Notices

Replicars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 01:02 PM
928JET
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We can't build replica 356 in AU's anymore of a shortened vw floor as its illegal to cut down cars now. Its classed as a ICV ( individually constructed car) and and that means a hell of a lot of engineering and everything a new car has it must to in order to comply..

That means that a old replica that was build plated and regoed pre dating these laws is valuable..is collectable. The 356 is one I'd love to own, but a sweet 60s beetle with safari windows and a rag top would be a toy I can still see me building up. I sold my 69 dub the other year and still miss it..
Old 11-12-2017, 06:51 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

I am a fan of replica cars and am looking at doing a 356 in the future.
I built a factory five cobra and absolutely love it. The feeling of accomplishment I feel when driving it far exceeds anything I have ever felt in a car I bought. Sure it is not a million dollar plus original nor do I ever try to pass it off as one. Mine is more restomod style anyways with a coyote crate motor and 18" Wheels so it doesn't try to imitate a true '65 Cobra and I rarely get asked if it is "real". If it were I wouldn't drive it like I do. If people look down on it because it is "fake" that is fine. They are entitled to their opinion. Not everyone has the skill to build a car from a pile of parts. I've got a custom built car exactly how i want it with 470hp in a 2500lb car with no traction control or drivers aids that will do 0-60 in 3.7s and handle beautifully. Can't wipe the smile off my face every time I take it out.
Building a Porsche replica will be a different challenge and I am looking forward to it. They are the ultimate DIY projects.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Replicars?