Notices

Trade advice needed

Old 08-06-2017, 08:15 PM
GTSBoneDoc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trade advice needed

Hi all,

I own a '15 TTS and a '15 GT3. I am currently on the fence about trading my TTS for either a Huracan or an R8 v10 Plus.

I do daily drive my TTS in the northeast except when it snows (I could but have safer options).

My questions are:

1) would you guys trade the TTS for those?

2) If so would you go for a Huracan (pre-owned, out of warranty soon, 3k miles) or the new R8 V10 plus, (5k miles, warranty until 2020)? The Huracan's looks really appeal to me but the absence of warranty and potential depreciation do worry me.

Thank you
Old 08-07-2017, 11:21 AM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Disclaimer, I haven't owned any of the cars being discussed.

But, there is a couple more questions that need to be asked here:
1) If you did trade your TTS for either of the cars, would you being DDing what you traded it in on?
2) When buying a car of the caliber that you are considering, it is more of an emotional decision on which one you really want than logical. So consider, if there was no other factor, what does the inner child in you really prefer? The Audi or the Lambo?

Both the Audi and the Lambo are going to depreciate. For reference, both R8 and Gallardo models of roughly the same years are at approximately the same price on the used market. Although the Gallardo is a little more expensive for the younger models, but that is probably due to the higher initial price. Now for the age old saying, if you're worried about maintenance costs, then you probably shouldn't be buying that car anyway. But I can understand how that is a factor. Well obviously, the Audi is going to under warranty for some time now, so it's not a big of an issue there. If they were both out of warranty, I would guess the Audi is probably going to be slightly less expensive to maintain. Lambo parts and maintenance carry a premium simply because of the brand. If you are going to be DDing one or the other, I would probably go with the R8. It's a little tamer than the Lambo, so more DD friendly. Overall though, I'd say go with your gut on this one. Personally if I were going to DD it, I'd go R8. Otherwise I'd go Lambo. But would I trade an Audi TTS on them? Heck yeah! Or, if you mean a Porsche Turbo S, then I probably wouldn't trade it on the R8. I might trade it on the Lambo, simply for the experience. Anyway, that's all IMHO.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:36 PM
GTSBoneDoc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fastcars914
Disclaimer, I haven't owned any of the cars being discussed.

But, there is a couple more questions that need to be asked here:
1) If you did trade your TTS for either of the cars, would you being DDing what you traded it in on?
2) When buying a car of the caliber that you are considering, it is more of an emotional decision on which one you really want than logical. So consider, if there was no other factor, what does the inner child in you really prefer? The Audi or the Lambo?

Both the Audi and the Lambo are going to depreciate. For reference, both R8 and Gallardo models of roughly the same years are at approximately the same price on the used market. Although the Gallardo is a little more expensive for the younger models, but that is probably due to the higher initial price. Now for the age old saying, if you're worried about maintenance costs, then you probably shouldn't be buying that car anyway. But I can understand how that is a factor. Well obviously, the Audi is going to under warranty for some time now, so it's not a big of an issue there. If they were both out of warranty, I would guess the Audi is probably going to be slightly less expensive to maintain. Lambo parts and maintenance carry a premium simply because of the brand. If you are going to be DDing one or the other, I would probably go with the R8. It's a little tamer than the Lambo, so more DD friendly. Overall though, I'd say go with your gut on this one. Personally if I were going to DD it, I'd go R8. Otherwise I'd go Lambo. But would I trade an Audi TTS on them? Heck yeah! Or, if you mean a Porsche Turbo S, then I probably wouldn't trade it on the R8. I might trade it on the Lambo, simply for the experience. Anyway, that's all IMHO.
Thank you for the response.

Great feedback.

First, I meant a 911 Turbo S haha not an Audi TT-S. For some reason, even though the R8 looks awesome, it doesn't get me that excited. The Huracan does. I probably won't end up daily driving particularly if it is the Lambo though frankly, I probably wouldn't daily an R8 either.

Somehow the Lambo, objectively a worse car than the R8 (less practical, slower, not as nice an interior) really got me excited. I do worry about the attention and it is a bit of a poseur car....
Old 08-08-2017, 01:09 AM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You're most welcome. I wouldn't worry too much about the attention a car gets, or how poseur it is. If you like the car, that's all that matters. IMHO I think the TTS is probably a better car performance and handling wise than the R8 or the Lambo. But sometimes, one wants a change. If your gut is telling you to go Lambo vs the R8, and that's what gets the blood pumping, then that's what I would go for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trade advice needed