Notices

Where to Get Snow Tires In Boston?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 11:17 AM
tinman831
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to Get Snow Tires In Boston?

Looking to fit my TT-S with snow/winter tires. I tried calling Burlington Porsche but they hung up on me the first time and told me they were going to call me back a second time because they were too busy (never called back). So where can I get a set of snow tires in the Boston area without going too far?
Old 11-10-2018, 02:39 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Retailer Locator
Old 11-11-2018, 09:20 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by tinman831
Looking to fit my TT-S with snow/winter tires. I tried calling Burlington Porsche but they hung up on me the first time and told me they were going to call me back a second time because they were too busy (never called back).

<sigh>Yes. PoB has fallen off a cliff in the last 2-ish years ago in terms of service front-end satisfaction. The senior techs, though, are good.

I would call PoB and ask to speak with Hayk Davtyan. He’s a service advisor with whom I’ve always had a 100% satisfactory experience (except for the too-busy part.) Assuming that the new environment hasn’t run Hayk off, leave a message if you can’t get him directly.

So where can I get a set of snow tires in the Boston area without going too far?
You have center lock wheels (CLWs)? Yes? (Standard equipment on TT-S.) If so, you are going to be limited to shops that have the tools for the CLWs. That’s going to be dealers and the odd independent Porsche shop.

If PoB is you nearest Dealer, Auto Engineering in Lexington looks like the closest Indy shop. You could call them and see if they are comfortable with CLWs.

I suggest starting a thread on the 991-Turbo forum. There are a handful of TTS folks ‘round here that winter DD and they might have a better recommendation.

Last, whatever you do, before you go for tire service, check all of your PCCB rotors for damage and take pictures of all your undamaged rotors. Then when you pick up the TTS check them for chip damage on the outer edges. The rotors are $4.5k each and chip easily (as the result of a technician smacking the edges with the wheel rim.)

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:42 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

You could also contact the Tire Rack (be$t prices for tires) and ask them for a recommended
shop for tire mounting & balancing - especially for:

1. center lock wheels

2. PCCB brake systems

Good luck!

BTW, is Hyak still there? The last two times I've been there, I haven't seen him around...
Old 11-13-2018, 11:16 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928

<sigh>Yes. PoB has fallen off a cliff in the last 2-ish years ago in terms of service front-end satisfaction. The senior techs, though, are good.

I would call PoB and ask to speak with Hayk Davtyan. He’s a service advisor with whom I’ve always had a 100% satisfactory experience (except for the too-busy part.) Assuming that the new environment hasn’t run Hayk off, leave a message if you can’t get him directly.

You have center lock wheels (CLWs)? Yes? (Standard equipment on TT-S.) If so, you are going to be limited to shops that have the tools for the CLWs. That’s going to be dealers and the odd independent Porsche shop.

If PoB is you nearest Dealer, Auto Engineering in Lexington looks like the closest Indy shop. You could call them and see if they are comfortable with CLWs.

I suggest starting a thread on the 991-Turbo forum. There are a handful of TTS folks ‘round here that winter DD and they might have a better recommendation.

Last, whatever you do, before you go for tire service, check all of your PCCB rotors for damage and take pictures of all your undamaged rotors. Then when you pick up the TTS check them for chip damage on the outer edges. The rotors are $4.5k each and chip easily (as the result of a technician smacking the edges with the wheel rim.)

Good luck.
+1 on Auto Engineering. They mounted/balanced tires on my Audi and 911 when I lived in Somerville; never damaged the wheels/tires; and always squeezed me in for an appointment. They used to charge $120 for 4 tires Hunter-Roadforce balanced, which was a good deal. Ask for Rick (tech/owner) and tell him James with the yellow 911 recommended them

Rick will give you all the specs after the tires are installed, and even take a quick look at the car to see if anything is wrong, which I liked.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:43 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by PSEE
BTW, is Hyak still there? The last two times I've been there, I haven't seen him around...
He doesn’t work every day, but I haven’t checked in a couple of months. I hope so.

This is what sucks about dealers: turnover is high. On other hand, good-at-their-jobs folks move up.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:44 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Rick at Auto Engineering has treated me well. Just had second set of tires mounted up this year.

Quick Reply: Where to Get Snow Tires In Boston?