Moving from SF => Boston

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 12:37 AM
dmarr
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving from SF => Boston

Hey all,
I'm a East coaster and been living in California for 13 years now. I bought my first p-car in June and been enjoying the year-round driving conditions out here.
My plan is to ship my 997.2 over to Boston in late march, and live downtown Boston (leather district). I know its not going to be the same, but hopefully there are some good roads and meetups to look forward to?
Old 02-27-2019, 09:01 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Welcome back.
Once you get outside of Boston there are some really nice roads. The south shore has a very active P car community. NER of the PCA is a great place to find the pulse.

Regards,

Old 02-27-2019, 12:55 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

No good roads within 2.0 hours of downtown Boston. Mainly because it’ll take you an hour just to get to route 128 unless it’s between 2am and 4am. Traffic inside 128 is always thick now. Rush hour is 5 to 11 and 2 to 8. Doesn’t thin out on the weekends much either. Traffic isn’t much better out to 495.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:17 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Yeah - there are some good roads in the 'Boston area' located in Vermont...

As noted above, there are too many cars and too few miles of paved surface on which to run them.

Maybe out in western MA?

Old 03-01-2019, 02:38 PM
dmarr
Track Day

Not the best news! I have been enjoying the time with the p-car out on the west coast. Is it still worthwhile to own such a nice machine in Boston, or should I opt-out and get a SUV (electric Jaguar i-Pace )
Old 03-01-2019, 04:02 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your choices are yours. You'll probably pay $500 or more per month just for a parking spot for your Porsche. Door dings, dead batteries, and flat tires will be free as well as any drivetrain damage if your only choice is a valet-only garage.

I see no point in owning a car - any car - if you spend all of your time in the center of Boston. If for some reason I found myself working in Downtown, I would lease/buy a place to sleep and shower, spend 4 10 to 16 hours days working in town, and spend three days at my house which is close-enough to roads worth the name. Unless of course, my employer was footing the bill for commuting by Helicopter.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:38 PM
dmarr
Track Day

@worf928 unfortunately no helicopter commuting in my future – rather boston to cambridge via bicycle when the weather permits. I think its sensible to think about living without a car, as I will have access to public transportation up the wazoo.
There is a big PCA event down the cape at the end of April that I'm considering. My only hangup is that the value of the car might not be as high trying to sell it on the east coast. Anyone have experience selling a car from west coast on the east coast?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2019, 10:50 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

check the NADA pricing giving it your current zip code, then with a Boston zip code.

I have a hunch you'll find the retail values for your car don't differ by much - if at all.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:57 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I mainly go to the track with the NER PCA, but they also put on other events throughout the year. It is a great group, and a good way to meet other car people.

I would probably sell the 911 if I were living/working in Boston, unless you plan on leaving the city often. I had an Audi A4 when I lived in Boston and called it my "golf cart" because 95% of its miles were to golf courses/ranges.

Dover, MA has great roads (both scenery and quality) and only 40 minutes from downtown. People have always thought I was exaggerating until I take them through a loop in Dover/Sherborn. I would not keep the 911 just to drive out here, but worth at least one trip once spring is here.

Originally Posted by dmarr
@worf928 unfortunately no helicopter commuting in my future – rather boston to cambridge via bicycle when the weather permits. I think its sensible to think about living without a car, as I will have access to public transportation up the wazoo.
There is a big PCA event down the cape at the end of April that I'm considering. My only hangup is that the value of the car might not be as high trying to sell it on the east coast. Anyone have experience selling a car from west coast on the east coast?

Thanks
West-coast cars are actually more desireable here (if you sell privately) since they have not spent winters driving on salt-covered roads. Spring is the best time to sell since people want to get a full season of driving in before winter hits again.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:45 PM
dmarr
Track Day

Thanks guys, I recently got the car here and look forward to taking it up to some roads in NH this weekend .My buddy has an R8 so if you have any desire to ride this weekend let me know!
Old 04-23-2019, 11:11 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have fun. It might actually be dry this weekend. Not that I’m going to bet on it.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:50 PM
tommyboy214
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys, I recently got the car here and look forward to taking it up to some roads in NH this weekend .My buddy has an R8 so if you have any desire to ride this weekend let me know!
If heading up to NH what about driving the kancamagus highway? Or a ride up 1A on the coast up to Maine. Plenty of roads to break off and hit the twisties.

There is a group called MASSBMW on FB. A guy Jim Kalweit organizes spirited drives for exotics. There is one in July that is a week end event in H w two days of track time. There are events regularly. Porsche of Norwell hosts PCA events often enough and the Maclaren Boston Cars and Coffee is right around the corner.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:30 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Congrats on getting the car out here. There are some decent roads starting in Concord and heading out west. Occasionally do some semi-organized drives starting in Lexington/Concord. Early on Saturday or Sunday mornings or evenings are great. I do impromptu drives out in this area almost every weekend. Heading out towards quabin reservoir is good.

As for living in Boston, it's definitely doable. I lived in Back Bay for many years and had good off street parking. You'll find a couple of Rennlisters that are in Back Bay as well.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:15 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

+1 on the Kanc. It is spectacular in the fall, but you need to go on a week day to avoid leaf peepers doing 15MPH.

We have some great roads in Dover, MA.

Quick Reply: Moving from SF => Boston