Notices

winter storage - opinions on storage options, methods

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 04:44 PM
CaymanS-06
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default winter storage - opinions on storage options, methods

Hello - So, this is the second winter I am garaging my Porsche Cayman S. And, well - like many other cars what I do is make sure the tires are always full of air (+3-5 psi) and typically take it for a spin every 2-3 weeks for 8-10 miles if I can.
I also store it with Stabil fuel additive and keep it on a tender, otherwise I noticed that in sub zero my battery dies - learned that last year, haha!

My question is this. This year, I want to change my oil, but I'm wondering - is there any benefit to drain the oil and store the car with no oil in it and put it up on 4 jack stands in my garage and still keep the car on a tender?

Or, does what I'm doing make more sense, exercise the car every once in a while and keep the oil in and stay happy since driving it every once in a while puts a smile on my face!!
Old 01-18-2019, 11:56 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I would either drive it more frequently, and take longer trips, or I would leave it in storage on a tender all winter.

Regarding draining the oil and leaving it on jack stands: Seems like a terrible idea. The suspension is designed to carry the weight of the car, not hang in the air for months. I can't understand why you would drain the oil and leave it empty; just do an oil change if needed. Also, you want to go higher than a few PSI over if you are storing the car all winter to avoid flat spots; I recall 50 PSI being mentioned in the 991 forum for storage, which is ~15 lbs over.

I drive my 911 all year, so my vote is to get out and drive it more
Old 01-18-2019, 04:34 PM
CaymanS-06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
I would either drive it more frequently, and take longer trips, or I would leave it in storage on a tender all winter.

Regarding draining the oil and leaving it on jack stands: Seems like a terrible idea. The suspension is designed to carry the weight of the car, not hang in the air for months. I can't understand why you would drain the oil and leave it empty; just do an oil change if needed. Also, you want to go higher than a few PSI over if you are storing the car all winter to avoid flat spots; I recall 50 PSI being mentioned in the 991 forum for storage, which is ~15 lbs over.

I drive my 911 all year, so my vote is to get out and drive it more
yeah, I prefer to drive it too. mistakenly took it out once last year and town of Sudbury had laid down some serious salt - I cringed for the better part of 1/2 mi. So that's all that scares me.

If it's decent/clean out post-storm, I like to take it out every 2 weeks if I can. I keep it on a tender and I keep the tp a bit high, not 15psi high because I'm constantly moving it...

Cheers to the advice - the dry storage without oil was just something dumb and you also helped confirm for me that suspension shouldn't just hang there.
BUT, what do these classic car people do when they store their cars? Are they just putting tons of air in their tires or what goes on? I'm so curious as I want to get into auctions and collecting. Have a great weekend!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanS-06
I keep it on a tender and I keep the tp a bit high, not 15psi high because I'm constantly moving it...
If you are just moving it around and not going for a drive then you can inflate it to just under the maximum sidewall tire pressure rating (do this before the ambient air temp starts getting cold or take into account that pressure will increase come spring) and not worry at all about flat spotting.

I also store it with Stabil fuel additive
Not required in New England for a single winter with Bosch or Continental fuel systems.

keep it on a tender, otherwise I noticed that in sub zero my battery dies - learned that last year,
When I leave cars sitting for a year or more (in the Berkshires...), I just pull the battery connector from the negative terminal.

Does what I'm doing make more sense, exercise the car every once in a while and keep the oil in and stay happy since driving it every once in a while puts a smile on my face!!
You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Pick your poison; in an unheated garage you'll end up with condensation and then water collecting in your oil (from not getting the oil above 212F) or corrosion pitting on your camshafts from not running it for months on end.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:13 AM
CaymanS-06
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Pick your poison; in an unheated garage you'll end up with condensation and then water collecting in your oil (from not getting the oil above 212F) or corrosion pitting on your camshafts from not running it for months on end.
thanks for the quick reply. welcome to the frozen tundra =( glad I got her out twice last week!

Quick Reply: winter storage - opinions on storage options, methods