Notices

Audi TTS (review): A baby 911. Sort of.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 03:20 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

The TTS is a great car, but I decided for a daily driver that I'd just save some money - I went with the Golf R, which has the same drivetrain.

But yes, it doesn't sound great. Granted, my 991.1 S has been parked for the winter for 3 weeks now, so I'm starting to think the Golf R sounds pretty good again as the faded memories of the 911's amazing sound disappear from recent memory
Old 10-30-2017, 04:51 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
The TTS is a great car, but I decided for a daily driver that I'd just save some money - I went with the Golf R, which has the same drivetrain.

But yes, it doesn't sound great. Granted, my 991.1 S has been parked for the winter for 3 weeks now, so I'm starting to think the Golf R sounds pretty good again as the faded memories of the 911's amazing sound disappear from recent memory
How do you like your R? I got a GTI for my DD and have some qualms with it. Mainly the revs slow to drop and turbo lag. The soundaktor sound coming from the speakers is a little silly since it is sometimes quieter outside of the car than inside the car.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Is it REALLY $80K? For a TTS?

I didn't even look up the actual MSRP. I just assumed $60K which sits about right for this car.

Agreed, it's no 911 or Cayman, not even close. But seemed to uphold its merit on being good little sibling.

The Vette is a different kind of car entirely if you ask me. Performance wise, it absolutely competes with the 911 much better, but feel and vibe is just a lot different.

Originally Posted by dkmesa
Lol car review without even looking at the sticker price.

Conclusion: "One hell of a machine for $60K."
Revised conclusion: "Leaves much to be desired at $80K..."

I think you're right though. Pretty sure they're sub $60K. No idea where the other posted is coming up with $80K.
Originally Posted by K-A
Looked it up, it starts at $59.3K. Phew.
Try buying a TT RS for $59.3K.

Similarly, try buying a Cayman for $55.3K or a Cayman S for $67K.

It's just not happening. Those are MSRP for base cars with no options.

You option a few popular selections and you're easily at $75K for the TT RS.

(And by the way, the 2018 TT RS starts at $64.9K. https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-tt-rs)
Old 10-30-2017, 05:14 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt_and
How do you like your R? I got a GTI for my DD and have some qualms with it. Mainly the revs slow to drop and turbo lag. The soundaktor sound coming from the speakers is a little silly since it is sometimes quieter outside of the car than inside the car.
Overall, I really like it. I had two MKVI GTI's previously as DD's, and I feel the R is a nice upgrade over them.

I agree tho, a few issues for sure. The DSG is slow and unresponsive. Soundaktor sounds kind of silly, but I have it turned down to 50%, and I have the exhaust valves open all the time via VCDS.

Also, lots of understeer!

On the upside. It's very fast, especially with a JB4 piggyback. I think in a straight line it'd be able to keep up to my 991.1 S reasonably well.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:19 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I think in a straight line it'd be able to keep up to my 991.1 S reasonably well.
no chance haha
Old 10-30-2017, 05:32 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
no chance haha
What does the 991.1 S run in the 1/4 mile? I've never looked it up.

I'm not saying a stock Golf R would keep up, it absolutely wouldn't - but mine isn't stock
Old 10-30-2017, 05:34 PM
R_Rated
Banned

I'm not saying a stock Golf R would keep up, it absolutely wouldn't - but mine isn't stock
~11.7 to 12 with PDK and launch.

It would be even more brutal 0-60 but the Golf can get out of it's own way once it's up and running. The Haldex system bogs too much from a dig.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:39 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Try buying a TT RS for $59.3K.

Similarly, try buying a Cayman for $55.3K or a Cayman S for $67K.

It's just not happening. Those are MSRP for base cars with no options.

You option a few popular selections and you're easily at $75K for the TT RS.

(And by the way, the 2018 TT RS starts at $64.9K. https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-tt-rs)
OP said he drove the TTS. Best I can tell, it starts low $50's and fully tops out at $60K, which makes sense given the RS' base price starts around there.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:39 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
~11.7 to 12 with PDK and launch.

It would be even more brutal 0-60 but the Golf can get out of it's own way once it's up and running. The Haldex system bogs too much from a dig.
Yeah, PDK is faster for sure. Any stats on 7 MT? I know it's not apples-to-apples, I was merely stating in my particular case... 7 MT C2S vs. DSG Golf R, modded, is a fair race.

Will find out in the spring, haven't had a chance to do this comparison yet.

Anyway, not intended as a comparison, the 911 is leagues ahead in virtually every measurable way.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:02 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Yeah, PDK is faster for sure. Any stats on 7 MT? I know it's not apples-to-apples, I was merely stating in my particular case... 7 MT C2S vs. DSG Golf R, modded, is a fair race.

Anyway, not intended as a comparison, the 911 is leagues ahead in virtually every measurable way.
shooting from the hip but manual is likely about .3 seconds slower to 1/2 mile and to 60.

Comparing modded cars is a little frivolous as you pointed out. A stage 3 (bigger turbo)Golf R could be drag racing competition but I don't know. FWIW - if I didn't need a highway cruiser the Golf R would be my daily. I'm in love with that car and think it's a brilliant car for local people hauling with an extremely high fun factor for driving - to hell with times.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:01 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the 6MT in my GTI and regret it all the time. From what I've read, the DSG is the way to go but I wanted to have something fun with my DD I went with a Manual. For my 911 I wanted PDK since Porsche is so proud of it and for its performance. Boy did I get it backwards... VW made the GTI/R with the manual gearbox into an economy car. The shifts have to be painfully slow to get it to drive smoothly. I'm glad I didn't get the R since it has the same gearbox and I would just have spent more money for an equally disappointing experience. You did it right, manual for the 911, DSG on the R.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:15 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
I actually owned a 2010 TTS for a couple of years. Did the APR ECU upgrade for supposedly around 300hp and the car had the 6 speed DCT. It was reasonably quick but had the worst off-idle turbo lag ever which made me use launch control frequently to build revs (and eventually made the clutch engagement jerky). Enjoyed it on the track a few times and could definitely hold my own and the very safe handling made it easy to drive. Probably the only thing that bugged me about it was the 4 cylinder sputter on startup which they've probably improved.
Ended up getting STOLEN and I replaced it with a 991 Carrera which wasn't that much quicker but sure impressed the hell out of everyone. The TTS was actually the more comfortable cruiser and I used it more often because I was less concerned about it or people's opinions!
Sort of missed it but then I sold the 991 and bought an R8 which I use even less so now I sort of miss the 991! (grass is always greener...)
Hah! Funny how that works.

Thats awesome. LOVE the GTI, and I imagine the R must be the ideal DD. Would love one to compliment the 911.

High 11’s at around 118 MPH. A few ticks slower with manual.

Originally Posted by dkmesa
OP said he drove the TTS. Best I can tell, it starts low $50's and fully tops out at $60K, which makes sense given the RS' base price starts around there.
Yep, looks like some confusion between S and RS. I was even confused after the SA confusingly signified it’s an RS with “360 HP.” Looks like even I had faulty info when I quoted the TTS price earlier. The TTS indeed as you said starts at $53K. I built mine for $54.5K by leaving out the fluff techtainment “connect” crap. Great value at that price (if you’re looking for a car like this), but I would indeed stretch myself to a base, very low optioned Cayman instead. It’s just an entirely different class, brand and experience of vehicle.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:34 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Great review but for the money, I prefer an HFS 911 rather than a new Audi
Old 10-30-2017, 11:53 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Great review but for the money, I prefer an HFS 911 rather than a new Audi
Oh man, no freaking contest. I prefer an HFS 911 over anything, lol. Literally, as that's where I put my own money.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:59 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Oh man, no freaking contest. I prefer an HFS 911 over anything, lol. Literally, as that's where I put my own money.
Likewise

Quick Reply: Audi TTS (review): A baby 911. Sort of.