Notices

OT: Canadian moving to NY or CT???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 04:39 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OT: Canadian moving to NY or CT???

Hi,

I'm posting this question here as I generally tend to get better, honest feedback from like minded members than other forums.

Work is relocating us from Ontario, Canada to Purchase, NY. Having never been to the area (other than NYC and Long Island) I'm wondering if anyone can suggest where to even start looking?? I understand that the general area has some of the most expensive real estate in all of the U.S. but the market seems to be really depressed and prices are falling. Should I buy or rent for a year?? Should I be considering NY state or Connecticut?? I will be working with a relocation agent but I thought I should have a better idea before our first meeting.

My budget is relatively modest as we don't want to bring over our savings due to the poor value of the CDN dollar. I'm budgeting upto $5000USD/mth for either rent or mortgage/taxes/insurance.

Here are my criteria:

1. Ideally, 30min commute to Purchase, NY. I'm willing to commute up to 1hr as long as it's consistent. My current commute takes 45min when it's 'quiet' but can be easily over 2hrs during peak traffic.

2. Top rated schools. My son is going into grade 6 and has a learning (reading) disability so support for him is essential.

3. Non rural environment. I now most people want a big house in the country with a big yard (and even bigger garage for all the Porsche's) but that's just not us. I currently live in a town of 100K and feel isolated. However, where we live now is relatively far and inconvenient to travel to a big city (Toronto) so I'm hoping that being an hour or so from NYC by train will help alleviate that issue. In which case we would consider smaller towns -especially if it provides access to great driving roads!

Thanks for your advice!!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:52 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

1. Rent. Closing costs in Westchester will kill you. Purchase prices in your radius in CT are higher. $5k a month will get you somewhere acceptable.
2. Search by school district rating. Then see what programs they have for kids with LDs. The quality can vary a lot - there are a few areas you don't want to be in.
3. Then check the train schedule for convenience to the city.
4. Most rush hour commuting is to a main train hub from points farther out. This can turn a 10 minute drive into an hour of hell. If you can reverse this your life will be better.

With 2 and 4 in mind, I'd start looking at Harrison or Rye. I'm farther north - and you wouldn't want to commute from up here.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:59 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Given the current "climate" in this country now, I think you are moving in the wrong direction. Sorry for the throw away comment just my knee jerk reaction. Whenever we are are on our property in Nova Scotia, I am happy to be in Canada.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:38 PM
alexl911
Pro

I can understand your comment but things will change.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:33 PM
Jlewis1436
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Taxes in CT ARE TERRIBLE! Property tax on your cars, high taxes on gas, etc etc....

There are SOME areas on the fringe of Westchester County (NY) which are nice and less costly because it's not Westchester. Like above, schools sometimes are the make or break.

If I was looking in CT and wanted urban, I would look in Stamford. I'm not sure on the schools there, but it may fit some of what you are looking for. I can't think of any towns in Westchester that would have that urban feeling except White Plains. I'm not sure on the schools.

Good luck with your search
Old 05-26-2017, 04:44 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Let's just say I wouldn't put my kids in school in either of the two places you suggested.
They are not quite Yonkers, but still not somewhere I'd send my progeny...
Old 05-26-2017, 04:50 PM
Jlewis1436
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan A
Let's just say I wouldn't put my kids in school in either of the two places you suggested.
They are not quite Yonkers, but still not somewhere I'd send my progeny...
Finding "urban" and good schools here isn't easy.

I don't know the systems at that end of the state. I pay crazy taxes for my size house here in CT just so my kids can go to top rated public schools. My daughter's elementary school was top 50 in the US. For that, my smaller house and high taxes are worth every penny.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:38 PM
alexl911
Pro

Originally Posted by Jlewis1436

I don't know the systems at that end of the state. I pay crazy taxes for my size house here in CT just so my kids can go to top rated public schools. My daughter's elementary school was top 50 in the US. For that, my smaller house and high taxes are worth every penny.
Yes, I'm starting to realize this. Living near a 'good school' is a foreign concept to Canadians. Any 'decent' areas are going to have good schools. I find it really strange that really, really expensive neighborhoods can have poor schools?!
Old 05-26-2017, 08:49 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Look at the places I suggested first.
Then try Scarsdale or Bronxville (not the Bronx) if they don't suit.
After that you'll have a longer commute for a neighborhood.

Hillaryville might suit, but it's going with traffic, which will get old.
Greenwich (which does have good schools) is too expensive given your budget.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:52 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jlewis1436

My property taxes are ungodly and I'm still a solid 90 minutes one way from the office in the city - between driving, the train and the subway. But I'm not in a shoebox, it's a decent school district and my neighbors can't see me washing the dishes...

Tristate is expensive. You want cheaper move south.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:02 PM
alexl911
Pro

Just to clarify -don't need to commute to NYC, only to Purchase, NY which is right on the CT border. It would be nice to be an hour from NYC by train but it's not a firm requirement. It's been suggested by people in the office that we should look in CT (vs NY) as the property taxes are much lower. Greenwich is out as it's too expensive. Ridgefield, CT comes highly recommended but I'm worried it's too far from the city. What about Norwalk, Darien or surrounding area? Stamford is also out as the schools look to have very low ratings.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:31 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

If you are buying the property taxes are lower, but the buy in cost is correspondingly higher. Closing costs help - the stamp tax in NY is unpleasant.

Darien is arguably more expensive than Greenwich.
Norwalk is cheaper, and I'd live there, but you will be commuting with traffic. Which will get old. Fast.

I still say rent for a year first. Take a week and tour the areas to see what you like. Drive from a few places to Purchase at rush hour - it can be worse than being in Toronto if you ever drove there.

The places I suggested originally are so you are effectively reverse commuting to Purchase but aren't in a crappy area and are still within striking range of the city. My advice though FWIW is find a cheaper hotel and look around.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:59 AM
a57356
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post

My daughter moved from NYC to Rye about 3 years ago just for the schools. Yes Rye is expensive but the schools and family atmosphere is great and they couldn't be happier.
Rye is easy, non-highway, commute to Purchase - 10 minutes or so.

I'm in Stamford so if you need help in CT let me know.

Jerry
Old 05-30-2017, 06:30 PM
alexl911
Pro

I've heard that people prefer to live in CT over NY due to the tax. If this is the case why does anyone live in NY 10min from the CT border? House prices don't seem to be that different??

Quick Reply: OT: Canadian moving to NY or CT???