Notices

Replicars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Replicars?

Not 996 related, but was wondering what people think of these. A mention of a 356 replica in another thread generated my question. I've always hated them. The MGTD's I could spot a mile away, and don't get me started on those "Excalibur" monstrosities. (I drove my friends MGA before I could drive, owned a '68 B for 23 years, so they were my first automotive love, right along with the brand new '66 911 that the Dentist up the street bought.)

However, the 356 seems to be not only acceptable to me, but desirable. Maybe because it's VW underpinnings aren't that much different than the original design. Of course you can even put a P engine in them. And of course they cost a fraction of the real thing.

Good friend had a beautiful 356 coupe, in concours condition, but he was literally afraid to drive it. As beautiful as it was, I could understand his reluctance. He sold it because all it did was sit in his garage, between car shows. Obviously a replica avoids this problem.

I was close to buying a speedster kit about 20 years ago, but decided I had enough on my plate at the time. I'd buy a completed one if the price was right (although I'd need to find a place to park it!).

What do others think?
Old 09-24-2017, 10:40 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Personally I dont like the idea of driving a fake car.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:36 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
Personally I dont like the idea of driving a fake car.
Well, I get that, but if you think of a replica car as a "tribute" car, maybe it's a little more palatable. We used to have a Lambo Countach replica built on a Fiero. I never held it out as anything but a replica - what's the point in trying to fool anybody? But, think about the scenario in OP's post - there comes a point where a car is just a statue because it's too valuable to drive, much less "enjoy".

We used the Countach replica to promote the Kansas City Automotive Museum when we were first promoting the museum concept (before the museum opened). We would take it to car shows and events where we would have an info booth. We would let people sit in the car and have their pictures taken. Over the 3 years we used it, we had thousands of people sit in that car - all ages, sizes and shapes. People would line up 30 deep to wait their turn. Some "experts" would walk up and say "that's a fake" or "ha, it's just a Fiero". Then 5 minutes later, same guy would be sitting in it cheesing it up while his buddy took a cell phone pic.

The ultimate payoff was before the museum opened and we were meeting with executives from the Kansas City Royals about doing a car show at Kaufman Stadium. Since we were still just a "virtual" museum, we had minimal traction or reputation with them. For some reason, the Countach replica came up, and one of the executives' eyes lit up. He pulled out his cell phone and there was a picture of our stupid, fake car with his little boy sitting proudly behind the wheel. That brought us instant credibility. Now, you tell me, do ya think that would have ever happened with a real Countach? We wouldn't have let the huddled masses within 3 feet of a real Countach, much less let a 5 year old kid sit in it.

I would drive my sons to their youth sports games and we'd get flocked to by the kids. Same thing - they all got a minute to sit behind the wheel for a pic. That fake car brought a lot of very genuine joy to thousands of people. So, I have a real soft spot in my heart for replica cars. As long as you have the right attitude, they have a very special and legitimate spot in the automotive universe.

Last edited by FRUNKenstein; 09-24-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:42 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Old 09-24-2017, 04:42 PM
jandackson
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 96 Posts

I was seriously considering the 550 Spyder kit but desired to spend the same amount on my dream of a 911. Now that I have it, the 550 or the 908 from Beck looks like a future project. Seen both in person and they are very well done.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:38 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I admire a nicely done replica, **** 'em if they cant take a joke.

I put the Beck cars in similar regard to Factory Five or Superformance AC/Daytona cars. Iconic styles that are rare and/or expensive but can be re-created reasonably, so, why not. When a similar look and feel can be had for 10% of the authentic piece you're gonna have imitators.

I have wanted a Daytona/Vette since Miami Vice. Up to about several years ago you could always find a few listed for sale anywhere from $10-25K now they are scarce as hens teeth. Where have they all gone? I suspect people are taking these conversions from the 80's and kicking up the levels of work and I suspect you will see some nice 365 knock-offs in a pro-touring style with modern goodies and a price closing in on 10% of a million dollar car.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:48 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

I think replica/tribute cars are great, and can even be cool, so long as the owner has the integrity to represent it as such.

In my experience with the 996; most people who approach me about the car are not knowledgeable about sports cars in general. I can tell, because the question I'm often asked in grocery store parking lots is somewhere along the lines of "Is that a real Porsche?" So that's the joy of having a real Porsche, albeit not the one everyone wants, hardly anyone I speak to "in the wild" knows this.

That's the thing with the replica - is when someone comes up to you and asks the same question, the owner has to be honest enough to say "no." It's certainly more honorable than having a 528i re-badge'd as an M5.

P.S. I liked your story, kcattorney. I think this is a great case for a replica vs. the real thing.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:05 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

^Exactly!
When I'm asked, I say it's a replica of a 57 356 Speedster with a bigger motor and four wheel disc brakes...I grew up driving early VW's and enjoy knowing that I can fix anything and everything myself.

Very affordable and a hell of a lot of fun to drive!
Old 09-24-2017, 06:59 PM
jandackson
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
^Exactly!
When I'm asked, I say it's a replica of a 57 356 Speedster with a bigger motor and four wheel disc brakes...I grew up driving early VW's and enjoy knowing that I can fix anything and everything myself.

Very affordable and a hell of a lot of fun to drive!
BINGO! That is exactly the purpose of a relicar. To be realistic, having fun in a 550 Spyder or 356 is only
possible in a kit car. Plus, you build ot
yourself so it is entirely yours!
Old 09-24-2017, 08:30 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
I put the Beck cars in similar regard to Factory Five or Superformance AC/Daytona cars. Iconic styles that are rare and/or expensive but can be re-created reasonably, so, why not. When a similar look and feel can be had for 10% of the authentic piece you're gonna have imitators.
+1

Originally Posted by 808Bill
^Exactly!
When I'm asked, I say it's a replica of a 57 356 Speedster with a bigger motor and four wheel disc brakes...I grew up driving early VW's and enjoy knowing that I can fix anything and everything myself.....Very affordable and a hell of a lot of fun to drive!
+1. Love that speedster replica! If I didn't have a 914 in the garage getting restored at the moment, I'd give serious thought to one of those!
Old 09-24-2017, 09:02 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought an early beck 550 spyder that someone had started a restoration on and never finished . I built a Porsche 914 motor out to 2.4 litres ( Keith black p&c and stroker crank, 911 fan , webbers , berg cam
Big valve heads , fully balanced , lw flywheel, berg 5 speed box ) and fitted boxster s brakes and a heap of other tweaks .
It was an absolute blast to drive , especially on the track .
I sold it to a relative with the caveat that if he wanted to sell it , I had right of first refusal .

I secretly hope every day for that phone call .

Last edited by Vancouver996; 10-02-2017 at 02:12 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:07 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Beck has a coupe mold coming out soon.
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...f3&oe=5A561456

Last edited by 808Bill; 09-25-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:36 PM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I started this tread, and 808Bill's car is what inspired my post. Beauty!
Old 09-27-2017, 03:12 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Southern Man
I started this tread, and 808Bill's car is what inspired my post. Beauty!
Thank you!
Old 09-27-2017, 04:08 PM
albaran
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a picture of my wife's 996 and my Spyder 550 replica that I built. The car is a blast to drive and I drive it everywhere. You couldn't do that with a real one and you will probably never see a real one on the street. Even at Porsche gatherings, it gets the most attention and photos. I tell everyone that it is a replica and they seem to be ok with that.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Replicars?