unbalanced and harshest from a sedan. Naturally AMG will improve the balance part, but both rattled and groaned intensely and rattles were/are a huge theme on that model E Class board. My F10 5 rattled and flexed a lot less than the E’s.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:17 PM
popspin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I making the same decision

Another 911 or the E63s/M5? It's really apples and oranges. Do I want a sports car or very hot sedan.
My body groans every time I get in and out of the 2015 911 4S. My E350 is oh so easy! The E350 4matic is my winter car in NY while the P heads to southern FL for the winter. I visit it there frequently.
Driving the E350 is like being on anesthesia. Puts me to sleep. But the new E63s looks really interesting for a sedan. M5 too. But it's a switch in purpose, character, cylinders and weight. P wins there.
P also wins once I settle into the drivers seat and start actually drivIng. I feel like I'm home now. It speaks to me in a way the E just can't. I love being close to the road, being in a smaller lighter more maneuverable vehicle. That extra thousand pounds just can't be totally hidden.
The Panny is just too big for me. Too long. Different gig.
I don't see myself having an SUV, even either of the Porsche models. Again, not my thing.
I am staying open to the possibility of the E63s or M5 and will test drive hem both. I might be smitten.
Your situation may call for the Macan Turbo given the family circumstances. Seems like an exciting option and worthy of serious investigation.
I believe I will end up with another 911. But what other answer did you expect to find on this Board.
popsin
Old 12-10-2017, 08:38 PM
jnolan
Pro

Yes, 2016 is a W212. Not a rattle, creak, squeak, or moan on my car. No flex on acceleration, great car that I would buy again. I'll order a 2018 in a few months.

Originally Posted by K-A

The W212? I had two of them and found that chassis to be one of the crudest, most inherently unbalanced and harshest from a sedan. Naturally AMG will improve the balance part, but both rattled and groaned intensely and rattles were/are a huge theme on that model E Class board. My F10 5 rattled and flexed a lot less than the E’s.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan

Panamera Turismo is definitely the Panamera that I would get but if I step back from it and consider options, the Ferrari FF would be my choice over the Panamera Turismo. While no longer offered, and I don’t much care for the Lusso for styling reasons and the V8, a low mileage FF can be picked up for the price of a Panamera Turbo.
The Lusso comes in both V8 and V12 versions. And I agreed with you on the styling until I saw one in person this morning. Definitely changed my mind.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:59 PM
jnolan
Pro

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

The Lusso comes in both V8 and V12 versions. And I agreed with you on the styling until I saw one in person this morning. Definitely changed my mind.
You are right, I fixated on the V8 and didn’t acknowledge it is available in a V12. I saw the Lusso at car week in Monterey last year, the styling still hasn’t warmed with me. I prefer the FF interior as well, something about the 3 vents in the middle of the dash that just works, but the Lusso definitely has a cleaner interior look.

Quick Reply: Anyone own/driven the '18 AMG E63S?