Notices

Audi TTS (review): A baby 911. Sort of.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 08:55 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Audi TTS (review): A baby 911. Sort of.

I don't think I've written a "review" on this forum, but anyone who's seen me write one on another forum knows that if you make the decision to read on, prepare for a very. long. textbook. You've been warned....

To start, let me say that driving my 991 as it likes to be driven, after not being behind its wheel in several days, reiterated that this is the rare, if only car that has exceeded ownership expectations. It was a dream come true the moment I laid eyes on, then drove it, and driving it again today.... it's like it increases in how much of a dream come true it is. I've never felt so privileged to have a car.

Now, that out of the way, I recently saw an Audi TTS in matte white, and I was so in awe of its crisp beauty that I literally started following it (on foot) like a weirdo. Absolutely gorgeous, and I always hated TT's.

I stopped by an Audi dealer today, and the 991 deserves another plug for its performance there as well.... I tend to get ignored at dealers. Mostly it's a good thing, but occasionally they lose what could've been an interested party. My 911 literally had 4 salesman gather around and gush about it. So needless to say, they threw me the keys to anything I wanted to drive, without even getting my license.

This time, I just was interested in the TTS. It was a 2017, priced around $60K (used). About as much as you'll find the cheapest 991's in the country listed at. It had seemingly every package you can get on that car.

Styling: I already touched on. Beautiful car. Next to the 911 it looks downright fairly basic and average, as it doesn't share that more timelessly organic and smooth sheetmetal, nor exotic proportions, and I think especially the front is too angular to age well. But overall, it's a fun, fresh, funky, simple enough, still sophisticated (especially for such a small car) and sporty look. I really enjoy seeing Porsche and Audi interplay with each other (even VW). There's a longstanding familial heritage there, but they each have entirely their own DNA's.

Interior: Love the seats. And I was SHOCKED at how well Audi took a page out of Porsche's book in giving their small car more headroom for tall drivers than most massive luxury sedans provide. in fact, thanks in large part to its lack of sunroof and rounded roof, I have way more headroom in that than I do an A6, A7 (A7 has terrible headroom) and A8 with sunroofs. It's not 911 exceptional (which is a gift to tall drivers as mine even with a sunroof provides more headroom than almost any other premium car out there, more than huge SUV's short of a Macan and Cayenne), but especially considering how atrocious the R8 headroom is, it was a very nice surprise.

The center "speedo screen" is yet another bit of evidence that those gimmicks are regressive to the quality and vibe of an interior, to me. Firstly, I couldn't find the speedo and RPM gauge while driving, as the default main screen was a hideous massive map. Because nothing exudes soothing luxury or riveting, spirited driving like a giant map view . Finally, when the guy showed me how to change said view and put the RPM tach front and center, it just looked like a cheap pixelated cartoon of a real speedo. I just don't get the digital speedo fad. The real thing in a visually tactile, high quality and timeless form wins every time over a soon-to-be-dated imitation of the real thing- which in this fast-changing world of tech, will look older than anything else on the car in a few short years.

Everything else was fairly nice, quality, simple. My biggest gripe was that the steering wheel doesn't come out far enough. It was the only holdback on an otherwise exceptional use of interior space.

Drive: What's funny is the salesman told me the car has 360 HP. While I was driving it, I thought it didn't feel like the rocket I'd expect 360 boosted horsies on such a small car should feel like.... My 991.1 C2 felt faster, but it was fast enough to make me not even look into it until I got home (and discovered it has 292 HP).

The first thing you notice is how SMALL and nimble it is. The 991 feels like a luxury car compared to it, especially in its width. The TT is so narrow that you almost feel like it's a single person car. And I love that. You feel like you're palming the car (similar feeling I have to the Cayman/Boxster), like it's literally in your hands. Very connective, you can reach out and touch the passenger door. Properly go-kart-ish, more like a baby Cayman than a baby 911. Chucking it around is extremely fun, the chassis feels very tight and stable, the Quattro keeps your confidence level higher than it should be, though sucks a bit of fun out of fishing the tail out (I prefer a RWD dynamic), and there almost isn't a turn or speed you start to feel you aren't willing to throw this car around. The suspension is comfortable, compliant, and fairly stiff. Not as direct and connected as my PASM/H&R 911, but like Porsche sports cars, walks a line most manufacturers can't touch.

Brakes are good, steering very nice. The weak spot of the 991 is its steering feel. I can't say if the TTS steering felt more connected, but there were times I felt it had a more fluid feedback, and there were times when I got back in the 911 that I felt the steering felt superior in terms of it literally going where you guide it.

Transmission (6 speed VAG DCT) is good, as it is in the other MBQ cars. It's certainly no PDK by any measure, but holds its own in its own right. Paddles are kind of a cheap, small and dainty plastic (like M-B paddles).

The VAG MBQ platform is really a work of art. I haven't driven a car on it that isn't well ahead of anything else in its class. From the flawless GTI, to the S3, to the TTS, there's an underlying feeling of balance to MBQ cars that you immediately notice. Which is an accomplishment considering its a FWD base with the engine still slung too far forward.

While the TTS doesn't have nearly the inherent neutrality of a mid engined car like a Cayman, it manages to feel supremely neutral in its own right. Its engine placement loses it a lot of exotic and character points compared to a rear or mid engine, but all things considered, it does as well with what it's got as one can imagine.

Engine: This one is a mixed bag for me, so I'll break it down with pros and cons.

Pros: Great low end powerband, peppy, power when you need it, plenty of power, well balanced for what the chassis and brakes can handle.

Cons: After you drive enough turbo cars, they all start to feel similar if not the same in character and delivery. Slight variations, but you kind of feel like you know the engine already. The sound is artificial and synthetic like turbo cars tend to be, and what you can hear from the engine is of a 4 cylinder. Albeit a deep, pretty nice and burbly 4 cylinder, but it is what it is. The mechanics and clatter that give an engine its character are muddled out, and I don't even know if I'd want to hear it on that engine. I know it's not a fair comparison coming out of a 991.1 with an X Pipe, which is like a symphony in mechanics, but it's probably the one aspect of the car which loses it points in character and uniqueness, at least considering what I'm now acclimated to. I would love to hear the TTRS' 5 cylinder. Like most turbo cars it doesn't beg to be revved out, which makes it less fun and rewarding to drive hard, as/yet the power you need is down low, pretty much right on tap for you (despite some turbo lag), and it builds up speed plenty fast (way too fast) in its own right on public roads anyway. Turbo lag is about standard fair, not too bad and fairly seamless, but it is there, and you find yourself anticipating and acclimating your input around it.

All in all, this car is a pretty great package. What I like about it when I hopped into it from a 911 was how it felt like a toy, go-kart, little block of granite that wants you to chuck it around. What I like about my 911 when getting back into it is how direct and visceral everything feels. The sound it makes is just pure, raw, unadulterated unique flat 6 harmony. While the car feels more luxurious and insulated, somehow it feels less isolated. The best analogy I can think of is that the 911, from its powertrain to suspension to steering to analogue gauges feels more "sharp/metallic/raw," while the TT feels and sounds more "plastic/artificial/digitized." In ways the 911 feels charmingly and inspiringly more old school, and in some ways it feels more catered to coddling you and being a modern luxury sports car.

Again, the interplay between Porsche and Audi is a very interesting, and a frankly often a beautiful one.

Is this a baby 911? Sort of. A baby Cayman? More sort of. It loses major points by being a far less exotic and enticing engine-placement setup, but maintains points for using what it does well enough to perhaps satisfy those who want a Porsche sports car, want a brand new car, but are working on a budget more fitting with said TTS. Now that the 718 has given up its soul by way of a terrible sounding 4 cylinder, the Audi doesn't give up as much in terms of sound compared to it (the 718 sounds a bit more exotic thanks to being a boxer 4, but neither are particularly rewarding in the audio department). Yet in terms of drive, the 718 is still the flagship in the automotive industry when it comes to overall balance, if you ask me.

And there it is. Hope you made it from that wall of text in one piece. I recommend checking these out if you're in the market for a sports car that fits within its budget, or looking for a fun second car to compliment your fun primary P Car.

Name:  QTXH35f.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  387.3 KB
Name:  z5VFklk.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  335.9 KB
Name:  XRAlumY.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  382.5 KB

Last edited by K-A; 10-30-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:08 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Great article! Many things you articulated I was like - yes - that's what I thought but didn't know how to testify.

The TTRS is all these things with more lag and more power. on the street the brakes feel the same but surely the RS would perform better on the track in terms of braking. The 5 cylinder sounds similar to a diesel but it's not awful. The RS also; and sadly, is a car designed for 0-60 and 1/4 mile magazine times....which are impressive.

Also - since the entry level P cars are now 4 cyl turbos... it loses some differentiation against the likes of the TT.

Last edited by R_Rated; 10-30-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:34 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Great article! Many things you articulated I was like - yes - that's what I thought but didn't know how to testify.

The TTRS is all these things with more lag and more power. on the street the brakes feel the same but surely the RS would perform better on the track in terms of braking. The 5 cylinder sounds similar to a diesel but it's not awful. The RS also; and sadly, is a car designed for 0-60 and 1/4 mile magazine times....which are impressive.

Also - since the entry level P cars are not 4 cyl turbos... it loses some differentiation against the likes of the TT.

The boxter and Cayman are now 4 cyl

2.5-litre four-cylinder turbocharged boxer engine producing 257 kW (350 hp) and 420 Nm
Old 10-30-2017, 09:35 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred2
The boxter and Cayman are now 4 cyl

2.5-litre four-cylinder turbocharged boxer engine producing 257 kW (350 hp) and 420 Nm
I meant to type "now" and not - "not".... whoops.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:41 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by R_Rated

Also - since the entry level P cars are not 4 cyl turbos... it loses some differentiation against the likes of the TT.
Thanks!

I hear ya. It's too bad the 5 cylinder sounds like a diesel. Though I imagine it must drive astoundingly well. The 718 vs TT becomes a closer game than it was before in the soulfulness department as the 718 gives up a lot thanks to the sound and delivery style of its new motor. I'd even say the bland basic quietness of the TTS could be considered less offensive than the louder and slightly more interesting (thanks to being a Boxer 4), yet monotonously annoying after a while Boxer 4. Yet of course, in terms of fundamental performance, drive and feel, I will say the TTS wasn't near the same plane as the 718, not even close. But I'd say out of what I've driven within the $60K price range (albeit this one is used), it's about if not certainly as close as you'll get. I'd get a 981 Cayman S over both of them, any day (and even save money), or more ideally a 981 Cayman GTS (albeit it's more expensive, for good reason) which imo is as close to tossable, incredible sounding go-karty tiny-car perfection as you can get.

It definitely did feel mostly geared for straight line acceleration. It builds up speeds well. It's odd in that it doesn't beg to be tossed, you have to remind yourself to toss it because it's so fun. It's not a raw feeling car to any degree, which is why it doesn't engage you by its character to be driven hard. It instead engages you by its inherent size to be driven hard.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:44 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Also - I do like how the new TT is like a miniature R8. Audi was brilliant to have a halo car with attributed spread across cars that "regular working folk" can afford.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:45 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

At that price range (eg, ~80k) I’d rather have a C7 Grandsport, as neither the TT RS or Vette are true Cayman or 911 competitors based on engine placement.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:45 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
Thanks!

I hear ya. The 718 vs TT becomes a closer game than it was before in the soulfulness department as the 718 gives up a lot thanks to the sound and delivery style of its new motor. I'd even say the bland basic quietness of the TTS could be considered less offensive than the louder and slightly more interesting (thanks to being a Boxer 4), yet monotonously annoying after a while Boxer 4. Yet of course, in terms of fundamental performance, drive and feel, I will say the TTS wasn't near the same plane as the 718, not even close. But I'd say out of what I've driven within the $60K price range (albeit this one is used), I'd say it's about if not certainly as close as you'll get.

It definitely did feel mostly geared for straight line acceleration. It builds up speeds well. It's odd in that it doesn't beg to be tossed, you have to remind yourself to toss it because it's so fun. It's not a raw feeling car to any degree, which is why it doesn't engage you by its character to be driven hard. It instead engages you by its inherent size to be driven hard.
The TT is a "cute" car that does reasonably well in magazines and on the internet. THAT sells cars
Old 10-30-2017, 09:48 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
At that price range (eg, ~80k) I’d rather have a C7 Grandsport, as neither the TT RS or Vette are true Cayman or 911 competitors based on engine placement.
Me too - but the vettes are 'mericn and not cute like these. TT's are for yuppy housewives that don't need to have a kid hauler when the Aupair is with the kids.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:51 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Drive a a 718S back to back with the current TT RS. The differences are self evident. On track I have actually witnessed the brake pads on a TT RS disintegrate.

The 718 has a brilliant chassis that shines in comparison. I haven't driven the new 718 GTS but I suspect it will up the ante even more.

Saying that good write up.

Baby 911...........not really
Old 10-30-2017, 09:53 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Is it REALLY $80K? For a TTS?

I didn't even look up the actual MSRP. I just assumed $60K which sits about right for this car.

Agreed, it's no 911 or Cayman, not even close. But seemed to uphold its merit on being good little sibling.

The Vette is a different kind of car entirely if you ask me. Performance wise, it absolutely competes with the 911 much better, but feel and vibe is just a lot different.

Originally Posted by randr
Drive a a 718S back to back with the current TT RS. The differences are self evident. On track I have actually witnessed the brake pads on a TT RS disintegrate.

The 718 has a brilliant chassis that shines in comparison. I haven't driven the new 718 GTS but I suspect it will up the ante even more.

Saying that good write up.

Baby 911...........not really
I agree, the 718 S, aside from its sound, is the best sports car package I've ever driven. Everything works together flawlessly. And I don't use that word lightly. Absolutely flawlessly.

And thank you. I definitely don't mean "baby 911" in the literal sense as I agree 100% in reality and technicality with what you and the above poster stated.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:26 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Is it REALLY $80K? For a TTS?

I didn't even look up the actual MSRP. I just assumed $60K which sits about right for this car.

Agreed, it's no 911 or Cayman, not even close. But seemed to uphold its merit on being good little sibling.

The Vette is a different kind of car entirely if you ask me. Performance wise, it absolutely competes with the 911 much better, but feel and vibe is just a lot different.

I agree, the 718 S, aside from its sound, is the best sports car package I've ever driven. Everything works together flawlessly. And I don't use that word lightly. Absolutely flawlessly.

And thank you. I definitely don't mean "baby 911" in the literal sense as I agree 100% in reality and technicality with what you and the above poster stated.
Lol car review without even looking at the sticker price.

Conclusion: "One hell of a machine for $60K."
Revised conclusion: "Leaves much to be desired at $80K..."

I think you're right though. Pretty sure they're sub $60K. No idea where the other posted is coming up with $80K.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:36 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by dkmesa
Lol car review without even looking at the sticker price.

Conclusion: "One hell of a machine for $60K."
Revised conclusion: "Leaves much to be desired at $80K..."

I think you're right though. Pretty sure they're sub $60K. No idea where the other posted is coming up with $80K.
Looked it up, it starts at $59.3K. Phew.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:59 PM
WCE
User

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

I actually owned a 2010 TTS for a couple of years. Did the APR ECU upgrade for supposedly around 300hp and the car had the 6 speed DCT. It was reasonably quick but had the worst off-idle turbo lag ever which made me use launch control frequently to build revs (and eventually made the clutch engagement jerky). Enjoyed it on the track a few times and could definitely hold my own and the very safe handling made it easy to drive. Probably the only thing that bugged me about it was the 4 cylinder sputter on startup which they've probably improved.
Ended up getting STOLEN and I replaced it with a 991 Carrera which wasn't that much quicker but sure impressed the hell out of everyone. The TTS was actually the more comfortable cruiser and I used it more often because I was less concerned about it or people's opinions!
Sort of missed it but then I sold the 991 and bought an R8 which I use even less so now I sort of miss the 991! (grass is always greener...)
Old 10-30-2017, 03:07 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Meh.

We've owned 5 Audi TTs since 1999. This includes a '10TTS and '12TTRS.

Bottom line: A 718 is worth the extra money.

The 5-pot engine in the 'RS is a marvel with very little off-idle lag and the second-best sounding road-car engine I've heard with my own ears. That is, of course, subjective, but anyone who thinks it sounds like a diesel has damaged hearing and needs to see a specialist.

Problems with RS's brakes have grown in the telling. Except for the squealing.

Yes, lag in the 4-pot motors is ridiculous.

The problems with the Mk2 and 3 TTs are:
- they are stupidly and unnecessarily stiff
- the seats are crap and cheaply built
- the programming of the software is thoughtless (from DSG to infotainment.)
- it's based upon a tweaked econobox platform, not a sports car platform: nose heavy, suspension limitations, etc.

The Mk1 TTs were better in all regards but the last. But, of course the Mk2 and 3 are better in all objective measures that you see in magazines.

Quick Reply: Audi TTS (review): A baby 911. Sort of.